Author Topic: The Bridge  (Read 2879 times)

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
The Bridge
« on: November 05, 2015, 21:53:07 »
Well,
I'll give it a try.

The title is 'by the bridge'.

Shot on a sunday afternoon walk last weekend it has been nagging me since with a few questions.
Does it reach you?
Color or B&W? (prejustice taken by posting just one variant for a start)
Suitable development?

Whatever your thoughts are - I'd be happy to read them!  :)
-/-/-

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: The Bridge
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 22:34:52 »
I regard this as a nice addition and illustration of detail to a story about a bridge (or other man-made structures). On its own, at least for me it fails to hold the interest over a longer time.

Technically done and presented in an excellent fashion and the limited area of sharpness is set off from the remainder in an efficient manner.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 00:18:46 »
if colour adds mood, or gives a corresponding area the the dominating structure, then colour please
you like something here and made a technically perfect picture,but I cannot see, what you liked

Thomas Stellwag

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 22:38:54 »
Thank you both!

The story behind is that I was attracted by the technical structure made from stainless steel contrasting the fall colors and the late afternoon light.
I clearly, and in this concern successfully, focused on the steel elemenent. I only took this shot,- it looked good on the cam screen.
Unfortunately the final result leaves me (and obviously you as well) with an ungratified feeling and I want to understand why.

Thomas is right considering that sufficient balancing elements are missing in the picture left area as well as a 'soul' or a center of pictural gravity.
This corresponds to Bjørn's statement that the pic catches the eye but fails to hold the interest beyond the initial moments.
The 'nothing' seems to be irritating.

I attached a newly developed color version.

-/-/-

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 22:49:00 »
IMHO both have merit. The B&W is a study in structure, both the bridge as a structure as well as the metal itself.

The colour version gives more environmental information, it could well pass for an autumn colour image  ;D

I, too, would like to see more images to give me interest to stay and watch, a series if you will.
Hans Cremers

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 23:48:24 »
Thanks!

Unfortunately I went with this shot only. The series flaw can't be healed. I will keep it in mind to bring back more prey next time.

Quote from: HCS
The colour version gives more environmental information, it could well pass for an autumn colour image  ;D
Am I reading it right to consider a more color-expressive version?
My usual liking leaves some headroom there but I might try it.

-/-/-

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 06:56:49 »
I am a sucker for Black and White - so my choice is obvious :)
nice capture
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:40:07 »
Very encouraging.
Looking around the forum I found that some of you are not really shy dialing the controls  :o
I made this quality fast food version to be consumed hot and quick and saved the settings under velvet fall lava.

-/-/-

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 11:52:39 »
Very encouraging.
Looking around the forum I found that some of you are not really shy dialing the controls  :o ...

Yeah, dial-o-rama sometimes. Just ask Jan Anne how good it feels to sometimes max out the sliders. Not that it always looks good, but the feel ... aaahhhhhh ...

Your version is indeed an autumn carnival, posterization creeps in in some areas, but what the hey  8)
Hans Cremers

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 12:13:12 »
Posterization... yah.
If you refer to the greyish-bluish zone in the left back - that's there the b&w development hit's the limits as well.
I really took some rethinking and twisting to bring it to this color fluidity level without breaking it.
Thank's for pointing it out.

After a little reconsidering about the limits I published an adjusted final color version on flickr.

A new b&w version is a harder nut though. I'd like to produce one but I may not even get there in considerable time.

-/-/-

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 14:14:46 »
That was fun :-D
-/-/-