Author Topic: <knocking on the virtual door> Hello from Vienna  (Read 5107 times)

Andy

• NG Member
<knocking on the virtual door> Hello from Vienna
« on: January 13, 2016, 22:39:22 »
Hello all.
As this is my first post here at NikonGear, I'd like to use the opportunity to introduce myself. (I was a member of the old forum for a year - many years ago)

Summary (to save you reading time  :) )

Living in Vienna, Austria. Old, but curious. Started the digital journey with the D1. Almost no analog history - photo wise. Personally still analog, not yet digitally "upgraded". Would assume that the content of my camera bag would align nicely with the term "NikonGear". Reduced my time and focus on photography back in 2012. Got recently interested again for 2 reasons: 1) a littly puppy called Loki (of course cute, but challenging AF systems and exposure meters) and 2) the recent announcements by Nikon. Due to day job requirements, night and weekend photography seems to align well with these restrictions. Try to improve my understanding how things work, why and - more importantly - why not. Love to read other's insights, attempting to contribute back. Predominantely a post-midnight poster - unless in a different timezone. Photography = hobby, a tool and activity to relax and enjoy.

With that, thank you so much for creating this place to hang around and looking forward to the interesting discussions and interactions with all of you.

regards,
Andy

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
Re: <knocking on the virtual door> Hello from Vienna
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 22:48:01 »
Hi Andy, welcome!

Nicely written introduction, by the way.
-/-/-

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 23:02:13 »
Welcome!
I hope you will feel at home here 😉
My digital journey also started out with the D1 Nikon, I recall the amount of batteries it consumed and the overall challenge of getting colors right,,, But a wonderful machine and a perfect entry into DSLR 😉
Erik Lund

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 23:11:48 »
Welcome here, Andy.
Bruno Schröder

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 23:20:55 »
Thank you Thomas, Bruno and Erik for the nice welcome.

Erik,
the D1 was really a revelation for me at that time. Was quite happy with the results then (seemingly, the better my equipment became over time, my results degraded  ;) - I should probably migrate back to the D1 again :) ). Oh yeah, I remember the endless discussions about the color cast on the d1scussion forum. There was also the unofficial D1FAQ.pdf by Gerhard Strobl (also from Vienna). The 118 page PDF was a valuable reference for many questions of new D1 users at that time.

A pic with the D1, shot 15 years ago, just resized

regards,
Andy

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 23:21:02 »
Hello Andy
Welcome here from my side, and Greetings from Vienna to Vienna ;)
I remember you from the old board - and it might as well be that we share the same Nikon- gear vendor
best wishes and enjoy the new Forum.
Wolfgang Rehm

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 23:52:05 »
Servus Wolfgang (Vienneese 101: "Servus" means "Hi"),
many thanks for the welcome note. I will definitely enjoy the new forum. :)
wrt to the store: Might very well be, there aren't that many Nikon stores in town.

regards,
Andy

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 00:20:10 »
Grüßgott Andy - from Lille, but I resided in Hütteldorf, then Hietzing 1957 (age 0) -1964... and was there again last December. We'll sure meet electronically after midnight, more often than none.
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 00:42:03 »
Guten Abend, Andy!

I started with the Minolta Dimage 7 ... then Nikon D70 ... then Nikon D3 ... The more I think about gear the more I come to the following conclusion:

1) I cannot increase my talent
2) I can increase practice
3) I can increase know-how
4) Therefore I should invest in practice & know-how
5) equipment is fascinating but overrated

Willkommen im Forum. Es lohnt sich!
[Welcome to the forum, It is worth it!]
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 01:14:09 »
Welcome, Andy. This is an active and thriving community as it is a collective undertaking. Add according to capability and take as required.

Regarding the D1, I have many fond memories of that camera. Leaving out the battery performance (for now), just commenting on the colours. At its introduction few photographers had any idea about colour spaces and colour management at all, and sometimes I think the Nikon engineers at the time fell into the same category by making the camera operate with an NTSC-like colour space that nobody had expected much less knew how to handle; the latter included software offerings as well. Once one treated the D1 NEFs properly, they delivered surprisingly good results (seen in the perspective of its time). My stock library continues to sell my D1-based images to this very day. Many printing purposes don't require huge 30-40 megapixel files.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 08:41:10 »
Servus Wolfgang (Vienneese 101: "Servus" means "Hi"),
many thanks for the welcome note. I will definitely enjoy the new forum. :)
wrt to the store: Might very well be, there aren't that many Nikon stores in town.

regards,
Andy
Servus Andi
And I meant "Foto Sobotka" at Mariahilferstraße near Westbahnhof
Wolfgang Rehm

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 20:09:06 »
Wolfgang,
I wasn't there for quite a (long) while, but I got my AFS 200-500mm just before christmas there.
rgds,
Andy 

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 20:30:23 »
Wolfgang,
I wasn't there for quite a (long) while, but I got my AFS 200-500mm just before christmas there.
rgds,
Andy
Tested both the 200-500 and the 80-400 there and recently got the 80-400
Cheers, Wolfgang
Wolfgang Rehm

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 13:37:44 »
Hello all. As this is my first post here at NikonGear, I'd like to use the opportunity to introduce myself. (I was a member of the old forum for a year - many years ago) Summary (to save you reading time  :) ) Living in Vienna, Austria. Old, but curious. Started the digital journey with the D1. Almost no analog history - photo wise. Personally still analog, not yet digitally "upgraded". Would assume that the content of my camera bag would align nicely with the term "NikonGear". Reduced my time and focus on photography back in 2012. Got recently interested again for 2 reasons: 1) a littly puppy called Loki (of course cute, but challenging AF systems and exposure meters) and 2) the recent announcements by Nikon. Due to day job requirements, night and weekend photography seems to align well with these restrictions. Try to improve my understanding how things work, why and - more importantly - why not. Love to read other's insights, attempting to contribute back. Predominantely a post-midnight poster - unless in a different timezone. Photography = hobby, a tool and activity to relax and enjoy. With that, thank you so much for creating this place to hang around and looking forward to the interesting discussions and interactions with all of you. regards,  Andy

Welcome Andy,

I appreciate your well researched contributions and insights at that other German Nikon forum already for quite a while.
I am pretty sure that you will feel well at home here. :)

Looking forward to reading more from you,
Günther
Guenther Something

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 00:33:36 »
Hi Günther, thank you for your kind welcome remarks.
regards,
Andreas