Author Topic: OS X 10.11 - El Capitan, issues and discussion thread  (Read 6644 times)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
OS X 10.11 - El Capitan, issues and discussion thread
« on: October 06, 2015, 13:33:13 »
Apple recently released OS X 10.11, El Capitan, I figured it would be nice to have a thread about peoples experiences and possible issues.

I'm basically only using Lightroom for editing photos and I haven't run into any issues so far, but there is a known issue with tethering Nikon and Leica cameras: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-and-el-capitan---mac-os-10-11.html?PID=3180294

As already said, it's been completely stable for me so far, unlike Yosemite which wasn't exactly a flawless experience.

EDITED: To keep focus on photography software.
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: OS X 10.11 - El Capitan, issues and discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 13:42:42 »
In the scope of our forum, NG, I'd prefer reports relating to issues or lack thereof for typical photographic applications. I.e., Adobe CC, Photoshop, Lightroom, RAW converters, etc. There are lots of other forums covering bugs of any operating system as such.

The general recommendation of not going with the First Wave of technology applies to all fields of course. A new OS should be fully tested in a virtual machine, or on a test machine, before you allow your production environment to be upgraded.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 13:43:59 »
Okay, feel free to delete the thread.
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 13:46:59 »
No, that is not what I meant. We know about 35% of the people visiting NG use Macs, so obviously there is a huge interest for such reports. Just don't miss the focus (sic).

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 13:50:03 »
Ahh, I should have kept shorter and focused on the tethering issue, that was in fact what caused me to create the post. I'll modify my post.
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 13:51:43 »
Often it is helpful to link to general discussions for people interested in the underlying issue(s).

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 16:52:27 »
Well, it seems my luck ran out. Adobe has released new versions of Lightroom and Photoshop. LR has already crashed twice after upgrading, first time without me even using the program, I had only started it and switched to reading nikongear in my browser.
Jørgen Ramskov

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 18:40:51 »
Thanks for being our guinea pig Jørgen and good luck with fixing the issues :)

Myself I'll stay on 10.9.5 until it runs out of support or buy a new Mac, it does what it needs to do and is very stable, two things I really appreciate.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

stenrasmussen

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 18:49:27 »
I am running the captain on my Mac Pro 3.1 (2008) without any issues so far. Processing using Creative cloud softwares PS, LR and BR.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 19:27:47 »
No issues with CNX-D, CS-6 or any other image processing tools.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 21:28:44 »
Jan Anne: That's what happens when you're curious and have, perhaps, too much time available :)

Sten: Have you upgraded to the latest version of the CC apps? They have released 2015.2 the other day.

I'm certainly not the only one to have a bad experience if you look at the Adobe forums: https://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

Speaking of Adobe CC, I'm not too impressed about the CC app. On the light side of issues, I have seen errors in the update history info, but the only way I've found it will figure out there are actually updates available is to logout and login again. Last, it's good that it's not an app that I have to open/use often because they are very fond of their new stock photos and videos feature and pushes it into your face whenever you open the application. That, it seems, they can get to work reliably. /rant
Jørgen Ramskov

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 00:06:53 »
The temporary fix (a settings change) now mentioned here, stopped LR from crashing for me: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-and-el-capitan---mac-os-10-11.html
Jørgen Ramskov

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 18:22:26 »
Things only started to go awfully wrong with the update of Lightroom to the 2015.2 version which came in yesterday. Crashes all over the place, especially when editing with external software (PhotoNinja in my case), and the mentioned disabling of "add photos" did not help.
It was easy to reinstall the previous 2015.1.1 version, all is well now again  ;D

My advise is to skip the 2015.2 version completely, it is a trainwreck.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 18:31:42 »
Easy to reinstall 2015.1? It should be a 1 or 2-click option in the CC app.
Jørgen Ramskov

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 18:56:52 »
Things only started to go awfully wrong with the update of Lightroom to the 2015.2 version which came in yesterday. Crashes all over the place, especially when editing with external software (PhotoNinja in my case), and the mentioned disabling of "add photos" did not help.
It was easy to reinstall the previous 2015.1.1 version, all is well now again  ;D

My advise is to skip the 2015.2 version completely, it is a trainwreck.

I'm having the same problems with an iMac (fusion drive) and El Capitan... How do you re-install 2015.1.1 ?? I'm not on CC but on the classical version !
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.