Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images  (Read 181836 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images
« Reply #1065 on: April 02, 2024, 00:47:10 »
Thanks Akia and Nasos. Unfortunately light pollution is actually pretty bad here, Bortle 7-8, which is red zone on the light pollution maps. It has become worse after the introduction of city LED lights. If one can find a free view towards west-north-west after twilight it i worth a try, but window of time before the 12P/Pans-Brooks sets is getting narrower.

Sad to hear that, Øivind.  The problem of LED light is that the current light pollution eliminating filter can cut only the bright spectra of the mercury vapor and sodium lights.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1066 on: April 02, 2024, 05:06:39 »
Yes it seems when cities switch to more efficient LEDs they tend to crank up brightness, which diminishes energy savings - does not make sense in these times of green switch. We had a very nice dark fall when they were changing them, lots of lights turned off at construction phase, and then it became worse when the new ones became active. There are some popular narrowband filter alternatives out there, but they mess up color balance. I have never used any light pollution filters anyway as I prefer to preserve the natural colors.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1067 on: April 08, 2024, 23:47:04 »
So, has anyone shot the solar eclipse?

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #1068 on: April 09, 2024, 00:30:12 »
My house is not on the "Path of Totality" so we only enjoyed a partial eclipse (which we watched through sooted-up pieces of glass) and I didn't take photographs this time although I did during a previous Partial Solar Eclipse in 2017.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1069 on: April 09, 2024, 03:35:28 »
My house is not on the "Path of Totality" so we only enjoyed a partial eclipse (which we watched through sooted-up pieces of glass) and I didn't take photographs this time although I did during a previous Partial Solar Eclipse in 2017.

Ann, thank you for the response.  I saw the total solar eclipse in 2012 here in Tokyo.  Right before the total eclipse, it had been cloudy, and I had given up taking photograph of it.  And then the sky started to clear up and the clouds became thin enough to see the sun through them without any darkening filter!

So, I could see the total eclipse.  Then I noticed that I could also take the pictures without an appropriate filter and rushed into my room to get the camera with the longest lens I had at that time (Nikon D7000 and Ai Nikkor 200mm/f4.0).  But when I was ready to shoot, the total eclipse was over... :'(

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1070 on: April 09, 2024, 08:12:01 »
Thanks for the story Akira - nice shot.
I am also happy that Armando was able to observe totality, posted here: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=10924.msg198725#msg198725

Work travel allowed me to observe a partial eclipse from Los Angeles International Airport before bording a flight (it would not have been much visible if at all from Alaska). I had no big expectations, so just I handheld the 300PF+TC-14E +Baader Astrosolar OD 5 film on D500. This is about 10 min before the max phase, with the moon about to swallow up sunspot region AR3633 at the lower left while AR3628 remains safe in the middle.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1071 on: April 09, 2024, 10:26:36 »
Thanks for the story Akira - nice shot.
I am also happy that Armando was able to observe totality, posted here: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=10924.msg198725#msg198725

Work travel allowed me to observe a partial eclipse from Los Angeles International Airport before bording a flight (it would not have been much visible if at all from Alaska). I had no big expectations, so just I handheld the 300PF+TC-14E +Baader Astrosolar OD 5 film on D500. This is about 10 min before the max phase, with the moon about to swallow up sunspot region AR3633 at the lower left while AR3628 remains safe in the middle.

This is an amazingly detailed shot, Øivind!  In addition to the sunspots, am I seeing the bumps and dips of the surface of the moon?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1072 on: April 09, 2024, 14:17:23 »
Superb shot Øivind

I'll be traveling this morning,  will share more details about the experience later
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #1073 on: April 09, 2024, 18:05:20 »

Thanks Akira and Armando. The bumps might be both due to earthly atmospheric distortions and the mountains on the surface of the moon. I read that in cases where viewers are located at the edge of the zone of totality, they can get a blinking diamond phase due to the passing of the irregularities on the moon.

Looking forward to hear more about the experience Armando! (I am still traveling myself visiting some colleagues at Stanford on my way back from the meeting that brought me down here.)
Øivind Tøien

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1074 on: April 10, 2024, 03:21:40 »
Total Eclipse Apr 8 from Mazatlan  Mexico

On Sunday, April 7th, I traveled to Mazatlán along with 2 more photographer friends, my wife, and another couple of friends who wanted to witness the eclipse.

We stayed at a rental apartment on the outskirts of the city, far from the crowds.

On Monday, we were a bit anxious as the forecast mentioned a 40% cloud coverage.

During the partial eclipse, the sun was very visible, and during totality, the clouds gave a lot of movement in front of the sun.

As I mentioned before, I planned to shoot totality with the X-T3 as it has way better dynamic range in comparison to the little V1. But it was taking me some effort to get a clear picture. I panicked and switched back to the V1. Still, the cloud coverage would have made it difficult to get any additional detail, so it is a moot point.

Here is a composite of my captures. the center is when I removed the solar filter and shows how cloudy it was.
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1075 on: April 10, 2024, 05:45:35 »
Despite your struggle, the result should be very well worth cherishing!

I particularly appreciate the facet that you captured some prominence in addition to the corona.

I would definitely say congrats!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1076 on: April 10, 2024, 10:34:14 »

I particularly appreciate the facet that you captured some prominence in addition to the corona.

Me too!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #1077 on: April 10, 2024, 10:48:55 »
Well done Armando!

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #1078 on: April 10, 2024, 11:06:04 »
Great stuff, Armando. The protuberances are really nice.
Bruno Schröder

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1079 on: April 10, 2024, 11:52:14 »

Definitely yes :)