Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your smartphone images  (Read 56937 times)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: [Theme] Show us your smartphone images
« Reply #240 on: October 30, 2022, 17:44:45 »
I’m using an iPhone, now an 13 Pro Max. Pictures are flowing directly into Adobe Lightroom Mobile, and are treated directly from the iPhone, or/and later into the Lr desktop application.

[/url]
Reflets
Need for a windshield wipe ?

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #241 on: October 30, 2022, 17:50:10 »
Nice blur ;)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #242 on: October 30, 2022, 19:14:38 »
Nice action, colors and reflections game!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #243 on: October 30, 2022, 20:15:39 »
Thx Bent & Paco  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #244 on: October 30, 2022, 23:12:57 »
The quality of smart phone images have come a long way over recent years.  I have personally only used my iPhone for very basic documentation, e.g. for work purposes or for assisting trades people when seeking quotations for work on my home

Do people on this site just use their smartphone cameras with the native software that comes with the phone or do they use other software that gives them more traditional control over camera functions? 

This question is prompted by a family member who has sent me a number of images from her trip to sunny Spain.  In looking at the EXIF data, the camera/phone has elected to perform nearly all of its exposures at f/1.8 - the maximum aperture at quite ISO settings, and I am thinking that stopping down a little would yield better definition in the images.  I am aware that there are camera control apps (and in camera processing) softwares out there.

What do people on this thread do - do they use the native camera apps on the phone or do they install camera control software that gives them a more camera like experience?

Likewise, do people use in-phone image processing software or do they export to computers for processing?

As always, many thanks in advance.

I used to try apps to process RAW data in iPhone, but now I feel that the default Photo app is good enough to edit the image shot with the integrated camera of my iPhone SE2.  The RAW data is surprisingly pliable in the app, and I can adjust the highlight, shadow and contrast satisfactorily enough for sharing on Facebook or Instagram.  I'm not satisfied with the low-light image quality, but the SE3 seems to be noticeably better in this regard.  So, I'm looking forward to my next iPhone (possibly SE4 with USB-C).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #245 on: October 30, 2022, 23:20:04 »
I often enjoy its panorama function, but I need to send the largest data to the computer (via email) for the further tweaks like cropping, adjustment of the saturation, correction of the perspective, etc.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2022, 11:36:46 »
Open door day at the car tunnel construction site, nearby my home. iPhone 13 Pro Max RAW & LrC 12.1 (most recent)

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

link restauration
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #247 on: November 08, 2022, 13:30:35 »
Into the total eclipse.  Shot with iPhone SE2 looking into an ocular of my binoculars.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #248 on: January 04, 2023, 19:21:05 »
Conil, sunset. Mostly empty this time of the year.
Huawei p30 lite. Screenshot to resize

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #249 on: January 05, 2023, 00:10:12 »
Sunrise on new years day, 2023, with iPhone SE II. It's almost scary how good these pictures turn out!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #250 on: January 05, 2023, 06:56:23 »
Sunrise on new years day, 2023, with iPhone SE II. It's almost scary how good these pictures turn out!

I agree. I learned from a local newspaper journalist, that their only assigned photographic equipment is now a smartphone.

Amateur food photography. Smartphones combined with serious post processing editing are doing an excellent job for pictures serving social media and the like.

IMG_2319.jpg
Swiss Chinese Fondue. iPhone 13 Max, processed with Lightroom Classic

You can see more here https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=10588.0
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2023, 20:05:31 »
Samsung S22
The image was cropped on the phone, then additional editing with color efex in the computer to bring out some more contrast/detail, using only the jpg file.
The mobile quality is quite good and will be my photo choice for everyday/casual shots, disadvantage is the lack of a more responsive shutter, there is always a lag and of course no aperture control.
I have yet to use the high res mode which is 50 megapixels, I've been using the 12 mp default resolution.
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2023, 20:11:16 »
It certainly is disconcerting how easy it is to get decent images from the phone, comparing it to all the work that it would take with a camera, using your image as example  a couple of questions to resolve would be:
where is the focus, are the highlights blown?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #253 on: January 06, 2023, 03:13:04 »
Armando, have you tried any of the camera  apps that are now available for iPhones and Android devices?  IIRC, I am pretty sure that some of these apps provide extended control sets including aperture control.

It certainly is disconcerting how easy it is to get decent images from the phone, comparing it to all the work that it would take with a camera, using your image as example  a couple of questions to resolve would be:
where is the focus, are the highlights blown?
Hugh Gunn

Paul.S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #254 on: March 20, 2023, 19:27:25 »
I have never been fond of cell phones beyond the use as a telephone. In particular, I almost never take it out for an image. However, I cannot deny the fact that when I do not have a camera with me while walking the dog and the light is good on the pond, this device without any thought does a much better job than I could do with a dedicated tool.

Iphone SE