Author Topic: [Theme] Trains and boats (no planes)  (Read 196686 times)

Almass

Re: Trains and boats (no planes)
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2016, 15:37:14 »
......................The statement that one can always "fix something later in Photoshop" tells me the person asserting such viewpoints never will become a good photographer.

Oooh. Your blanket statement just put out of the job all the Fashion and Beauty photographers as well as Portraits photographers from Steve McCurry to Testino - Demarchelier - Meisel - Sorrenti - Richardson - LaChapelle - Walker........Mert&Marcus..............and all others as well!!!!!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2016, 15:47:52 »
You cannot interpret my statement to imply this. The point I tried to make is that a good photographer needs to be conscious enough of what he or she is going to achieve in the end, and not be sloppy and try to "fix" the deficiencies later in Photoshop. That glamour photography is a make-believe kind of business where the appearance of the models is retouched and polished in post processing does not change the fact the photographer should do the job properly.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2016, 16:22:33 »
It is the expressed visualisation of the photographer's intention that counts, so feel free to "graft" anything you please. That being said, the best strategy still is trying to get as much as possible right in the camera - surely saves one a lot of time later in the work flow. The statement that one can always "fix something later in Photoshop" tells me the person asserting such viewpoints never will become a good photographer.

Actually the answer and the balance is in the same post. Anything is fair game if it serves the image -or so I understand and agree- but it is no excuse for bad technique. I had to work with such a photographer in an event -he was under my direction and supervision- He didn´t even try to get a good exposure from the flash because he could do it later in PS... or so he thought

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2016, 16:35:26 »
Nikon D200 (720 IR converted) Nikkor 18-105mm VR @ 105mm

A different view, and time of day.

Nikon D300s 18-105mm VR 18mm, 30Sec @ f9, ISO 800

Beautiful photos Robert. D200 continues its legacy.  ;)
Anirban Halder

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2016, 16:45:01 »
I endured a verbal onslaught from a purveyor of Nikon photographic gear recently, he was showing me a PC lens, explaining how it could correct architectural exaggerated perspectives and similar tricks.  I politely declined, pointing out that for the most part that can now be achieved in post processing and it wasn't generally a problem I had, certainly not one I could justify the expenditure need to purchase a PC lens to deal with anyway.

He went on and on calling the people who rely on Photoshop for suchlike remedies cheats, fraudsters and worse, he was quite abusive.  The result of which is I shan't darken his door again. No matter how enticing his wares.   >:(
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2016, 16:53:22 »
Well, as usual, the truth might be found at some intermediate position. While it is certainly true that you can correct geometry such as falling lines later in Photoshop, and see little loss of quality if you start with extra resolution and the degree of adjustment is moderate, it also is true a dedicated PC lens can do the job quicker and even better, but of course at an additional cost. Creating "deep" sharpness zone by application of the Scheimpflug principle is easy with a tilt/shift lens and dare I say, awkward at best in Photoshop. On the other hand, mimicking reduced depth of field to create a "toy impression" is easy with a tilt/shift lens and even easier in Photoshop.

Thus one has to find the appropriate balance in each situation.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2016, 17:00:52 »
Thank you Anirban, I have mainly used the D200 since 2006, for most needs it serves me well, the resolution isn't an issue, I have some quite large prints (1,000mm across the diagonal) which are well sharp enough and remain admired by everyone.

I have found with the converted bodies they seem much sharper since the anti-aliasing filter is removed. With the humble 18-105 VR lens @105mm, I can make out the cows legs about 6 Km distant at 100% in that IR image of the boat.

Moving on to the D300s has opened up new possibilities for low light photography, I keenly await a D3 later this year which I expect even more possibilities.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2016, 17:17:39 »
Thus one has to find the appropriate balance in each situation.

With my limited budget and with scanty expertise with T/S, also keeping to a minimum the gear to carry, I opt to sort details like that out at home!  I feel saving for a nice D3 is more worthwhile than for a TS lens!  I acknowledge the lens route is the optimal method technically but the software route gets the job done on the rare occasions it's needed.

I certainly didn't need the rude, abusive lecture I got from the camera seller.  Particularly as a customer.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2016, 17:30:49 »
As a customer, one sometimes can get really put off by the response of a salesperson. I hardly ever been treated more condescendingly than at the renowned Grays of Westminister Nikon shop. Thus a place I'm quite unlikely to visit again.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2016, 17:31:21 »
Thank you Anirban, I have mainly used the D200 since 2006, for most needs it serves me well, the resolution isn't an issue, I have some quite large prints (1,000mm across the diagonal) which are well sharp enough and remain admired by everyone.
As a fellow D200 user I completely agree with you. And, I often thought about converting it to IR, which isn't very easy in India except DIY.
Anirban Halder

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2016, 17:38:23 »
A converted D200 was my workhorse IR camera for years. Its IR response in fact was slightly better than my current IR camera, a modified D5300. I finally replaced the D200 because of no Liveview and the not so good ISO performance. In image quality terms I had no complaints given its 10 Pix sensor.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2016, 20:00:02 »
Thomas, "mind the gap" photo is beautiful!!

Thanks, Anirban!
-/-/-

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2016, 23:18:53 »
An assortment of trains:

The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, Ratty to it's friends!

River Irt, taken '06 with Nikon D1, 25mm ? Lens 1/125 sec @ f11, ISO 200

Dorset Steam Fair, '07 taken with D200, 50mm f1.4 1/400 sec @ f7.1, ISO 200

River Esk, taken '08 with D200, 50mm f1.4 1/2500 sec @ f4.5, ISO 800?

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2016, 04:20:26 »
Robert, that's a remarkable collection of steam engine photos. Beautiful captures, I like all of them.
Anirban Halder

Mike G

« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2016, 09:32:33 »
Robert is the River Esk from the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway?