Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images  (Read 178099 times)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images
« Reply #720 on: April 25, 2021, 06:59:49 »
Thanks Akira, yes since my camera also was leveled by eye, now we can measure and calculate the difference in latitudes on the condition that both images were fresh takes (as the moon wobbles over time). BTW I used the 300PF+TC14E+TC20E III on D500 for this take.

Thanks Øivind for sharing the details of your setup, I didn't think it was possible to use the two TCs together!

Upon a second look, I found out that I could couple them, using the TC20E III attached to the lens, followed by the TC-14E II (close to the body). Naturally both had been modified by removing the blocking flange on the mount that prevented it.

If I were to use both teleconverters on my 1V3 I would have to resort to tiling 4 pictures together, the moon fills the frame already with a 500mm + TC20E. Here's an example taken yesterday with this setup:
Nikon 1V3 + FT1 + TC20EIII + 200-500mm @450mm (I had to lower the zoom for easier framing, @500mm a small slice of the moon is excluded if framing is not 100% perfect)

I added a few black pixels top and bottom, and cropped the sides to have a square photo. 3500x3500 px, resized to 1200x1200. Original uncropped is 5232x3488 px.

Ciao from Massimo

My latitude is 44.494810° N, between Akira's and yours.
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #721 on: April 25, 2021, 08:02:20 »

Yes, 1000mm on a 2.7x crop sensor is more than enough for the moon - no reason to do the TC stacking with a 500 mm except for planetary imaging. Also must have been pretty tricky keeping the target in the frame with the mosaic unless you were on a tracker. Interesting that you mention the TC modification;  when I receive a TC, removing the tab it is the first thing I do after checking out the optical performance, so I hardly remember that I have done it or the need to do it!
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #722 on: April 25, 2021, 10:15:50 »
The 26th of next month (May) falls on the super full moon which should work as a bonus to the effort to lengthen the virtual focal length!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #723 on: April 25, 2021, 13:02:11 »
The 26th of next month (May) falls on the super full moon which should work as a bonus to the effort to lengthen the virtual focal length!

That will be a fine moment to test the size of the SuperMoon: currently yesterday's Moon fills my frame to the edges on a 1V3 with a 500mm + TC20E. the supermoon will certainly overflow my frame...

@Øivind: you are certainly aware of the 1.3x crop feature of the D500: eliminating the black/blue pixels at the periphery and concentrating on the Moon, you will have even more reach, with a 1.95x crop vs 1.5x (you are using only the central 18x12 mm² area vs 24x16 mm² of the DX frame). On my D500 I mapped one of the Fn buttons to the sensor area selection.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #724 on: April 25, 2021, 19:25:24 »
That will be a fine moment to test the size of the SuperMoon: currently yesterday's Moon fills my frame to the edges on a 1V3 with a 500mm + TC20E. the supermoon will certainly overflow my frame...

@Øivind: you are certainly aware of the 1.3x crop feature of the D500: eliminating the black/blue pixels at the periphery and concentrating on the Moon, you will have even more reach, with a 1.95x crop vs 1.5x (you are using only the central 18x12 mm² area vs 24x16 mm² of the DX frame). On my D500 I mapped one of the Fn buttons to the sensor area selection.

Ciao from Massimo

I've read the size of the moon and the sun on a sensor is roughly 1/100 of the focal length of the lens.  The size of a 1" sensor is 13.2 x 8.8mm, so a 500mm with 2x TC should be long enough to fill the frame.

As my SIGMA pf is an LCD-only camera, I avoid using APS-C crop mode: it is easier to target the moon with a 400mm lens in the full-frame mode.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #725 on: April 25, 2021, 23:01:10 »

Yes, the crop modes do not provide any higher pixel density on the target, so it is just as easy to crop in post as with my capture above. If I need even more pixels on the target, I grab for my AW1. Just look back in this thread.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #726 on: April 27, 2021, 13:56:10 »
Industrial pink moonrise.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #727 on: May 02, 2021, 20:00:58 »
April full moon

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #728 on: May 13, 2021, 18:26:38 »
Have any of you come across or tried using Sequator yet?

https://sites.google.com/view/sequator/

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #729 on: May 13, 2021, 21:31:57 »
Have any of you come across or tried using Sequator yet?

https://sites.google.com/view/sequator/

I have. Some night shots i have posted here i've stacked with Sequator (just can't find the links now  :-[ ).

EDIT: found the link: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=1679.msg165600#msg165600
Hans Cremers

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #730 on: May 13, 2021, 21:49:58 »
Standard night exposure  105 Micro-Nikkor, Df.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #731 on: May 14, 2021, 04:18:04 »
I have. Some night shots i have posted here i've stacked with Sequator (just can't find the links now  :-[ ).

EDIT: found the link: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=1679.msg165600#msg165600

I find that Sequator is my preferred choice for easy stacking star trails, it preserves color and contrast much better than DSS that needs special treatment to recover the colors.

That image in the link with "accidental" bats is really interesting, HCS! 
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #732 on: May 14, 2021, 05:22:12 »
That image in the link with "accidental" bats is really interesting, HCS!

Indeed, an interesting capture!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #733 on: May 14, 2021, 05:25:15 »
Standard night exposure  105 Micro-Nikkor, Df.

Looks like a profile of a joker with long beard and a glowing eye.   ::)

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #734 on: May 14, 2021, 16:43:40 »
I missed this discussion a couple of weeks ago.  An added bonus for the May 26th full moon will be a total eclipse, visible around the Pacific.  It's a brief one, only about 14 minutes in totality.  In Seattle it occurs just after 4 am, and the moon will still be emerging from the eclipse when the sun rises.  Clouds are a potential problem here, of course ...  Details: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2021-may-26