Author Topic: So, what cameras are you using nowadays?  (Read 47257 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
So, what cameras are you using nowadays?
« on: June 15, 2015, 00:17:11 »
Just curious what cameras you guys and girls are using nowadays?

Though I still consider myself a Nikon shooter my only camera at the moment is the Sony a7S which serves my current needs as a travel / hiking camera perfectly with its small size, high ISO low pixel sensor, electronic first curtain (I shoot a lot at slow shutter speeds) and the capability to use lenses with several lens mounts which currently includes Nikon F, Canon EF, Leica M and LTM, Contax G, Sony FE, etc but I plan to thin the herd a bit in the coming months.

So, what are you using these days?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: So, what cameras are you using nowadays?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 00:27:59 »
After quite a lot of Nikon gear, I kept the D3x and settled for the Df as my everyday camera. My old collection of MF lenses is seing a lot of use, amid some AF's ones !
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 00:43:17 »
My photography covers many fields so camera and gear are diversified a lot.

• Main camera these days are Nikon Df (*2).
  • Travels, leisure, and underwater use: Nikon 1AW1 (with a lot of lenses).
  • Just for having fun with exotic lenses: Nikon 1V1.
  • Ultraviolet (UV) photography conducted with Nikon D600, D3200, D40x, (D200), Panasonic GH-2 (UV video), Fuji S3 Pro UV/IR LE.
  • Infrared (IR) photography employs Nikon D5300, D40X, (D200), Panasonic GF-1, GH-2 (IR video)
  • Special landscapes: Nikon D800, perhaps a D810 in the future?.
  • Feature and action: Nikon D3X, D3S.
  • Still kept all my film cameras, going from Nikon S, S2, S3, SP rangefinders, to Nikon F, F2, F3, F4, F5, Hasselblad XPan, Arca-Swiss F-line 6x9cm, 4x5", 8x10". Plus all those by now obsolete DSLRs such as Nikon D1, D1H, D1X, D2H, D2X, D70, D40.
  • Photomacrography: Nikon Multiphot (*2)

Plus far too many lenses, most of which are in Nikon F mount and CPU-enabled.

Maybe I should list a lens house or two?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 00:49:27 »
Df. Sometimes D800 if I need better AF (coverage) or anticipate heavy cropping (birding).

And when on travel (like now) OM-D E-M1.
Airy Magnien

David Rose

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:16:15 »
The Df is my only digital camera at the moment, still have my FE2.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:46:01 »
  • Nikon D5100 is my main body. Looking for DX alternative with better viewfinder in near future. I am currently getting along with it due to the installed Katzeye all matte screen.
  • Nikon 1 AW1 for underwater/snorkling use and fun around/at water. It is also carried along with the main body on most trips for quick access shots/"my point and shoot" and when large depth of field is required. Further used for exploration with FT-1 and my manual focus lenses for narrow angle of view.
  • IR body : D40x with Lifepixel IR-720nm conversion and Katzeye all matte screen.
  • I still keep my D200 with Katzeye all matte screen for backup/special use.
  • Underwater - scuba diving (sadly not much active these days) body is still my Nikon F4 with action finder in its state of the art Subal Procase housing.
  • Still keeping my Nikon F2.
Øivind Tøien

DaveO

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 02:25:08 »
  I'm using the Nikon D300s as my main camera, but I also use an FM2n and an F6 when I get a chance to use film.  I have quite a bit in the refrigerator.
   I also have a Rolleiflex 3.5 F that I pull out once in a while to keep the shutter going.  I had a Yashica TLR, but the shutter froze up from lack of use.
  I also have two Sony point and shoot digital cameras that I carried yesterday to a car outing in our neighborhood.  The older one even has a small viewfinder that zooms with the lens.
David Olsen

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 03:04:23 »
D4s
D810
D800E
D300s, D300s (UV-VIS-IR)
D200 (IR-665), D200 (UV-Vis-IR) (X2), D200 (IR-830), D200

the only one that i really don't use is that spare D200 i was going convert then didn't...  if i don't intend to use them i usually sell them.... the first three in the list get the most use.... my D800E is almost at 195k shutter actuations.. and still strong
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 03:05:37 »
Mostly D800
or Nik 1 V1
my cell phone - motorola something G or  X can't remember
Occasionally pinhole camera

Rarely Canons S95, Olympus EPL1
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 03:10:31 »
Df for pure enjoyment, D3S, gripped D300s, gripped D700 for sport.  D7100, D300s and D750 for birds,  Df/EM1 for travel.  I'm in the market for a pocket large sensor P&S, getting too old  ;) .
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 04:56:28 »
List: D600 D3 X100T Sinar P2 with D600 as digiback D600 with Absolute Pano Adapter with 800Megapixel of 360°x180°, some lenses for the Nikons and the Sinar.

Comment: The better I get along with the D600 the less I use the D3. The old workhorse still has an ergonomic advantage but that is it. As I do not use Zooms my AF performance is not as fast as it could be with Zooms. With AFS primes I feel the D600 to be in the lead (not with screwdriver). IQ is significantly better also LowLightPerformance. Sometimes I thought why not replace the two with 2xD750 but no. I have the Absolute so I am destined to keep the 600 plus the 24G anyway. Plus the limits to my photography are not on the equipment side. Professionally my ability to conduct business and health issues are limiting, I actively  work on both. Artistically I learn everyday also in the technical domain I advance my knowledge all the time.

I really wish for a silent camera with a longer lens to accompain the X100T which is great for unintrusive shooting. The Nikons are huge and a tad bullying.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 08:18:12 »
Nikon D810
Nikon D7100
Sony RX100 II
Nikon D1x (still have it)

VIDEO

Sony FS700 with C0nvergent Design Odyssey 7Q 4K
Panasonic GH4 4K
Black Magic Pocket Camera 10-bit Pro Res
Several old or smaller Sony camera
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 09:01:13 »
 I own just three cameras now, they are D800e, D4s and D7100.
I'm tempted to upgrade to the D810 though there's no hurry.
Tony Oaten

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 09:14:28 »
D700.
When I need or want smaller pixels, I use D300.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 09:44:26 »
I have a D810 and two D3X, they are used for both personal and paid work - the D3X is still my favourite camera. I also use an RX100 for aerial photography from my Bumble-Bee (DJI Phantom 2).  I am more interested in lenses than cameras at the moment...
Bjørn Jørgensen