Author Topic: Something Long for Travel?  (Read 14796 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Something Long for Travel?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 00:47:25 »
So ignoring the body, can you expand on what the target or constraints of your shooting are.

Obviously something like the 200-500 sounds attractive.
Does it have to be a zoom, or would the 300mm PF work (lighter, maybe higher quality etc)?

Are you after maximum flexibility (so prepared to accept some compromises) or would you be prepared to lose a few chances in exchange for using a more restricted set of kit that gave you fewer but higher quality images?
Everything from landscapes, whales or bears from a little dingy to animal portraits in the zoo :)

I had the 200/2VR with the 1.7TC, a versatile and fast setup but not as versatile as a tele zoom. The 70-200 on DX was too short, the Sigma 120-300/2.8 worked better but the 200-400/4VR had a very usable range for my type of use combined with a D700 for low light (@ ISO4000 max) and a D300 for the range (@ ISO1600 max).

With smaller primes I rarely miss a moment, usually a step back or forth makes it work. With longer lenses you don't have that luxury, being able to quickly zoom out and shoot close by action is worth the loss in aperture speed IMHO.

Two simple examples where the 200-400 was set at 200mm to capture two images I would have hated to miss as they mark two memorable events (the reason why I started doing photography).

This male wanted to impress Chris Dees and me by getting within the 6 meter mark of my focus limiter

D700 & 200-400/4VR, Holland 2009

This young elefant chased us around the block, I havent seen any images of the other participants in car with half a dozen photographers

D300 & 200-400/4VR, South Africa 2009
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 00:50:00 »
The always rumored D400 + 200-500mm :P
That would be sweet indeed, a true follow up of my old 8fps D300 speedmonster ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 05:52:59 »
Another vote for the 300mm f4 on D7200 or D750.

Yes, I know it is less versatile, but I feel the AF speed, light weight and close focus make up for that?

I carried the older AF-S version on a walking trail in the iMfolozi nature reserve (Natal, South Africa), and was the only guy to get a photo of the charging lioness. All the mirrorless cameras were still switching on when the charge was over.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 17:50:51 »
and was the only guy to get a photo of the charging lioness. All the mirrorless cameras were still switching on when the charge was over.
A lot has to with mindset and skills, some people freeze up, some enjoy the moment and might regret not having an image to tell the story to others and some instinctually take images but might miss some of the excitement of the action.

With my deer shot I had no idea he was so close because I was busy with capturing the action, composition, exposure while slowly zooming out. Only until the focus limiter prevented the 200-400 from focussing closer than 6 meters I raised my head to see what was going on and relealized he was pretty big up close when sitting on my knees ;D

That said the Nikon DLSR camera are faster to start up than my Sony but by timing it properly its usually operational by the time the camera reaches my eye.

And yes the 300/4 looks like an interesting lens, very impressed with the new PF model which shortly played with in Slovenia.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 17:58:38 »
How long of a reach do you need/desire? If you can get by with 300mm, I suggest you look at the Fuji 55-200.
Something 400mm would be nice, that said the Fuji route looks very interesting as its a nice excuse to get me one of those cool Fuji cameras  ;D

Thank you for letting me look at yet another option :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 18:08:56 »
For sure skill and knowledge make a difference. But one of the other photographers who didn't get a photo is a professional guide specializing in photo-safaris in Africa, and is much more experienced and skilful than I am.

The charge came pretty much out of the blue, with no warning. It was at short range, and the whole incident lasted less than 2 seconds.
Like you, I only realized the danger later.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 21:02:37 »
Jan: consider renting the Olympus combo I talked about. I know some real life professional from Suisse
who sold his Nikon Gear for Oly EM1 the set of Pro lenses from 7 to 150mm and some of the primes.

He claims he compared large prints in his real life photo club and noone could tell a D800 with best Nikon glass
from his.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 21:45:08 »
And I also know professionals whom know bupkis about the gear they use so prefer first hand experiences from the NG community :)

I do like small sensor cameras however for tele work as they provide a better coverage of the autofocus points and the added field of view range, the penalty is high ISO performance however and I usually shoot when the light levels are more pleasant to the eye.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 23:09:06 »
I like high iso too. I love my D600 and hope for the next generation.

Just in the tele I really see the advantage of 43ds.

Do we have Olympus shooters here? Yet.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 01:03:37 »

Just in the tele I really saw the advantage of 43ds.

Do we have Olympus shooters here? Yet.

As I posted in another thread, I moved completely to Olympus.  E-M5 Mk II made me decide.  I use Nikkor-Q C 200/4.0 with it and IBIS and high magnification function for precise MF work marvelously.  Because of the inferior high-ISO performance, however, the combo is not suitable for shooting actions, which is why I have refrained from posting here.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 02:04:51 »
I moved from FF to MFT. I was quite happy with Oly's, the EM5 and EM1. I evolved from MFT to APS-C and the Fuji's. For me the Fuji is a a great compromise between the IQ of FF and the small package of MFT. 
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 02:33:08 »

FUJIFILM X-T1
ISO: 3200
Focal Length: 200mm (300mm in 35mm)
Aperture: f/4.8
Exposure Time: 1/320

FUJIFILM X-T1
ISO: 1250
Focal Length   200mm (300mm in 35mm)
Exposure Time: 1/3000

FUJIFILM X-T1
ISO: 1000
Exposure Time: 1/1000

FUJIFILM X-T1
ISO: 3200
Aperture: f/9
Exposure Time: 1/250
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 04:41:09 »
When using D3 batteries in the D700 and D300 they could do 8fps with a buffer of 16/17 12bits RAW files, very impressive figures back in 2008 which only a few cameras can match 7 whopping years later in 2015. The focus nowadays is mostly on slow high resolution cameras instead high speed cameras.

The XT1 seems to be one of them though as it can shoot RAW images at 8fps and a very respectable 23 frame buffer
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t1/9

According to Fujirumors.com a 100-400/4.5-5.6 lens will be announced in early 2016 making things a whole lot more interesting for me :)
http://www.fujirumors.com/xf100-400-to-be-announced-on-january-15-for-about-e1800-anonmyous-source/
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 05:21:36 »
When using D3 batteries in the D700 and D300 they could do 8fps with a buffer of 16/17 12bits RAW files, very impressive figures back in 2008 which only a few cameras can match 7 whopping years later in 2015. The focus nowadays is mostly on slow high resolution cameras instead high speed cameras.

The XT1 seems to be one of them though as it can shoot RAW images at 8fps and a very respectable 23 frame buffer
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t1/9

According to Fujirumors.com a 100-400/4.5-5.6 lens will be announced in early 2016 making things a whole lot more interesting for me :)
http://www.fujirumors.com/xf100-400-to-be-announced-on-january-15-for-about-e1800-anonmyous-source/

That is one of the shortfalls for a newer system/mount, like Fuji, is that it takes a while to fill out the lens line-up. Fuji's FX lens are very good. If you were here I'd toss an XT1 and a bag full of lenses into the trunk of your car so you could play.

FUJIFILM X-Pro1
ISO: 1600
Exposure Time: 1/250

stenrasmussen

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2015, 06:23:48 »
The problem with mirrorless for action photography is viewfinder blackout during high speed frame bursts.