Author Topic: Hosted on Flickr question  (Read 5739 times)

greben

• Southeast Pennsylvania, USA
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My Facebook Photo Page
Hosted on Flickr question
« on: December 27, 2015, 04:23:17 »
If I wish to post an image that is hosted on Flickr, which URL should I use in the insert image button? Do I use one of the ones from view all sizes? If so, will the forum software resize the large image or should I use a smaller one? I typically used the BBC [img] code on other forums, but since getting this iPad, I can't seem to figure out how to copy the link from the pop up window. iHate Apple products, but the office supplied it so I can more easily support them on our network.
Greg Benic

Here is more of my shiznit: Model Mayhem | Flickr | GreBenOgraphy

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: Hosted on Flickr question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 05:06:48 »
I don't know, but let me try some tests.
Test Flickr link. Chose BBCode tiny square 75.

DFX_7905pn copypn02 by Andrea B., on Flickr

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 05:08:09 »
Test Flickr link.

1. BBCode Medium 800.

2. BBCode Large 1024.

3. BBCode Large 1600.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:20:47 »
OK, on my laptop, just for my own review, I click the Flickr arrow under the photo I want to link here, highlight BBCode and then select Large 1024 x 708 from the dropdown.
Copy/paste the blue link
into the posting box here and you are done.

It would appear that 1024 is the good size to choose to avoid resizing by our forum software.
Although do note that your browser must be expanded enough to permit 1024 pixels wide.

Now, I will go figure this out on my iPad and be back with some help for that.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:29:55 »
Test on iPad Pro.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 05:43:11 »
OK, on my iPad, I goto Flickr, find the foto I want to post here and tap the arrow under it.
Then tap BBCode and tap Large 1024 x 708 on the dropdown menu.

Then long-touch the url string and release to see the Copy/Define/Share blue pins appear on the url string.
Adjust the blue Copy pins: pull the left pin to the left end of the url string and the right pin to the right end of the url string.
Now tap Copy to place the url string onto the clipboard. Tap X to close the share window.

Goto Nikongear, long-touch the post box and release to see the Paste command appear.
Tap Paste
and there's your Flickr url string.

Hope this helps.  ;) If I did not explain it well, let me know and I will try again.

After you have performed tasks a few times on the iPad, it all becomes really easy and you will stop "hating" it. It is just technology. Doesn't matter who makes it. We are all capable of learning multiple tech systems (and cameras !!!) and becoming adept with each.  ;D Like, you don't expect your toaster oven to work like your microwave oven even though they both can heat up your dinner, yet you are adept with each appliance.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 05:57:54 »
I have to say that just now really enjoyed seeing my few Flickr photos in the expanded Flickr slideshow on my iPad Pro. I got that iPad with plans to load it up with some of my work for easy presentation. Of course I haven't even loaded one photo onto the iPad in the 4 months since I've had it! Oh well. Maybe someday.

greben

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My Facebook Photo Page
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 15:33:51 »
Thank you for all the tests and instructions, Andrea. I appreciate it. I will try to drag the right copy pin to the end again. That is the problem I have though. It doesn't scroll to the end and I get a truncated URL. Practice makes perfect though. :)
Greg Benic

greben

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My Facebook Photo Page
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 15:45:44 »
I just can't get the entire URL. I have tried multiple times this morning and this is all that gets copied:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/BP1HQJ][img]https://farm6.staticflickr.
I can drag on every other site I tried except Flickr. I am using an iPad2 with iOS 9.2. I am going to the desktop site on Flickr in Safari. I also tried Firefox, Chrome, and Dolphin with the same results.
Greg Benic

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 17:12:55 »
Greg, I'm happy you asked the original question because I should know how this forum software and other websites (like Flickr) work on tablets.

BTW, I do agree that iPad copy pins are klunky and inefficient to use. I don't know how other tablets solve this problem, because currently we have only iPads here. But I have friends who have other types of tablets and will experiment on those - just so that I know.

The elegant software solution for a Flickr URL copy/paste would be a copy button beside the URL, yes? Maybe we should tell Flickr. <smile>

Anyway, I will test the Flickr URL copy on my husband's smaller iPad to see what happens with the copy pins.
And --- I originally tested using Atomic Browser on my iPad, so I will re-test on both iPads using Safari and then Chrome.
Then maybe I can pin down the problem.

(Added later:  ....well that 'pin down' pun was not intended....but it works!!  ;D )

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 17:20:33 »
An addition to the preceding comment.

Here is what an entire Flickr URL string should look like after copy/paste. To show that here, first I write the BBC "code" tags, then paste the copied URL string between them. The forum software will then interpret the URL as a just a string.
Greg, I edited your post to put the URL within code tags.
These Flickr strings are looooooong.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C7gjxh][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1578/23699731670_b766e39189_b.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/C7gjxh]DFX_7905pn copypn02[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/uvirbloom/]Andrea B.[/url], on Flickr

greben

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My Facebook Photo Page
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 17:37:43 »
I am testing using view all sizes, copying the URL, pasting the URL, and manually adding the img tags.

Edit: that doesn't work
Greg Benic

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 17:46:18 »
OK, when using the iPad2, I get the same problem that Greg originally reported. The Copy action is NOT picking up the total URL. I just get this partial. I am on iPad2 using Safari.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/8tEyFG][img]https://farm5.static

greben

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My Facebook Photo Page
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 17:57:10 »
This is a test from Flickr mobile. I long pressed the image and selected copy. I pasted the URL here and added the img tags.

Greg Benic

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 18:41:32 »
Now THAT is interesting - the photo I mean. Very cool.  ;D

So, a direct paste of the image works? That's a good workaround. We need to check back and be sure it "holds".
I'll try one also.