Author Topic: School is out  (Read 4413 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
School is out
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:56:02 »
... and has been for quite some time. Bjørn J and I found this dilapidated school building on our way to the North Cape, Arctic Norway, in the summer of 2013. We spent quite some time moving in or out of the abandoned buildings. The eeriness of the site was further enhanced by strong winds blowing straight through cracked windows and tearing any remains of curtains into shreds. I did this subject in UV (video) and IR, my namesake went through his motions with wide-angles.

Here is one of the facades, captured by the D600 (broad-band) and the AFS 200/2 Nikkor. Filtration was Hoya R72.

This location is 70°58'35.742" N so far into the Arctic region  and weather accordingly is unrelenting, and harsh.  Weathering takes heavy tolls in a short time once buildings are abandoned or no longer maintained.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: School is out
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:44:44 »
The remains of the "curtain" blowing in the wind really makes this image
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:51:55 »
Absolutely. Its flapping sound was hard to miss at the site. I shot video sequences in which the effect is overwhelming uncanny and spooky.

This composition is, by the way, very textbook-like. Usually I'm not that fond of 'golden section' placement and all those 'rules' which frequently lead to a static and life-less composition. In this case I deliberately made an exception.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:57:38 »
I agree with Elsa on the curtain.
It looks so cold, brrrr...
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:09:26 »
At this latitude, everything is cold. You don't need the wind really.

I have to find a way of posting video without doing it on YouTube (blocked on my computers by intent).

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:14:19 »
We see this a lot. abandoned churches, schools, shops, houses, whole settlements gone. Everybody seems to move to the cities, because life opportunities multiply with the amount of people crammed together in one place.

Concerning the picture I love the ghostly effect of the curtain blowing in the wind. Is that 1/8 s or 1/4 s?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:21:28 »
Actually, 1/30 sec. Wind was very strong.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:27:19 »
Bjørn, can you please elaborate on the advantage of IR for this shot?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:43 »
Could have been done in many different ways I suppose. I just happened to be in the "invisible light" mood that day. So spent most of the time doing either UV or IR. This capture http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=313.msg2317 is same location, just looking towards the Arctic Sea instead.

Besides, I think IR makes the front facade look even more weathered, battered and damp.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 11:40:52 »
Thanks.
I a back from two weeks in Brittany (western tip of France) and mostly shot IR with my modified V1 because my wife fell in love with the Fuji X-T1 1 just purchased. So I had no access to visible light, which was fine actually! it will be intersting to compare our files.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 13:20:56 »
This composition is, by the way, very textbook-like. Usually I'm not that fond of 'golden section' placement and all those 'rules' which frequently lead to a static and life-less composition. In this case I deliberately made an exception.

Aha!  That's why I felt somewhat uncomfotable to accept this image as Bjørnesque.  The monochrome blue color is just fitting to the coldness of the Arctic, though.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Sash

• NG Member
  • From behind the Irony Curtain
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 13:48:01 »
The remains of the "curtain" blowing in the wind really makes this image

Interestingly in the north of Siberia, where I once spent a couple of winter months, the wind meant somewhat warmer weather, something like -30 or -35 C. When the wind settled and everything stood still, then it got seriously cold.
Alexander

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 13:54:03 »
This capture is done at the peak of the summer, mid July. As the Arctic Sea is the immediate neighbour, there is always wind here.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 00:53:29 »
Interestingly in the north of Siberia, where I once spent a couple of winter months, the wind meant somewhat warmer weather, something like -30 or -35 C. When the wind settled and everything stood still, then it got seriously cold.

Sash - interesting indeed. Unless we have a mountain wind (very warm and blows just hours before it rains - ) wind is cold and can take the temperature down several degrees. We call it the wind chill factor here.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 08:10:26 »
Nice and spooky i agree but why the slight tilt?
Erik Lund