Author Topic: Hello from USA  (Read 2840 times)

Kitanikkor

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hello from USA
« on: December 22, 2015, 07:13:38 »
I'm an old time shooter who got his 1st Nikon nearly 50 years ago....it was a Nikkormat FS, the entry level body with no meter, and the 50/F2 lens that taught me how to see and feel light. 
That humble start got me published a couple of months later and gave me confidence enough get a Nikon, also without a meter, but also with the "B" focusing screen that had no center-spot focusing aid ....THAT taught me how to see four corners of the frame almost simultaneously, and to focus wherever I wanted to, to draw the viewer's eye into the frame....

Those bodies and a few more lenses (35, 105 and 200) informed a very basic view of technology, technique and of the world.  While the home chest of gear has expanded, this traveler's bindle remains minimal, like my view of the world and photography...basic and uncomplicated....a couple of zooms (now superior to some of those primes of 50 years ago) and a couple of primes determined by the needs of "the shoot" are all I carry over my shoulder allowing me to engage with the world I see beyond the glass....

...I'm pleased to be here to share that view and to see yours....

Hoping it isn't inappropriate (this being my 1st post), I'd like to share a moment in a school in India, where I take time to get together with those on the other side of the glass. 

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
Re: Hello from USA
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 07:32:02 »
Welcome to NG! Would love to see your photos shot in India and everywhere else. :)
Anirban Halder

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:36:11 »
Welcome here. How should we call you?
Bruno Schröder

Kitanikkor

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:06:12 »
You can call me Jt, which is one variation of "Kita" in Japanese....where I lived for3 years (nearly 2 in Sendai, in and around towns that may no longer exist)...
...and I did just post some India pix in the travelog forum...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:17:01 »
Hi, Jt, welcome aboard!

I'm pretty sure that "Jt" is the pictorial translation of this Chinese letter which means "north" and reads "Kita":

Folks, you see the letter looks like "Jt"!  :D

Am looking forward to seeing your images!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Kitanikkor

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 16:15:15 »
Hi, Jt, welcome aboard!

I'm pretty sure that "Jt" is the pictorial translation of this Chinese letter which means "north" and reads "Kita":

Folks, you see the letter looks like "Jt"!  :D

Am looking forward to seeing your images!

That's right...I kept seeing on highway signs and it looked so much like Jt, my English name's initials when written "capital J small t" that I took that name....
But I soon learned that the word KITA also has other meanings in Japanese (though written very differently) so I added THOSE to my name as well....I had "a lot of fun" with that.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 16:24:38 »
That's right...I kept seeing on highway signs and it looked so much like Jt, my English name's initials when written "capital J small t" that I took that name....
But I soon learned that the word KITA also has other meanings in Japanese (though written very differently) so I added THOSE to my name as well....I had "a lot of fun" with that.

Jt, thanks for the detailed explanation of your ID.  Very interesting.

And, yes, "Kita" also means "a lot of fun (or happiness)".  In this case it is written as 喜多.  The first letter means "fun (or happiness)" and the second, "lots of".  For what is worth, 喜多 is also the name of one of the major four schools of Noh theater.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 16:36:06 »
Jt, nice to meet you, interesting introduction !
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 21:47:10 »
Welcome Jt, nice introduction!
-/-/-

Kitanikkor

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:30:04 »
Jt, thanks for the detailed explanation of your ID.  Very interesting.

And, yes, "Kita" also means "a lot of fun (or happiness)".  In this case it is written as 喜多.  The first letter means "fun (or happiness)" and the second, "lots of".  For what is worth, 喜多 is also the name of one of the major four schools of Noh theater.

...and so Akira, you have uncovered my Japanese name...Kita no Kita....yorosh'ku...

So many ironies complete the circle of my name you might enjoy knowing....
It was my ESOL students there, who at my insistence, 1st told me that while strange in Japan, I could respond to "thank you" as I might in America with "yorokunde des'..."a pleasure" or "much joy" is much more my style and preference than "no problem" or "it's nothing"....
...it was only later I learned that "yorokonde" was written and could be said, as you know, "Kita"......giving birth to the full name that Japan gave to me.
At that time in Japan, JT was also the initials for Japan Tobacco, whose logo phrase on all adverts was "Joyful Time"...
...and finally Kita is the name of the fine comic character I read of on my way to Japan the very first time, who along with his partner in crime, Yaji, introduced me to the funnier side of Japan...the 200 year old tales of Hizakurige, in which Yajirobei and Kitahachi are the original Dumb and Dumber of their time!

....and one more bit....My real name "Tiger" fit me well as it was also the name of a famous movie character I reminded people of, "Tiger-san"....

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 03:02:39 »
Hi, Jt, Kochira-koso, yoroshiku.

Interestingly "Kita" of "Kita-hachi" is written in both 喜多 and 北, according to the occasion.  So, your ID is very appropriate for your background.  :)

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 04:06:24 »
Hello and welcome to the forums JT : )

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 19:56:07 »
Welcome JT.
Jørgen Ramskov

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 09:19:23 »
Welcome! The way your nickname was dissected tells a lot about this site; There is a huge amount of knowledge collected here on NikonGear and not only on Nikon...
Erik Lund