Author Topic: nikkor 105mm f/2 DC  (Read 14003 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
nikkor 105mm f/2 DC
« on: January 06, 2016, 20:27:41 »

this 105mm/f2DC is one of my favourite lenses for delicate skintones
just a spontaneous shot of my granddaughter while she munches on a cookie

Df 105mm @ f3.2 iso 1130

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: nikkor 105mm f/2 DC
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 20:32:02 »
Yes, I like the 105 DC a lot. A pity it has the propensity to self-destruct spontaneously by splitting apart along the A/M selector ring. My first sample did that on a mountain peak in the Czech Republic some years ago. Nikon couldn't fix it as they were out of spare parts. A close friend did a makeshift repair after I gave the lens parts to him. He forced the lens halves together with tape and rely on AF, as the manual focusing is gone forever. He is a happy camper though.

Later, I yielded and purchased another 105 DC. This time, the A/M ring is literally sealed for eternity by epoxy and tape.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 20:47:16 »
I remember you mentioned that before; on shots like this i have to rely on af pinpoint focussing on the eye.
Imho Nikon is long overdue on updating a few longer primes the 105mm f/2, 135mm f/2, 180 or 200mm f/2.8,
although not necessarily optically.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 20:52:46 »
I love the 105DC, it has the almost magical ability to make the (people) subjects look good without touch-ups. I wish Nikon updated this lens with AF-S.

I had major focus problems with my 105 DC when combined with my D800 which required very different AF fine tune settings at different subject to camera distances, making its use hugely stressful. With my D810 these problems are absent, and I'm all excited again with regards to using the lens which is one of my all time favorites.

Vilhelm

• Mr.
  • NG Member
  • Gone fishing
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 23:35:00 »
One of the (many) daily worries of a studio portrait photographer is skin tone, more specifically how different lenses (and RAW converters) mess up with your subjects/clients skin tones. The 105/2D AF DC as well as the 135/2D AF DC belong to that list of lenses which give you less gray hair than most lenses, simpy because the 105/2D DC paints v e r y natural skin tones.

The DC function (introducing spherical aberrations) is hard to learn and harder to use properly, and the screw-driven AF will produce more duds than an AF-S lens will. Put those aside, those two DC lenses are true gems and given the aftermarket price (105/2D DC goes for about 600-700 EUR, whereas 135/2D DC is about 700-800 EUR) it is hard for any studio photographer using Nikon DSLR to really neglect them. Yes, the 85/1.4G is outstanding, but it is a very different focal length and perspective than the 105 or 135.

The 105/2D DC is almost always in my wedding bag, where it sees use during dinner speeches and portrait sessions. The only lens that could take its place in my bag would be an AF-S 105/1.8 G/E Nikkor, but so far the news on any updates of this lens have not materialized. Some argue that the 105/2.8G AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor is sharper (true), but it is one f-stop slower and more importantly - in this World there exists no bride who likes to see the skin detail the Micro-Nikkor is capable of resolving (which effectively renders it unusable for wedding documentaries bar close-ups of the rings). The 105/1.8 Ai-S is clearly inferior in detail, skin tones (too cold) and overall character when shot wide open and compared to the 105/2D DC.
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
- George Bernard Shaw

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:01 »
Bjørn, was generous enough to allow me to shoot his 105/2 DC during our Photokina trip in 2014.
It is a great lens without a doubt!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:20:08 »
Jakov gets this dreaming look in his eyes whenever he fondles the 105 DC ... (on our way to Photokina 2014, Df with 24/2 Nikkor)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:22:16 »
I caught a glimpse of Bjørn too :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 12:13:02 »
As stated a favourite of mine maybe i should get the 135/2dc as well, words say it is less sharp and more prone to CA, just have the ai version which is different optically.

an example of the 135/2 ai wide open on a D800:

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 12:16:07 »
Elsa Hoffmann swears by the 135 mm f/2 Nikkor DC for studio work. I tried out her lens and it produced sweet images on the Df, perhaps with a little less 'bite' than the 105 DC.

The 135/2 Nikkor (AI, AIS) is a quite different beast and should not be confused with the DC model.

Vilhelm

• Mr.
  • NG Member
  • Gone fishing
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 13:16:04 »
135/2D DC is definitely less sharp than the 105/2D DC, especially wide open. But, I don't find the resolving power an issue because when you use a 135mm lens in a studio you are composing tight portraits, and too much skin detail can be an issue when the model is your client. When you send images off to a retoucher then you want maximum detail and depth of field...

They are both excellent lenses, with natural skin tones and delicate detail just perfect for portraits. I can't praise them too much for studio work, color & bw.

Wide open 105/2D DC in a studio leaves little to desire in detail, but the 135/2D DC wide open may sometimes be too soft unless you look for a soft look. Stopped down, the 105/2D DC matches detail at f/2.8 that the 135/2D DC does at f/4, from f/4 forward it's really hard to tell which one is better. Both lenses from f/5.6 to f/11 they both draw more detail than a D810 sensor can resolve. Future-proof lenses when it comes to resolving power, that is.

This is however nitpicking - both DC Nikkors are fabulous studio lenses. Will post later examples of what I've captured with them in a studio environment.
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
- George Bernard Shaw

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 19:26:19 »
although I find my lens sharp  - I really wouldn't want it any sharper for my studio work. Especially on women. (more so on older woman)
This lens always gives me the results I want.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 20:49:59 »
To clarify, you use the 135 DC isn't that so, Elsa? At least you did when I visited you last September.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 20:57:59 »
That is correct Bjørn.
I just wish my studio was 1 m longer -  or 2 or 3...
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 00:44:29 »
I've yet to handle a DC, the thought of controlling the bokeh's appearance sounds like a lot of fun.  Though, I am not into portraiture and prefer straight blades.  Still would love to toy around with one though!
-Tristin