Author Topic: Escape from the Dark Side  (Read 2651 times)

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Escape from the Dark Side
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:22:26 »

Not sure what possessed Mongo to create this composite image from the eye of a lorikeet image. Perhaps in a dark and somber mood one day.

In case you are not familiar with lorikeets, an image of one has been included at the end.

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
Re: Escape from the Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:29:55 »
Peter thinks the idea is very cool, but he would like the result better if a little bit more attention was paid to details. The reflection of light is in the top of the left eye and in the bottom of the right eye, reducing the impact a lot.

He does commend the effort and idea though.

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 14:00:42 »
Thomas thinks that this is a glimpse of more evil melange going on behind the creatures forehead.
It's just a snap of a moment of something dynamic which does not obey the restrictions of a single coordinate system.
Once it focusses on you it'll get hypnotic, perhaps pulling one down.
That's why Thomas prefers it stored safely.

ship's jail by lumofisk, on Flickr
-/-/-

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 21:01:14 »
thank you Peter - a very valid and worthy point. Mongo will have to revise the image. Glad you liked the idea.

Thank you also Thomas - a near perfect interpretation of the intended purpose of this image. As such, it may pose a danger to those easily drawn to the dark side of life. Mongo agrees and is very grateful that you have safe storage readily on hand for just such occasions.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 21:15:09 »
Somebody who isn't me thinks the reflections coming from opposing directions gives more of a sense of confusion and delusion in this character you have created. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 21:19:48 »
Mongo the idea is brilliant!
The non-symmetric reflecting light in the eyes is putting me off a bit :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 23:09:27 »
Somebody who isn't me thinks the reflections coming from opposing directions gives more of a sense of confusion and delusion in this character you have created. Not necessarily a bad thing.

thanks Charlie. To be honest, this was Mongo's thought also when creating the image. Something based on no normality (as this subject is) was not meant to be technically correct.

Mongo the idea is brilliant!
The non-symmetric reflecting light in the eyes is putting me off a bit :)

Thank you Jakov for your feedback.

It seems there are two schools of thought from the responses. One is from an experienced trained photographic eye which would notice the reflections not being where they would ordinarily be relative to each other  in normal circumstances. To this observer, this may be too difficult to ignore (and Mongo understands that). The other is also an experienced photographer but is looking more for the meaning in the image rather than technical correctness (or can look past the technical incorrectness); especially where the subject itself is meant to be quite unusual and abnormal/distorted. Both are valid views. However, both seem to like the idea and that is the part Mongo is trying to sell - so, he is content about that and grateful for all views and comments.

Perhaps the answer here would be to correct the reflections to “normal” which would satisfy one school of thought without necessarily compromising the idea which would also satisfy the other school of thought. This is a good example of how valuable it is to get feedback from a cross section of photographers. Thank you all

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 14:34:11 »
Mongo, the image is good as composed. It works without the explanation.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 17:29:52 »
Gary is fascinated with the image. But, (the big but), Gary would like to see a bit more gradation of the transition from shadow to light.  Gary thinks a few smaller but similar eyes in the background would scare the bejibbers out of him. 
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 23:55:39 »
Mongo, the image is good as composed. It works without the explanation.

thank you John for your comments - much appreciated.

Gary is fascinated with the image. But, (the big but), Gary would like to see a bit more gradation of the transition from shadow to light.  Gary thinks a few smaller but similar eyes in the background would scare the bejibbers out of him.

Thank you Gary for your comments. Funny you should mention the feathering in (no pun intended) of the transition between light and dark. Mongo had thought exactly that but decided to post as it was. Just being a bit lazy. He should now go back to his original thoughts based on your confirmation. Mongo had not thought of the idea of additional smaller  and similar eyes in the background but that is a great idea ! Mongo has decided to redo this image from scratch incorporating some of the ideas provided by the members.

BWT - scaring “the bejibbers” out of the viewers may be an added bonus free exorcism - not a bad thing ?? !  ;D

Almass

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 00:24:53 »
When I opened this post, I had my laptop screen tilted backwards a bit which showed a more sinister and spooky image.

Having read about the catchlight position, I redressed my screen and it was more pronounced and did take away from the image.

The long and short for Mango is to have the same dark effect of tilting back the screen by having the whole image darkened.

Mongo might like it.

And why everybody is using the third person thingy?

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 01:41:02 »
When I opened this post, I had my laptop screen tilted backwards a bit which showed a more sinister and spooky image.

Having read about the catchlight position, I redressed my screen and it was more pronounced and did take away from the image.

The long and short for Mango is to have the same dark effect of tilting back the screen by having the whole image darkened.

Mongo might like it.

And why everybody is using the third person thingy?

big thanks Almas for that additional insight and ideas.

As to the third person thingy, it may be catching but is not at all mandatory or even solicited. Mongo though he was the only one who suffers from it.

thanks again for your helpful comments.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 18:22:35 »
Speaking for myself only and no third partys whatsoever, it already scares the bejibbers out of me.