Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images  (Read 181819 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images
« Reply #750 on: May 26, 2021, 12:12:27 »
Just a reminder that the first penumbral phase of the May 26 Lunar eclipse starts in about an hour (08:47:39 UTC, might not be much noticeable), and max totality in about 3.5 hours (11:18:42 UTC) from time of writing . Totality lasts for only 14 minutes. It is also popularly called a Super Flower Blood Moon. It should be visible from most of western US and Japan and other places in that region of the east, check the map and time here: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2021-may-26

Weather does not look too bad here right now, but since we do not have dark now I do not know how much of the total phase will be visible. It will also be quite low on the horizon.

Yes, I'm standing by now.  The weather forecast in Tokyo tells it will be clear by the time the total eclipse is at its climax.  But, at this moment, it is lightly clouded, and the moon rise couldn't be observed.  I'll go out and try again an hour or so later.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #751 on: May 26, 2021, 14:34:08 »
...and we have been in the midst of a thunderstorm with a heavy downpour.  Flash flooding expected in the area.  No sky visible. :(
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #752 on: May 26, 2021, 15:31:23 »
Here in Tokyo, the clouds hindered the observation of the total eclipse.  :(

After the total, the clouds became a bit thinner.  And this is the best image I could capture.  Compared to the normal half moon, the border between the day and the night looks more blurred.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #753 on: May 26, 2021, 15:34:07 »
Nice job Akira, even like this you can see the eclipse :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #754 on: May 26, 2021, 15:40:17 »
Nice job Akira, even like this you can see the eclipse :)

Thank you, Nasos, for kind words.  I was helped by the ACR with the "Enhance" function.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #755 on: May 27, 2021, 11:26:21 »
Blood Moon from New Zealand. Panasonic Lumix GX-9 with Nikkor AI 400/5.6 ED (non-IF) and m4/3 to F adaptor (bought from Akira).
ISO 3200, f/5.6, 1 second exposure, slight crop and downsized. I wish the details were a bit better but ISO 3200 on m4/3 sensor is not too bad. Field of view is same as an 800mm lens on FX but the moon still appears small! This was just a little before the moon went into full shadow so the lower part is still in partial sunlight. I like how the background stars show :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #756 on: May 27, 2021, 12:22:10 »
Blood Moon from New Zealand. Panasonic Lumix GX-9 with Nikkor AI 400/5.6 ED (non-IF) and m4/3 to F adaptor (bought from Akira).
ISO 3200, f/5.6, 1 second exposure, slight crop and downsized. I wish the details were a bit better but ISO 3200 on m4/3 sensor is not too bad. Field of view is same as an 800mm lens on FX but the moon still appears small! This was just a little before the moon went into full shadow so the lower part is still in partial sunlight. I like how the background stars show :)

Oh, wow, that was exactly what I wanted to see!  Happy to know the adapter serves you well.  And, yes, the non-IF 400/5.6 ED of the simplistic optical design works nicely here.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #757 on: May 27, 2021, 13:37:02 »
Beautiful gradient moon colors and I agree, the stars background works very well for the image. So clean and perfect elements composition its borders on illustration fantasy. Love it

Thanks for sharing it!

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #758 on: May 27, 2021, 16:00:05 »
Very nice Roland great capture and the red color gives another dimension to this shot!

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #759 on: May 27, 2021, 17:04:25 »
Well done Roland and Akira!  Glad some were able to see part or all of it.  Here the evening started clear but clouds began to build as the eclipse was starting and within an hour entirely obscured the moon.  Though I couldn't see it I was thinking of NG folk around the Pacific who might be pointing cameras up at the sky.  Cheers,  John

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #760 on: May 29, 2021, 11:03:48 »

+1 to the above for both of you - the complement of the stars is really nice in Roland's image!

It stayed reasonably clear in Fairbanks except a bit hazy, however as suspected, lack of dark prevented the "blood moon" view as daylight came more and more back. The low position on the horizon provided a quite warm color with daylight WB though.

Just as I left my cabin two long-eared owls were hooting to each other very loudly close by and provided the right atmosphere when I got the first view of the moon behind the trees and discovered it was already well into the partial phase. I wish I had made a short video of the moon with that sound recorded, but I was short on time headed to campus with an unobstructed view. By the time I had set up there, more than half of the moon was in the earth shade.

Final stage before it disappeared into the shade:

Then my attention was distracted by the 3 giants of Alaska Range to the south, where the early muffled morning sun started to show up on the highest of them, Mount Hayes. So I intentionally lost the help of my tracker to follow and did not really spot the moon again until shortly before it set. Seeing that close to the horizon was really poor though.

(Stacked TCs at 840mm)

As I mentioned it, although it does not really belong here, first sunlight on 13,832' (4216m) Mount Hayes;

(Wish I had gone out early and possibly gotten moon rise above it, but contrast was very low before the warmer light came on.)
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #761 on: May 29, 2021, 11:10:29 »
Thank you, Øivind.

Although your main purpose of shooting the eclipse may not be perfectly satisfying, you do have succeeded photographically!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #762 on: May 29, 2021, 11:35:15 »

Thanks for the kind words, Akira.
Øivind Tøien

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #763 on: May 29, 2021, 23:27:56 »
Supermoon day

On May 26 there was no chance of observing the moon eclipse at our lat-long, but the moon was very red and large when it rose behind the trees.

Nikon 1V3, 200-500mm Nikkor, slightly cropped

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #764 on: May 29, 2021, 23:48:36 »
Supermoon day

On May 26 there was no chance of observing the moon eclipse at our lat-long, but the moon was very red and large when it rose behind the trees.

Nikon 1V3, 200-500mm Nikkor, slightly cropped

Ciao from Massimo

As always, your closeup of the moon is fascinating!