Author Topic: What was your first camera ?  (Read 13663 times)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
What was your first camera ?
« on: January 08, 2016, 12:40:53 »
I think for most of us, our first camera is hardly forgettable, like...your first flirt/lover ! ;D

Well, photography is for me, a passion. I could hardly live without camera, hence these memories.

I was 12 years old. My godmother gave me, as communion's present, a camera.

It was a plastiky one, very , very basic one. But I used it a lot, bringing it everywhere.

You can see in pictures, that even the iris was basic : no adjustable blades, but just a lever with two holes with different diameters, so two stops only !

The frame was 6x9cm. two speeds only according luminosity. No focal length mentioned.

I had to pull the front prior shooting.

If you have image of your first camera, please, show us.

Here are pics of mine as I still have it. ;)
Francis Devrainne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: What was your first camera ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 12:52:08 »
My first was an "Agfa Box" in the early 1970ies when I was 6 or 7, Plastic in a Brown leather screw on skin, ate 6cm wide film rolls, 12 exp per film as 6x6 qcm if I remember correctly.

BW-results were OK, COLOR-results were very questionable

No love at all.

The first camera I really loved and used a lot was a Zenit 11 (for my 17th birthday ~150 German Marks) with builtin Selen meter and a 2.0/58 screw in exchangable lens. But that was my second cam...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 13:06:29 »
Probably used my father's camera when I was young, the Voigtlander Vitoret, which was also my first camera. Later I bought an Olympus OM2-n.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 13:08:56 »
My first was an "Agfa Box" in the early 1970ies exchangable lens.

Your cam was very popular at this time. I think it was ''killed'' when the instamatic Kodak appeared.

The ultra Fex is from late fifties/early sixties (when I got it).

When I was older, i dreamed about the Foca (with exchangeable lenses), but I couldn't afford it at this time. So, I bought a Kodak compact (24x36mm) which was very good.

Francis Devrainne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 13:09:16 »
Later I bought an Olympus OM2-n.

The first I bought myself from self earned money was an Olympus OM-1n very cool cameras these Olys at that time!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 13:10:06 »
Yes, Indeed :D  In those days

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 13:16:15 »
My first camera was a Contax II rangefinder. A WW II bounty given me by my father in the early '60s.

Then became a poor student later to win the National lottery and thus able to purchase a full Nikon F outfit (lenses, motor drives, etc.).

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 13:18:18 »
My first camera was my mothers.  It was a Kodak box camera producing eight 6cm x 9cm images from a roll of 620 film.  It had a built in filter for B&W and two metal hole type apertures and contacts for a flash.  My sister still has the camera.

The second was a Paxette IIL, with a leaf shutter (B and 1 sec to 1/500sec), and three lenses: a 35mm Staeble Lineogon (with the same optics as the 35mm Novoflexar of UV fame), a Staeble Katagon 50mm f/2.8, and a  Staeble Telexon 135mm f/4.5.

The third was the Nikkormat FTn with the 50mm Nikkor SC multicoated f/1.4 lens.  I still have my second and third cameras and their lenses.  The 50mm Nikkor I still in fact use.  It has had a CPU chip from Bjørn installed and is as smooth to operate as when I first acquired it new in 1974.  I added a black FT3 Nikkormat a few years later - a lovely machine.
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 13:52:37 »
My first camera was Olympus Pen EE-2.  I believe it is lying around somewhere.  My first SLR was Canon AE-1 Program that I bought while I was living in Munich.  I sold it after a couple of month to replace with Nikon FM2.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 14:12:38 »
My first camera was (Akira) Canon AE-1 Program that I still have and that I inherited from my father.
The first camera that I bought was the Nikon D70.

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 14:23:49 »
A Nikon F80...
All the previous ones were from my father's collection.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 14:26:08 »
My first camera was (Akira) Canon AE-1 Program that I still have and that I inherited from my father.
The first camera that I bought was the Nikon D70.

AE-1P was an epoch-making camera to incorporate the program automatic for the first time, and was more affordable than A-1.  I added a motor winder and I remember the combo sounded quite squeaky.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 14:30:55 »
A 6x6 cm medium format plastic camera in my childhood, Agfa "Click I", or was it "Click III"? Fixed focus, cannot recall that it had any adjustment for shutter speed and aperture settings. Several of my siblings got the same. The only medium format slides I ever captured was with this camera model.

(Image by Sujit kumar, Creative Commons licence)
Øivind Tøien

Merco_61

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Peter Sundstedt Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 14:58:45 »
The first cameras I used was my mother's Kodak Retinette II and my father's Contax II. My first camera was a Rolleiflex K4B that my father bought newly serviced for me when I turned 8 in December 1977. My first SLR was a Pentax Spotmatic SP500 around 1980. The Pentax was replaced with a Minolta SR-7, that was replaced with a Canon A-1 and then I finally landed in the Nikon camp in 1991 with an FE and 24/2.8, 50/1.8 and 105/2.5 lenses.
Peter Sundstedt

—Machina fotografica necesse est—

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 15:39:54 »
my first cam i remember was one with the film in plastic cassette, which you put into the camera, might have been Kodak
my first DSLR was a Yashica Elektro
my first Digicam was a Nikon 950 or 990
my first digital DSLR was a Nikon D200 (still alive like new)
Thomas Stellwag