Author Topic: What was your first camera ?  (Read 13592 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: What was your first camera ?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 21:23:54 »
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxkamera#/media/File:Bilora_Boy_BW.JPG

i asked my father. Not Agfa Box. Bilora Boy. But this ist 43 years ago!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

will

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 23:26:43 »
It wasn't my camera, but it was the first I had access to and used. It was my dads' Nikon FM2 paired with a 35/2 and a 50 of some sort.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 23:31:41 »
My first camera was a Kodak Baby Brownie 127 box camera, four box tops and 50 cents. It was followed by a couple more Kodak 127 roll cameras and then a Kodak Instamatic 100. A major frustration with all of these cameras their fixed focus. I wanted a camera that focused close.

In 1970 I bought my first "real" camera, a Nikkormat FTn with a 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor-P. About a year latter I bought a used Nikon FT with a 50/1.4 Nikkor-S and a 135/2.8 Nikkor-Q. After some trading I ended up with a Nikon F (standard prism), 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor-P, 105/2.5 Nikkor-P and a Gosson Pilot. I did most of my early learning with the Nikon F adding a 24/2.8 Nikkor and a Gosson Luna Pro. In 1973 I built my first permanent darkroom.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 23:37:35 »
Or a SR-7 that had a coupled built-in meter even if it wasn't TTL.
Thank you, yes an SR-7 looks exactly how I remember the camera, with the meter  window on the left of the body, the meter dial indicated what aperture should be used for the selected speed and ASA.
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 04:43:40 »
My first real camera as an FE in 1979, with a 50mm f1.4 AI.  Bought a 135mm f3.5 AI soon afterwards.  I thought I was 'The Man' with that camera!
I loved that camera.
I still have the FE and the 135.  Gave the 50mm to my brother a long time ago. 
Frederick V. Ramsey

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 06:41:54 »
Digression: It would be fun to have every camera I've ever owned, but it would be even more fun to have every bicycle I've ever owned.
Please now return to first cameras...
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Almass

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 10:53:36 »
First camera was a Leica hand me down from parents.

First purchased camera from Sunday's savings was a Kodak Instamatic 126

First cheap camera was a Petri

First fun camera was a Minox

First clever camera was Canon A1

First serious camera Nikon F

First useless camera Alpa

First Digital camera Sony 5meg

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 19:23:10 »
Zenith E with the meter on the front of the prism, preset aperture.

What I regard as my first "proper" camera was a Canon FTb - I still have it.

John

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2016, 19:52:43 »

First serious camera Nikon F1

First Digital camera Sony 5meg

guess you mean the Nikon F not the Canon F1? ;-)
Wolfgang Rehm

Almass

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2016, 21:36:51 »
guess you mean the Nikon F not the Canon F1? ;-)

Yes. Thank you. Now corrected.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 05:26:03 »
This thread reminds me how young I am!  My first camera I was actually interested in was a Panasonic DMC-FZ20.  It was the first time I had seen a large front element and was mesmerized by it!  First real camera for me was a D70 with the 18-70mm kit lens.  Soon after I got a 50mm f/1.8 and out went the zoom.  I feel I did not discover photography until I got that 50mm.  The speed opened a lot of doors, but the fixed focal length was key for me.  Suddenly having to move to get the right framing forced me to physically interact with the process.  That opened a whole new world up.
-Tristin

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 09:37:54 »
This thread reminds me how young I am!

Tristin, you make us feel that's ''the baby boomer's thread''... ;D

By the way, the D70 was my first digital camera. ;)
Francis Devrainne

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 10:19:08 »
In about 1970 - a Yashica GT Electro 35.
Fixed 35mm f1.7  with attachable wide and telephoto lenses. It was marketed as a low light camera.

Mongo still has the whole kit in mint condition.

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 22:38:51 »
  • First cam ever: a snapshot camera around 1980, fixed focus with 3 (!) settings: sun, cloudy, and flash (probably a Ricoh).
  • First slr: leaf shutter Kodak Retinareflex III with 50 mmm lense around 1988, two years later also the accompanying 28 mm and 135 mm lenses, filters and bag (my grandpa's old camera set) - by then quite envious of "modern" slrs with zoom lenses, but the lenses by Schneider Kreuznach are really good. Dropped once around 1988 (prism damage) and nevertheless repaired without objections by Kodak Stuttgart
  • First Nikon: F301 (handed over by my dad after purchasing the F801) with 50 mm 1.8D, 28-70 mm, and Tamron 70-300 mm.
  • First digital cam: Casio QV-3500EX in 2001 - finally digital but impossibly slow! Healed me from digicam GAS for quite some time!
  • First dslr: D700 in 2011, reawakening of my interest in photography with the first "affordable" 35 mm dslr.
This thread reminds me how young I am!
Looking at my "firsts" list above I am actually starting to feel old! :p
Guenther Something

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 08:46:13 »
Technically, my first working camera:
Imperial™ Twin lens reflex (620) - Christmas gift. Shot a roll, or two, with limited success owing to the fact I kept forgetting to advance the film to the next unexposed frame. Used thereafter, if not mostly as a toy then as a talisman to the gods of light and composition. (Loved those huge, blue flashbulbs! Hours of fun!)

Second, but first to be put to any real practical use:
 Polaroid Swinger™ - A gift in deference for performing my holy duty, and thus attaining my heart's desire. The camera that truly earned me the accolade "photographer", however sorely overrated I was and continue to be. I still have several images taken with it in my archives. Mostly of sentimental value now, but a few are quite good -- even historic!

First "Nikon anything" (not my first 35mm or SLR):
 * Nikkormat Ft-N™ - chrome body, used (six months old); $109 . Lenses: Vemar™ 28mm and 200mm; $35 [?] the pair, used. (Lenses purchased from a really famous, photography teacher -- every year, at least one of his students placed nationally in a Kodak™ sponsored contest -- who had recently acquired them from a colleague that just returned from South Africa. May well have been Mars, back in those days. Prompted me to wonder, Where the hell is South Africa? No! Don't tell me! I'll figure it out for myself.)

[*addendum: My first "Nikon anything" as it were, was in fact a Nikkormat™ Ft-N -- not a "Nikon" as previously stated and subsequently corrected as of this writing. (It was late and I was exhausted, so sue me!) After a scant two years use, if even that long, it was willfully destroyed, and beyond any hope for economical repair, and was soon replaced by my first (used) Nikon F, purchased without a finder, then shortly after equipped with a *new-ish/unused standard, eye level, "penta prism" finder. (*At that time, it was not uncommon in some certain New York City neighborhoods for buyers to leave those "meterless" [sic] finders with the dealer when instead opting for the Ft-N meter-finder on a new purchase. What the buyer was never told was, that they owned both finders at point-of-sale and that they just effectively gave one away. Good news for young hippies, like me!) Both were acquired from separate vendors, for what even in those days were "a song", or about a week and a half's minimum wages. I merely felt compelled to add all this upon reviewing this thread, and discovering the Nikkormat Ft-N to Nikon F genesis was not unique to my situation, or perhaps circumstances a well. Besides, I've way too much time on my hands today.]