Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images  (Read 180728 times)

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images
« Reply #945 on: October 16, 2022, 09:29:26 »
Moon bumping against Tête de Girardin, French Queyras

NIKON 1 V1, FT1 + 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G AF-P DX VR IF-ED zoom-Nikkor @300mm

Ciao from Massimo
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #946 on: October 17, 2022, 19:52:13 »
Excellent Jupiter  results Oivid !
I would like to try it with 500pf plus TCs  but no star tracker >:(

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #947 on: October 17, 2022, 20:12:28 »
Excellent Jupiter  results Oivid !
I would like to try it with 500pf plus TCs  but no star tracker >:(

Thanks Nasos, the tracker is not needed as Jupiter is very bright, without it it just becomes a bit more challenging keeping aim at the target. While I used my tracker for these, I did not polar align it properly, but it helped on keeping it aimed. The main limitation to resolving these targets is usually seeing, i.e. the optical quality of air between the lens and the target.
Øivind Tøien

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #948 on: November 04, 2022, 09:28:51 »
Moonset and trees

While browsing my 2019 archives, this one came up

Nikon D500, 1.3x crop mode, 200-500mm f/5.6 ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor @500mm, straight OOC (only cropping)

Taken on 11 Aug 2019, just a few days after 50th anniversary of Moon Landing.

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #949 on: November 06, 2022, 03:28:42 »

Nice inclusion of a foreground.

The Copernicus crater to the left stands out very nicely.
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #950 on: November 06, 2022, 07:04:55 »
A little heads up that there will be a total lunar eclipse November 7/8  for those who live in eastern Asia and Western US and Canada.
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2022-november-8

Interestingly, at least where I live in Alaska, Uranus will be in close enough conjunction with the moon during the total phase that both can be captured in the same frame with 600mm on a DX sensor (later it will be occulted by the moon, but past totality). Of course Astrospheric thinks it will be cloudy here at that time, but one could always hope...
Øivind Tøien

Brute

• NG Member
  • Podunk USA
« Reply #951 on: November 08, 2022, 03:57:44 »
Bump  :)

A little heads up that there will be a total lunar eclipse November 7/8  for those who live in eastern Asia and Western US and Canada.

Interestingly, at least where I live in Alaska, Uranus will be in close enough conjunction with the moon during the total phase that both can be captured in the same frame with 600mm on a DX sensor (later it will be occulted by the moon, but past totality). Of course Astrospheric thinks it will be cloudy here at that time, but one could always hope...
Ken Smith

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #952 on: November 08, 2022, 05:23:25 »

Thanks for the heads-up.  According to the weather forecast, the sky will be clear in Tokyo tonight.  The moon will be around 30 degree high from the horizon when the total eclipse starts.  My trusty 45mm f2.8 lens should be able to cover the scene along with the silhouetted cityscapes.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #953 on: November 08, 2022, 05:56:21 »
Good to hear, unfortunately pretty cloudy here, diffuse light from the full moon just barely showing its position behind the cloud cover, but I will keep a watch out.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #954 on: November 08, 2022, 13:10:49 »
The sky was clear.  The nightscape was shot right after the beginning of the total eclipse.

Two closeups of the moon shot at 20:35 and 20:39 (Japan Standard Time) respectively.  In Japan, the Uranus eclipse started at 20:41.  These were also shot with the same 45mm f2.8 lens.  Although the image quality is far less than optimal, I think I could capture the Uranus about to hide behind the moon.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #955 on: November 08, 2022, 21:30:05 »
No chance to see the total eclipse in my area (N Italy), but yesterday evening the sky was clear and moisture-free, allowing for a decent capture of the rising Moon, with our big cedar tree casting a black shadow on the dark blue sky.

Nikon Zfc, FTZ + 200-500mm f/5.6E ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor @500mm, 100ISO, 1/80" f:6.3, 17:04 local time (GMT+1), slightly cropped

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #956 on: November 09, 2022, 09:05:37 »
The sky was clear.  The nightscape was shot right after the beginning of the total eclipse.

Two closeups of the moon shot at 20:35 and 20:39 (Japan Standard Time) respectively.  In Japan, the Uranus eclipse started at 20:41.  These were also shot with the same 45mm f2.8 lens.  Although the image quality is far less than optimal, I think I could capture the Uranus about to hide behind the moon.

Very nice catch, and also getting Uranus, Akira!

That is a nice clear moon, Massimo.

Unfortunately it was all clouds here, sometimes a ghostly view showed though but completely disappeared when it dimmed during totality. I was not even inspired to set up a tripod and depended on full VR mode. The last one was at 1/6s  and ISO 800 @ f/9, so not so bad at 600mm focal length handheld ;D.

Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #957 on: November 09, 2022, 12:06:52 »
Very nice catch, and also getting Uranus, Akira!

That is a nice clear moon, Massimo.

Unfortunately it was all clouds here, sometimes a ghostly view showed though but completely disappeared when it dimmed during totality. I was not even inspired to set up a tripod and depended on full VR mode. The last one was at 1/6s  and ISO 800 @ f/9, so not so bad at 600mm focal length handheld ;D.

Thank you, Øivind, for kind words!  Unfortunately I currently don't own any longer lenses but fortunately was efficiently aided by the high performance of today's digital camera and dedicated lens.  My excitement of capturing Uranus for the first time made up greatly for the result of sub-optimal image quality!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #958 on: November 11, 2022, 07:23:31 »

Inspired by the current event, I went back to do the final finishing of an image I have long planned from the 2019 lunar eclipse. Before that event I noticed that the Beehive Cluster was going to be close to the eclipsed moon. So I spent a couple of night beforehand to capture the stack for starry background of the Beehive Cluster, and additional ones toward the calculated position of the moon, all of these were then stitched. Then came the day of the eclipse, and it was quite cloudy. But I managed to set up and polar align my tracker to keep the framing on the nearly invisible eclipsed moon and used a few opportunities of lighter openings in the cloud cover to capture it. So I got the frame of the eclipsed moon (300mm @ f6/3, 30 sec at ISO 200), which I posted here: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=8325.msg135626#msg135626 However no stars was showing though the cloud cover to align with the already captured background image . So I sort of gave up the project at that time.

However Stellarium comes to the rescue, and allows precise simulation of the moon's position on the starry background at the precise time of the capture so that the eclipsed moon could be composited back to the correct background. The result is shown below. The original has a size of roughly 12000x4000 pixels; the posted image can be displayed 2500 pixel wide if opened in a new tab:

Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #959 on: November 11, 2022, 11:20:35 »
Interesting scientific collage, Øivind.  I've never heard of the Beehive Cluster.  Thank you for sharing educative info.