Author Topic: Interesting test of the Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 Ai-S  (Read 7596 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Interesting test of the Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 Ai-S
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 08:00:38 »
If I remember correctly, the aspherical surface is the front side of the second element, not the first one.

The Noct-Nikkor has first element ASPH

The new; First and # 6...
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 08:11:24 »
Heres a third take on sharpness while we are at it,,,
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-58mm-f1-4g/3

Not that it matters much, the overall rendering is THE most important and I just love both of them for that, if in doubt just buy one of each, keep both or the one you like the most and if it's the old one get a CPU from Bjørn for it  ;D 8)
Erik Lund

Almass

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 10:45:16 »
Heres a third take on sharpness while we are at it,,,
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-58mm-f1-4g/3

Not that it matters much, the overall rendering is THE most important and I just love both of them for that, if in doubt just buy one of each, keep both or the one you like the most and if it's the old one get a CPU from Bjørn for it  ;D 8)

Doctor. Frankly, the only thing I like about the 58G is the Sombrero effect which makes it a near perfect portrait lens (not headshots). I do not care about the peripherals for Beauty/Fashion shots.

As for the Noct. It is nicely sitting pristine in it's box unused.....sad but such is the situation.

I am not in favour of the 58G Bokeh and prefer the Noct. The 58G has both cateyes and onions Bokeh which is not to my liking. 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 10:56:47 »
Almass, I think we have established what you dislike here...
I have only seen onion rings in oof highlights on very few images from the new 58 1.4 when provoked, so I can live with that and the cast eyes appearing at the corners for some oof renderings :)
PS I don't shoot beauty/fashion...  ;)
Erik Lund

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 11:45:33 »
casual shot Df 58@1.4 iso 3200, no tampering

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 19:42:59 »
The softening from diffraction is real, and can be seen in the aerial image.   To me, the resolution vs. diffraction debate becomes moot once the photo is locked in to a reproduction size.  It either has the desired impression of sharpness at the given display size/resolution, or it doesn't.
I have a particular 50mm that is amazingly un-soft at f/22,.....IF the print is small. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 21:42:13 »
I think this stuff is very subjective. I love to use the 58/1.4 AF-S but recognize that sometimes the cat's eyes look a bit odd. Most of the time I love its out of focus rendering. I use it for portraits (of adults and children) and events.

I would not be able to use a manual focus lens wide open reliably for low light event photography but with an autofocus lens (the 58/1.4) I get good results in this context. I love its colours and contrast and overall "feel" of the image. It is also significantly less expensive than the f/1.2 Noct.

Vilhelm

• Mr.
  • NG Member
  • Gone fishing
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 23:48:38 »
I had an opportunity to buy a Noct Nikkor some 10 years ago, but passed on it as I found the image quality on a D2x being way too soft, way too chromatish aberrationish and way too low in contrast. Two years ago I had a strike of luck on eBay and managed to nail one for a 3-digit number, other bidders apparently were scared by the external look that showed years of press photo use. Seller promised that despite rough looks lens surfaces are pristine, and so they were.

I really was pleasantly surprised by how good detail even wide open in the center was. Field curvature is crazy with this lens but who gives a damn - it's really fun to be able to shoot hand-held at 1/200s even at twilight. The previous copy I tried must have been in need of CLA I was told, because the local lens service wizard I employ taught me that the lens helicoid (it focuses by moving all of the assembly back and forth) has to be aligned to infinity properly, otherwise the lens will show softness, vignetting and CA at closer distances despite nailing focus (weird?)

1200x800 does not give justice to the detail in these images, but perhaps the illustration is still worth it. I shot this series in my old neighborhood, anticipating moving to another district of Helsinki. I wanted to put this up on the wall in our new apartment but our interior architect in charge (Mrs. Vilhelm) decided that the wall in my mind was to be occupied by 15 polaroid-sized instagram prints in frames [silent cursing].

So now I have this adorning my studio workspace wall. All shot with a Df at ISO 12,800 1/200s f/1.2
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
- George Bernard Shaw

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 02:17:11 »
I just adore the mood in these pictures. Lovely! :)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:55 »
If Brassai was shooting Paris night scenes today, he'd have that camera and that lens.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 13:57:40 »
These are beautiful pictures Vilhelm! Awesome night shots - Thanks also for your reviews of the SL Apo Lanthars. I'll try to add some pictures to the threads.

I also managed to get an Ai-s Noct but spent about US$1800 - expensive but compared to current prices perhaps 'reasonable'. I try to put it into perspective with my friend's Leica Noctilux at $12000 and the new AF-s 58mm at the same price.

The Noct is unique - the rendering is quite different from the Haruo Sato duo of the 35mm and the AF-s 58mm which is also special and unique. For my run and gun type of street shots, I don't have enough skill to get things in focus with the Noct so the AF-s 58mm gets more in focus. But the Noct pictures are always special. I have traveled with it as my only lens and although magical at f1.2 is also sharp, contrasty with high micro and macro contrast and Apo like at f4 and f5.6

D700 and Df @ f1.2