Author Topic: # ...one day in FRANKFURT  (Read 18278 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: # ...one day in FRANKFURT
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 07:44:52 »
I like your shadows, well done BEZ. (And your choice in equipment.  ;) )
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
Re: one day in FRANKFURT #LoveCity
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2015, 11:26:39 »
It is a great feeling to be back in a circumstance where people are civil, knowledgeable and forthright about their opinions and there is no hint of underlying attitude.
I have missed this very much and, although my work is clearly in the lowest quartile of those posting here, I am so happy to be here.

Encouraged by Lew's preamble,  I would say that the "Do not touch" sign is a nice catch, but here it is relegated to the margins of the image and that is probably the reason why Lew initially did not put it into the context on the scene.  In my view the picture needs to be cropped on the left and below - something like that. ( I am not sure if the unsolicited editing is not frowned upon on this forum, but I am not a politically correct member)

Alexander

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2015, 12:05:18 »
I like your shadows, well done BEZ. (And your choice in equipment.  ;) )

Thank you Gary  ....the Fuji's are often infuriating, but also a pleasure :-)
Bez

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2015, 12:30:05 »
It is a great feeling to be back in a circumstance where people are civil, knowledgeable and forthright about their opinions and there is no hint of underlying attitude.
I have missed this very much and, although my work is clearly in the lowest quartile of those posting here, I am so happy to be here.

Encouraged by Lew's preamble,  I would say that the "Do not touch" sign is a nice catch, but here it is relegated to the margins of the image and that is probably the reason why Lew initially did not put it into the context on the scene.  In my view the picture needs to be cropped on the left and below - something like that. ( I am not sure if the unsolicited editing is not frowned upon on this forum, but I am not a politically correct member)

Hello Sash,
Political incorrectness is my preference :-)    .....your crop is interesting I see the intent, thank you for taking the time to show (educate). I rarely crop it kind of feels like cheating, silly I know.

Cheers
Bez
Bez

Sash

• NG Member
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 15:22:58 »
Just looked through the whole thread. It is fascinating to look at the other street shooter's shots.  So many scenes that I have shot (or did not shoot).. dialogues.. bikers with shadows.. I have my own versions of all that...  Street is actually very repetitive.  But I shoot almost exclusively in color.
Alexander

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 17:15:04 »

Hello Sash,
Political incorrectness is my preference :-)    .....your crop is interesting I see the intent, thank you for taking the time to show (educate). I rarely crop it kind of feels like cheating, silly I know.

Cheers
Bez

BEZ- Not or rarely crop is quite impressive. I am trying to attain that level of seeing and shooting. I keep coming back to the bike series. I really like the idea of the bikes ... but they were not as strong, at least to me, as you other images. I was thinking that in the strong, elongated shadows of the late afternoon light ... that maybe a series of bike shadows would be very interesting.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Sash

• NG Member
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 17:18:28 »
Agree about cropping Gary. I crop mercilessly. Some strong images there.  And "Love area" is just hilarious.
Alexander

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 17:21:24 »
Agree about cropping Gary. I crop mercilessly. Some strong images there.  And "Love area" is just hilarious.

... and that 'Love Area' is mobile makes me smile and gives me hope.

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 20:57:07 »
Just looked through the whole thread. It is fascinating to look at the other street shooter's shots.  So many scenes that I have shot (or did not shoot).. dialogues.. bikers with shadows.. I have my own versions of all that...  Street is actually very repetitive.  But I shoot almost exclusively in color.

I like to do the same, and yes it is "repetitive" ....but every once in a while (only a couple of times a year for me) everything falls into place, never to be repeated.
Bez

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 21:20:28 »

I like to do the same, and yes it is "repetitive" ....but every once in a while (only a couple of times a year for me) everything falls into place, never to be repeated.

... Yeah ... Right ...  ::)

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 21:26:01 »

Hello Sash,

Cheers
Bez

BEZ- Not or rarely crop is quite impressive. I am trying to attain that level of seeing and shooting. I keep coming back to the bike series. I really like the idea of the bikes ... but they were not as strong, at least to me, as you other images. I was thinking that in the strong, elongated shadows of the late afternoon light ... that maybe a series of bike shadows would be very interesting.

I do straighten and change the format size (or camera) to suit output, I don't generally like 135 in portrait orientation. Your PJ background would make you used to heavy cropping.
I agree about the bicycles, I grabbed them when I was changing locations. There are not many cyclists in my home city so they caught my eye.

Bez

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 21:35:58 »

Hello Sash,

Cheers
Bez

I do straighten and change the format size (or camera) to suit output, I don't generally like 135 in portrait orientation. Your PJ background would make you used to heavy cropping.
I agree about the bicycles, I grabbed them when I was changing locations. There are not many cyclists in my home city so they caught my eye.

Ahhhh, but the rub is I didn't crop at all. I gave the editors full frame prints with HCB borders and let them crop to suit. If the photo needed cropping for any reasons, (tilted horizons, subject too small, et cetera), I'd toss the photo.

Something like this. (I am trying to get back to my no-crop skill level.)

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 21:58:26 »
Cool shot Gary and the HCB border gives it added authenticity. I have always been impressed, and liked borders included in prints.

I expect you normally left a little room in the framing for the editor. I remember having to think of a magazine cover shot, leaving space for the title.
Bez

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2015, 23:38:31 »
Cool shot Gary and the HCB border gives it added authenticity. I have always been impressed, and liked borders included in prints.

I expect you normally left a little room in the framing for the editor. I remember having to think of a magazine cover shot, leaving space for the title.

Only when asked. 99% of the time I filled the frame.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Member
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 23:44:58 »

Only when asked. 99% of the time I filled the frame.

Ah,I filed also the negative tray on the enlarger to get the HCB "truthness" ! Been doing that for so long that even when shooting digital I tend to add a fine black border to my pictures... It allows me to see if someone crops my pictures (mostly my main client, my school of Architecture) :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.