Author Topic: Changing Camera System  (Read 15199 times)

Mike G

Changing Camera System
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:06:22 »
Hello all, for some time(over the last 18 months) I have been considering a move from The Nikon system mainly due to the bulk of the lenses and system constraints and so I'm investigating the Fujifilm system via an X-T1 and 18-55mm lens!
I did think maybe that the Df might be a way to go, but of course that still leaves me with big bulky lenses! It will be a wrench to leave Nikon after over twenty years, but the time has come to radically rethink what I want and my D810 although a fine fine camera, do I really need 36 MP, I think maybe not!

So the diminutive X-T1 is in the mixing pot for consideration. Initial thoughts are what a super little machine it is, first tries make me very pleased with the output. Another plus is that Fujifilm stuff does not attract the premium prices that Nikon gear does.

After a very short rummage around it is quite amazing how many Nikon bits and pieces I had accumulated over the years( I would hate to have to move house anytime soon!)

For those who have a read thank you, more to follow!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Changing Camera System
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:23:02 »
Before committing yourself to any final decision, do allow yourself the advantage of shooting both systems concurrently. You might see the situation clearer after a while. Only comprehensive shooting experience in practice will tell you how well the new (or old) system really handles.

Longer lenses, or those sporting a fast aperture, tend to be bulky and expensive no matter what format they are designed for.

Most uses of the acquired footage will not require massive MP numbers. Occasionally, having them is a blessing.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:25:22 »
How about Oly faster af than Fuji, Mike, good luck on your voyage anyhow! :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:38:26 »
The size of the lenses is a choice you make, If you stick to 'slow' fixed focal length f/1.8 or zoom lenses f/3.5 f/4 etc. you can keep them small even Nikkors in F mount are small, but as soon as you want fast glass or Pro glass they start to become larger and larger,,, except for the Leica M lenses, they are tiny :)
Erik Lund

Mike G

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:48:00 »
Bjorn yes I am shooting with both systems in parallel, not sure what you mean by "acquired footage"? I have had a tinker with the Df, fine camera but same lenses! Of course longer faster lenses do mean big and bulky, but I have found that I leave stuff at home because I don't want to carry it about(non driver) High MP figures do give the ability to crop and recompose, I understand that and have taken advantage of that quite a lot, but the extra baggage for that exercise is just too much! and my shoulders are not getting any younger.

Fons, I'm afraid that Olympus and I are destined to be strangers, never liked their gear al the way back to the 1960s, so I'm afraid that ain't happening. But thanks for the comment.

Thanks for the support!

Thanks Erik, that is exactly my problem the big bits of glass that I've bought because I thought that's what I wanted. Hence the time for a reappraisal. I have a couple of fixed lenses 35, 50, and 105 micro, but I end up not using them because a zoom is just that bit more versatile!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:58:58 »
I would suggest the old Pro duo kit 20-35mm f/2.8 AF-D and 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D on a Df
Erik Lund

stenrasmussen

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 10:14:32 »
I fully understand your line of arguments Mike.
Having jumped over from Nikon to the X-T1 and nice lenses twice (!) I am back with Nikon. Now, my primary reason was that I tried hard but found Nikon to be superior in helping me getting the shots I wanted of dimly lit stage dancers. Although I could squeeze out acceptable image quality from the RAFs I found the continuous AF to be a major shortcoming.
For anything but targets that move quickly and erratically I'd probably stayed with Fuji.
Ergonomically I found the X-T1 fine except for the rear command wheel which I think is too small and "hidden" just above the rubber thumb grip's upper ledge. BAD.
What I liked in particular - the lenses and although the EVF didn't really match and OVF in bright daylight it showed its muscles when light levels dropped.
Come to think about it...maybe I should get a Fuji again  ;D ::)

Fujilenses to love: 10-24, 14, 23, 56, 90 and 50-140. The kit lens, although a good performer, never made it to my heart. The 16-55 is just too big. Never liked the 18 and 27.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:45 »
Mike, running your Fuji and Nikon systems in parallel is a good idea, as Bjørn R suggests.  That is what I have done with my Nikon gear and the Olympus E-M1  (and the NEX3 and Panasonic G3 before that).

One of the hard choices with any system is to know just what lenses or gear to leave at home when going out on an outing or a trip.  One exercise is to deliberately go out with (say) just your camera and only one lens (or maybe two lenses) and only work with those for the day/trip.  It forces one to visualise what it is that you are after and to get you into a travelling light discipline, especially for those times when you are on foot.

BTW, Good luck with your Fuji.
Hugh Gunn

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 10:59:16 »
After thinking long and hard about switching I am still with my Nikongear plus the X100T for always with me.

you got a nice collection so why not supplement your bulky system with a Fuji X30? She has a Zoom. Great Video and
she pumps great shots from her one inch sensor.

A complete new system might just be overshooting your goal.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 11:00:56 »
Good luck with your adventure. The X-T1 is a very nice camera and I had one but in the end I switched back to a Nikon D750 due to more or less the same reasons as Sten mentions.
Jørgen Ramskov

Mike G

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 12:51:22 »
Thanks everybody, I just knew that NG would be brim full of useful advice.

And certainly I have a lot to consider, and Hugh has hit the nail on the head i.e. what do I take today? On a day out with Anthony I took just one lens a 24-120mm, that plus the D810 big old lumps!

Frank you are quite right a new system is a big step, but what's the point of having nice glass if you end up not using it? and thats why I am not rushing into a change

Sten, I have small hands and don't find the rear dial a problem, also the focus system has been updated recently. I'm no expert as you probably understand. The 10-24 may well be the next one on the list!

I will hope to see a major advance when the D810 replacement comes out, but I'm not chasing MP any more. D500 I hear you say, well the DX lens line up is just not up to the mustard in my eyes!

One thing for sure is that no one system is perfect!

stenrasmussen

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 12:53:40 »
I got small hands as well but taste differs so I understand. For my use the D500 might be the ticket as DX and a 24-70 would be ideal.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 13:24:44 »
I am running two systems for now, as neither completely fits my needs. 
Anthony Macaulay

Mike G

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 13:42:23 »
Anthony old chap you rich people are always the same.  ;)

Sten what about the wide end?

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 13:46:13 »
Mike
After having gone half way around the world from Australia thinking a light small camera would suffice and disappointed with the end pictures, I have always compromised and carry a Nikon DSLR whenever I go. I have recently gone down the full frame Sony route but good lenses are always big and small lenses will mean using manual focus. I'm useless with post processing and the Nikon files always look good. I usually travel with one really good quality prime.

Recently, I got a Coolpix A on closeout from B+H. It's been so good that I would almost be happy to leave my DSLR behind. The lens is a winner, the rendering just sweet and Nikon native AND it fits in my pants pocket. Perhaps a really high quality P+S may be the traveling companion you are missing!

Good luck! JJ

All from Coolpix A -