Author Topic: [Theme] b&w's  (Read 207022 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: [Theme] b&w's
« Reply #600 on: March 07, 2018, 21:08:54 »
Beautiful harsh light portrait Armando. It gives personality to the model. Like the idea, the expression and specially your relationship with her and balance with information/deep blacks. Ads mystery too.

Thanks for sharing it

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2018, 02:07:11 »
Beautiful harsh light portrait Armando. It gives personality to the model. Like the idea, the expression and specially your relationship with her and balance with information/deep blacks. Ads mystery too.

Thanks for sharing it
Paco, thanks for commenting, you always bring up  interesting  aspects of the images that usually I have not considered, I'm usually more binary, like or unlike, maybe I should stop and really think why

I really enjoy the images on this thread from the feather, bridge, folded paper, flowers, boats, people, etc ...
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2018, 04:49:06 »
Right, it is completely different ball game, having a person that is there to have their picture(s) taken,  besides going out hunting, which is a very rewarding experience when the hunt is successful but I have not done it for a while
Armando, at my age most of the women I know are not big on the idea of posing for me.   Even my wife hates it.   I have known this young lady since she was a baby and she is very happy for me to photograph her but unfortunately she is at school about 12 hours away so I only see her during her school Hols.  This was taken at a recent event with the Pen F, Pany 25 f1.4 at f2.8.   I would really like to try some lighting with her (lighting has never been my strong suit...lol) .  I do not think I've posted before...

Tom Hardin, Goa, India

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2018, 05:39:43 »
Tom , I do not know these girls, I'm part of a photo club that has practice sessions every week and it is 99% studio shots with "models",  I go twice or maybe once per month. Outside the club opportunities for portraits are much less,  my wife also does not enjoy having her photo taken , but a couple of cowerkers have asked me to take photos of them, when it happens then I'll use natural light must of the time
Armando Morales

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2018, 05:59:40 »
Armando, I have always envied your Photo Club.  In today's India , being a foreigner shooting Indian women is touchy.  A good friend, Goan, is one of India's top fashion designers and I used to be able to shoot his Catwalk models but no control in those situations.  These days he doesn't often have shows locally  :( .  Some time back I posted an image of two Russian Showgirls at the beach.  I should have been more forward and approached them  ;) .  They obviously did not mind being photographed.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #605 on: March 08, 2018, 08:30:45 »
Same workman, different image and different treatment.    Started with Nik SE II and then started playing with sliders  :) .  Shame about the sun directly on his back/T-shirt
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #606 on: March 08, 2018, 12:48:47 »
Excellent image
Armando Morales

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2018, 03:41:36 »
Thanks Armando, often people are like birds, you have no choice on the light or surroundings.  Interesting how images get different receptions on different sites  :) .  Learning even more about how the D500 acts (noise) at minor changes in ISO (400-640-720).  Still looking for the "Sweet Spot"  ;)

Cheers,
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2018, 07:24:19 »
Love the portrait. Framing with the black background makes him pop. Attitude and expression...would male it iconic Hollywood. Much more visual dinamics in lighting, framin, contrast, posture makes for a stronger image than the others of the same guy, I think.

Thanks for sharing it!

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #609 on: March 09, 2018, 10:46:24 »
Great portrait, I agree that it has a Hollywood look.
Anthony Macaulay

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2018, 16:20:57 »
Thanks Armando, often people are like birds, you have no choice on the light or surroundings.  Interesting how images get different receptions on different sites  :) .  Learning even more about how the D500 acts (noise) at minor changes in ISO (400-640-720).  Still looking for the "Sweet Spot"  ;)

Cheers,
When I do street shooting if I find a spot with nice light I wait for people to walk into it
Armando Morales

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #611 on: March 10, 2018, 05:46:42 »
Paco, thanks and I agree , Thanks Anthony.  Armando, that works and often do that when travelling and longer lenses.  Unfortunately the unusual stuff that I enjoy catching can happen in less than ideal situations so that is when I wing it.  Some time back I was driving on a small, busy highway by the river and saw a fantastic scene (on a stormy day) with shafts of sunlight hitting one of the 400 year old Churches on a hill across the river.  Like a Master of light had painted it.  There was just no way to stop.  A couple of hundred metres down I could pull off but the clouds had closed.  Total one off and Biblical  :)
Cheers,
Tom 
This is the scene I was left with.  The left most Church is the one with the light.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #612 on: March 14, 2018, 00:26:40 »
a couple of leaves
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Chrisar

• NG Member
« Reply #613 on: March 19, 2018, 22:11:20 »
Armando, at my age most of the women I know are not big on the idea of posing for me.   Even my wife hates it.   I have known this young lady since she was a baby and she is very happy for me to photograph her but unfortunately she is at school about 12 hours away so I only see her during her school Hols.  This was taken at a recent event with the Pen F, Pany 25 f1.4 at f2.8.   I would really like to try some lighting with her (lighting has never been my strong suit...lol) .  I do not think I've posted before...

Very nice candid shot.

Chrisar

• NG Member
« Reply #614 on: March 19, 2018, 22:19:09 »
Sunny road

D7100 + Angenieux 35-70