Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images  (Read 180762 times)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images
« Reply #960 on: November 11, 2022, 14:12:07 »
Inspired by the current event, I went back to do the final finishing of an image I have long planned from the 2019 lunar eclipse.

Thats a beautiful image Øivind
Thank you for sharing

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #961 on: November 11, 2022, 23:47:33 »

Thanks for the enthusiastic comments, Akira and Colin.
The Beehive cluster is located right in the center of the constellation Cancer (the shape of a crab). It was also in close proximity to the January 2017 lunar eclipse.  Here is  post with an image from that event where it can bee seen on the right side of the moon: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=1693.msg113950#msg113950
Øivind Tøien

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #962 on: November 12, 2022, 11:10:40 »
Very nice capture Oivid :) :)
Moon in eclipse is totally mysterious and with this star cluster is more and more!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #963 on: November 12, 2022, 13:05:44 »
Thanks for the enthusiastic comments, Akira and Colin.
The Beehive cluster is located right in the center of the constellation Cancer (the shape of a crab). It was also in close proximity to the January 2017 lunar eclipse.  Here is  post with an image from that event where it can bee seen on the right side of the moon: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=1693.msg113950#msg113950

Thank you for the further explanation.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #964 on: November 13, 2022, 03:46:02 »
Very nice capture Oivid :) :)
Moon in eclipse is totally mysterious and with this star cluster is more and more!

Thanks Nasos. I am really happy how this came out considering the troublesome conditions during eclipse capture. The inspiration to do these captures came from the January 2017 lunar eclipse.
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #965 on: December 03, 2022, 06:44:41 »
There was a conjunction between the moon and the very bright Jupiter last night, as a reminder that the US will see an extremely close conjunction or occultation of Mars by the Moon on December 7, about 7:45 PM Pacific standard time. Unfortunately the forecast here in interior Alaska does not look promising, but never give up hope...

Øivind Tøien

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #966 on: December 03, 2022, 15:06:43 »
Very nice Oivid, I notice this between moon and Jupiter but was too lazy to capture
I suppose the conjunction of  7th of December will not be visible for Europe?

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #967 on: December 03, 2022, 21:31:09 »

Thanks Nasos. The map in this link, https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/on-december-7-the-moon-will-photobomb-mars/ , could indicate that the Mars occultation it can be seen from part of Europe too, perhaps at twilight in the morning, but I always consult Stellarium to get specifics and timing for my location at such events. Alaska is so far north that Mars only will be grazing the moon, but close enough that it should still be quite spectacular if weather would cooperate.
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #968 on: December 08, 2022, 12:08:12 »

It was clouded over and snowing here during the Mars-Moon conjunction, I could hardly make out the position of the moon in the sky. However here is a mockup of the image I imagined capturing at the closest conjunction, based on an old full moon image and a stacked Mars image that I captured early November 29, just two days before Mars made its closest approach to earth, realistically positioned and scaled according to Stellarium. Apologize for the poor quality of the moon part, but I sort of like it in that it honestly shows that it is a simulated composite and emphasizes that Mars is so much further away.

I actually captured a series of stacks of Mars with the 300mm f.4 PF+TC-14E+TC-20E III @ f/14 on Nikon 1 AW1 and adapter at ISO 160, bursts of 60 fps over one hour, each stack about 1100 frames covering about 10min. Go to my moon stacking post earlier in this thread for details on how it was processed. Here is the resulting GIF animation:

The cloudy polar cap is clearly visible to the north, and in the south-west there is also a cloudy lighter area rotating into view. I am pretty pleased with resolving this much as the seeing was far from optimal and Mars is further away on its closest approach than it was two years ago.

This is perhaps easier to see in the single frames behind the animation:

I hope someone else here got a chance to capture the real conjunction/occlusion event, and not just a composite mockup.
Øivind Tøien

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #969 on: December 08, 2022, 15:00:20 »
 :)
For a moment I thought you made it!
I was very lazy to be prepared for this 5:00 am local time  ;D
Anyway thank for the info, the mock-up is very good!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #970 on: December 08, 2022, 21:12:19 »

Thanks Nasos, I fully understand the lazyness with respect to the 5am event  ;D . You can however go back in Stellarium and watch the simulation of what it would have looked like at your local spot at the time. At my location Mars kept close to the moon for a long time afterwards according to Stellarium and would have been a nice sight in itself if it had not been for the clouds.
Øivind Tøien

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #971 on: December 08, 2022, 22:04:56 »
I was ready but the sky was not. Too cloudy. It’s really bad timing : the sky is cristal clear today …
Bruno Schröder

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #972 on: December 09, 2022, 01:51:12 »

Here is a link to one the best Mars occultation posts that I spotted at the Cloudy Nights forum, almost giving the feeling of observing Mars rise on the horizon from a viewpoint on the moon.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/854099-mars-rises-above-the-lunar-limb/
Øivind Tøien

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #973 on: December 09, 2022, 15:25:31 »
Spectacular! Thank you Oivid finally i thing is worth to try.. next time :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #974 on: December 09, 2022, 15:40:28 »
Øivind, thank you for the link.  Indeed, it is a marvelous image!

Unfortunately, I think Japan was out of the area where the conjunction could be observed.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira