Author Topic: Nikongear Scotland Meetup - May 2016 *** PAYMENT DETAILS NOW AVAILABLE ***  (Read 20263 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
I will make a list of recommended clothing etc later.

Thank you. If we can get a guided tour and clear instructions on equipment I am in for a long walk with steep parts but not rope climbing or such. In the latter case I would just spoil the tour for the extreme mountaineers
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear

Thank you. If we can get a guided tour and clear instructions on equipment I am in for a long walk with steep parts but not rope climbing or such. In the latter case I would just spoil the tour for the extreme mountaineers

Frank, I am not an alpine guide and cannot, nor want to provide a guided tour. I cannot and will not take responsibility for others.
On the other hand I am sufficiently self-reliant that I would not want to spend the money to hire one.

Having said without the snow that the hike does not have anything difficult on a technical level (just a bit of easy scrambling on An Stuc) and anyone with previous hiking experience in places like the Alps should be fine if they chose to join me.

Ropes would not be required in any event. Ice axe and crampons might be necessary in the presence of lingering snow if one wants to complete the circuit, but shorter "there and back" options are most likely possible without them.

Simone Tomasi

simsurace

• NG Member
Thanks for the crampon explanation.

I have a Hanwag Tatra boot which looks almost the same category as your Scarpa SL, except for the materials. Good news that there are some crampons which I can mount.

I will certainly join the hike. If the snow conditions are too difficult in certain spots, I think that we can still find a detour which avoids those places. I will join even if the weather is rainy/cloudy, it makes for very interesting photographs. The distance is fine for me.

I understand that everyone does the hike at his/her own risk.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Ropes would not be required in any event. Ice axe and crampons might be necessary in the presence of lingering snow if one wants to complete the circuit, but shorter "there and back" options are most likely possible without them.

The last thing I would want to do is to spread fear and alarm over a (probably) straightforward day out in the hills. I just wanted to point out that even in spring there are dangers lurking for the unwary. Also it is easy to underestimate the Scottish mountains because they are not very high; but approaches and descents can be long and tiring, the weather can change in a couple of seconds, and conditions can be wintry even in May and June. And if there is more than 10-15% snow cover I would not consider going into these hills without an ice-axe.

A glimpse of one of our big, bad hills (Meall Ghaordaidh) this morning -

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
Simone,
Thank you for the effort you are putting in regarding organising the hike. Yes I am fully aware the risks are all mine to decide to take. And I am more than willing to bail out if need be, so as not to spoil the hike for you and other more experienced hikers.

Cheers
Bez

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
The last thing I would want to do is to spread fear and alarm over a (probably) straightforward day out in the hills. I just wanted to point out that even in spring there are dangers lurking for the unwary. Also it is easy to underestimate the Scottish mountains because they are not very high; but approaches and descents can be long and tiring, the weather can change in a couple of seconds, and conditions can be wintry even in May and June. And if there is more than 10-15% snow cover I would not consider going into these hills without an ice-axe.

A glimpse of one of our big, bad hills (Meall Ghaordaidh) this morning -

I completely agree. It all depends on the state of the mountain at the time and on the forecast.

The view of Meall Ghaordaidh is beautiful, I wish I was there.
I did it in late Feb two years ago as a short hike on the way home from a long weekend I spent hiking with friends in Drumnadrochit.
It was the best weather for the whole weekend, we ascended in the bright sun and lovely powdery snow.
We reached the top and within 5 minutes a black cloud rushed toward us from Glen Lyon. We made a runner downhill and avoided the worst of the snow, but this goes to prove what Dave said.
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Thank you all for joining in and organizing, Dave and Simone your just raising awareness and that is nice!

Staying together is a basic rule also in the mountains, but yes sometimes you simply need to split up, I will be willing to lead a group back down if we feel we are getting in too deep and let Simone continue alone, sounds like he has done so before and I'm completely fine with that.
I have kept a group together before as well as done a lot on my own.
It's all up to the weather and conditions on the day!

Great shot Dave ;)
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
To all who wanted to see a list, please look at this link:

http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/mountainguideequip.html

It is a quite complete list, and some items I never bothering taking (midge repellant, sun screen, wistle, survival bag and -horror, horror! - the first aid kit*) but I would take seriously the part on clothing.
Others I only use seasonally, like hot drinks (only in winter). Also unlike most Brits I don't do gaiters, almost all the time, and never had a problem.

I do however always take wind/waterproof over trousers, and use them fairly frequently.
I am a big fan of walking poles, they help a lot both going up and down. Never go for the fancy ones, buy the cheapest you can find (mine were £10 a pair)
Lastly, don't forget a nice pair of thick, cushioned socks! (I also use very thin liners inside - I avoided for many years but I have become a convert to liners about 8 years ago).

* I know I will get some flak for this one... my point is that a few plasters are not useful at all, I have not needed compeed for about 25 years, and if something more serious happens it will require more equipment and skills than most first-aid-kit-owning mountaineers possess. The best defense is prevention.
Simone Tomasi

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
Thank you for the link Simone   ....the list looks pretty basic and I have all the clothing items mentioned. As long as conditions are not too severe I am keen to challenge myself.

Cheers
Bez

Anthony

• NG Supporter
For anyone with travel insurance who may use crampons or ice axes, it is worth checking your travel insurance, as some policies exclude such activities.
Anthony Macaulay

David Paterson

• NG Member
Since the talk has turned to hill-walking, I decided to post a few new pics of the hills we are talking about.

There will be a new thread in the nature, landscapes etc section, called "Killin - Chamonix of the North"!

David Paterson

• NG Member
Folks - the due date of 12th March approaches, by which time we have to pay the full amount of the rental on our three lodges. As of today, 25th Feb. 9 members have paid £90.00 and 7 have paid £100.00, two have still to pay, and one late entrant has paid £85 which should have been £100.

9 @ £90.00       £810.00
7 @ £100.00     £700.00
                      £1510.00 paid

PLUS 1 @ £100
          1 @ £85
          1 @ £15

Likely total       £1710.00

The nine early payers who paid £90 will unfortunately have to bring their contribution up to £100, but we will sort this out when actually at the Lodges. On 12th March I will go to the Lodges and make sure payment of £1800 is made in full, and I will pay any shortfall. If there is a shortfall, it's only fair to warn members that this will have to be shared among the group.   :-\

Any questions, please post here or PM me.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Thanks, Dave, I will happily pay my share.
Anthony Macaulay

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Thank you Dave for the overview.
I remember you mentioning something about not so good WiFi internet connections. Shall we come with signal amplifiers?
It would be a pity not to be able to login on NG and share photos...

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Should we not take another peron in from the waiting list?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/