Author Topic: [Theme] minimalist images  (Read 245616 times)

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
Re: minimalist images
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2015, 02:45:18 »
Minimal in colour, too.  Both from long time ago and perhaps more creative a time with less equipment.

Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2015, 02:57:32 »
Very beautiful craftsmanship and well photographed, Akira!  Do you own this instrument?

Eb, your orchid closeup is simply exquisite!

Thanks for the comment on my image.  Baroque guitars are the most elaborately decorated European plucked instruments in the entire history.  Unfortunately this one is not mine, but I have a reproduction of a French guitar from 19th century made by the same luthier.  It is also very well made.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2015, 03:15:23 »
A test image with the "Enigma" lens on the D4S. My garden Forsythia provided the  test subject.

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 03:37:42 »
Eb, your orchid closeup is simply exquisite!

Thanks for the comment on my image.  Baroque guitars are the most elaborately decorated European plucked instruments in the entire history.  Unfortunately this one is not mine, but I have a reproduction of a French guitar from 19th century made by the same luthier.  It is also very well made.
You are fortunate, indeed, Akira, to have your fine 19th century reproduction instrument, by this maker!  I have had many classical guitars, I should have kept them, since they now are so much more expensive.  Among them were a Kohno #15 and a Sakurai #10.  Currently I am satisfied with two locally made custom instruments.  One is based on a Kohno plantilla, obviously derived from the Spanish and the other an English style (Romanillos) plan, based on his study of Hauser designs.  I try hard to play, but arthritis has caught up to me!   :(
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2015, 03:58:40 »
Mr. Sakurai is the best deciple of Kohno and is the head of Kohno guitars.  One of their fortes is that the tonewoods they work on are very well seasoned, and the guitars are very immune to the change of the climate, which make them one of the favorites among the guitarists traveling around the world.  I think Kohno and Romanillos (based on Hauser which is a far descendant of Torres) are two of the best designs of the modern classical guitars.

Sorry about your arthritis.  Actually, I figure one of the biggest problem among the modern classical guitar players is that the standard way of holding the guitar tend to cause tendonisis.  The way 19th century guitars were held was way more tender to the body.  Also, the 19th century guitars like La Cote, Panormo, Stauffer are much smaller, and their necks are more like today's electric guitars.  So, they are much more comfortable to handle, carry and store.  That's why I ended up with my copy.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2015, 03:59:52 »
A test image with the "Enigma" lens on the D4S. My garden Forsythia provided the  test subject.

Oh, c'mon!  Please tell us more about the enigma lens!

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2015, 04:39:36 »
Mr. Sakurai is the best deciple of Kohno and is the head of Kohno guitars.  One of their fortes is that the tonewoods they work on are very well seasoned, and the guitars are very immune to the change of the climate, which make them one of the favorites among the guitarists traveling around the world.  I think Kohno and Romanillos (based on Hauser which is a far descendant of Torres) are two of the best designs of the modern classical guitars.

Sorry about your arthritis.  Actually, I figure one of the biggest problem among the modern classical guitar players is that the standard way of holding the guitar tend to cause tendonisis.  The way 19th century guitars were held was way more tender to the body.  Also, the 19th century guitars like La Cote, Panormo, Stauffer are much smaller, and their necks are more like today's electric guitars.  So, they are much more comfortable to handle, carry and store.  That's why I ended up with my copy.
Nice to go off topic and swap guitar stories.  Maybe a good idea to start a guitar images thread! 

Yes, I hear you on the difficult positions/ergonomics for playing modern classical guitars.  Typically, it is OK when you are younger.  I gave up on footstools and use the Barnett guitar support.  That helps, but at my age, nothing helps enough with arthritis/tendonitis/tunnel carpal/ etc. afflictions - too little, too late!  BTW, I once played a Panormo copy and nearly jumped out of my skin!  Had to have one, but couldn't justify or really afford one at that time.  So I am pleased you found yourself a guitar based on that period. 

My Romanillos copy is a compromise, smaller and lighter, but no where near a 19th century instrument, 'though!  You are right about the Kohno/Sakurai guitars, both very solid instruments, which survived without cracking in the dry prairie climate near Calgary and the wet Vancouver climate.  Both were made in the 1970s.
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2015, 05:51:21 »
Eb, I could also go on forever talking about the gutars, but we'd better stop highjacking this beautiful thread started by Jakov!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2015, 05:54:01 »
I hope this image, originally posted not long ago, would resume the topic.  :)

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2015, 07:19:49 »
There are so many ways to achieve minimalism.  I believe it is exploration of the impact of simplicity, a meaningful glance, a single word, a single bar.  Perhaps, we strive for that in most of our photographs.

Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:45 »
Great thread !

Inspiration, aestheticism and...culture are present here.

I love to hear everything about guitar, although I am a poor guitar player... :'(

:)

Francis Devrainne

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:53 »
There are so many ways to achieve minimalism.  I believe it is exploration of the impact of simplicity, a meaningful glance, a single word, a single bar.  Perhaps, we strive for that in most of our photographs.
True that! Your images are sheer pleasure for eyes. Thanks for sharing them, Eb.
Anirban Halder

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2015, 09:20:21 »
Clearly, a topic for which there is an unlimited supply of photos. I have to add myself.

Water sprout and Fungi. (D2X, AF 200/4 Micro-Nikkor)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2015, 09:23:03 »
Next refinement and evolution of the very same scene as in the previous post. Camera standpoint moved a few cm to the left.

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2015, 10:05:29 »
These type of light-tracing images are easy to make, but are rarely as interesting as this one.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA