Author Topic: Z6 or Z7 - Which Would You Recommend?  (Read 1931 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Z6 or Z7 - Which Would You Recommend?
« on: June 19, 2024, 22:32:27 »
With the new Z6 III coming out, I'm finding some good prices on used Z6 and Z7 cameras.  I already own a Z6 and love it for both stills and 4K video.

I no longer make large sized prints, so I don't really "need" the higher resolution of the Z7, although I do sometimes make substantial crops.  Also, 2 card slots are not required.

I would prefer to "upgrade" rather than just buy another Z6 (existing Z6 would become the backup camera).  So that leaves the Z6II, Z7, and Z7II, as options.   The ZF looks interesting, but it is a bit expensive for me (and I already have "pixel shift" capability in my Pentax K-1).

If you have experience with Nikon Z6II, Z7, and/or Z7II cameras, I would love to hear your camera recommendation.

Thanks!

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Z6 or Z7 - Which Would You Recommend?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 00:13:48 »
I like the Z7 II very much. I like the greater resolution. I also like the idea of the Z6 III because of the larger wells in the pixels, and the pixel-shift, although I have pixel-shift  in in my Z8 and don't use it a lot.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 06:32:51 »
The II versions of the Z6 and Z7 take affordable SD cards as well as the very expensive XQD and CF-Express cards, so I would opt for the Z7 II over the Z7 for example.  Less $ per gigabyte.
Hugh Gunn

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
    • Ian Grandjean Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 08:47:45 »
I'm very happy with my Z6ll - I don't use it for video but more as a compact full-frame camera to always have with me. I'm lucky enough to own Z8/9 for serious 'work' so don't really need the higher density sensor of the Z7.

The dual card slots is frankly a winner - probably more so for someone who uses the camera for video as the CFExpress cards are generally 'faster' than their SD equivalents.

I've read the spec on the Z6ll (who hasn't  ;) ) but it doesn't interest me much - the 'advantages' are pretty minimal with all the other gear I own !

I've been invited by NIKON France to a show and tell (play and tell?) on Friday but I doubt this will change my mind - this said, it'll be nice to be able to see the beast in the flesh, as it were.

I strongly recommend the Z6ll as a second body - despite the 4 year old tech etc.

Sometimes (read - most of the time) I get the impression people are more concerned with the latest gadgets rather than actually making images...
Ian Grandjean
Cameras, lenses, stuff...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024, 13:27:57 »

Sometimes (read - most of the time) I get the impression people are more concerned with the latest gadgets rather than actually making images...

That's the simple truth. Even at NG.

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2024, 18:22:51 »

What does this statement have to do with the subject of this thread?   

First, the cameras that I am asking questions about are not "the latest gadgets", they are actually older bodies that are suddenly cheaper because of the introduction of newer bodies.  I have no interest in the latest and greatest camera bodies because I can not afford them.  If I am as you say exclusively concerned about the "latest gadgets" then wouldn't my thread be about Nikon Z8, Z9, and even ZF bodies?

Second, you have no idea how much time I  (or the other commenters on this thread) spend "actually making images".  In the typical week, I spend a few minutes on gear related issues on the Internet, but I spend dozens of hours out shooting in nature and on photo safaris.

Darkslide

• NG Supporter
  • Be patient - I'm new!
    • Ian Grandjean Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 18:30:56 »
My reply to your post (which in your fit of pique seems to have been forgotten) was one thing - the comment I made at the end was another - and certainly not with regard to you - just a comment that while reading the forum (and fora in general) I get the impression that not much photography actually happens any more.

Take this as you will - my apologies if my meagre grasp of the English language mislead you - certainly not my intention.

However, if you fly off the handle at every remark, I for one won't bother replying any more.

I will delete my post if that makes you happier?
Ian Grandjean
Cameras, lenses, stuff...

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 18:46:50 »
My reply to your post (which in your fit of pique seems to have been forgotten) was one thing - the comment I made at the end was another - and certainly not with regard to you - just a comment that while reading the forum (and fora in general) I get the impression that not much photography actually happens any more.

Take this as you will - my apologies if my meagre grasp of the English language mislead you - certainly not my intention.

However, if you fly off the handle at every remark, I for one won't bother replying any more.

I will delete my post if that makes you happier?

Your comments on the Nikon Z6 II were greatly appreciated.   Thank you!

To keep this thread on subject, maybe you'd like to start a separate thread on your last statement?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2024, 22:47:59 »
Gentlemen, calm down.

This is a tempest in a small tea pot.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024, 00:52:43 »
I see your point, saving money on older gear that falls in price due to new offers on the market. That is why I wait for the Z9 price to fall.

I use and love my Z6 and can tell you that in practice its usefulness has a lot to do with the body shape and the lens you attach.

My Zf is great but the surface is sleek and so it has not real grip with bulky lenses. Short barrel lenses balance well on it, but my 1.2/50S is not useful on her.

Long thin combos like 300PF plus converter plus FTZ are perfect on both bodies.

If you own the Z6, the Z6II is not a real upgrade. I do find the firmware updates have minimized the advantages of the younger one significantly.

The Zf is a real upgrade, because she has a lot of Z9/8 innards.

So if you like the outer form of the Z6 go for a Z7II but first ask someone who has used both, if the difference in price justifies the differrnce with the newest firmware
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Lars Hansen

• NG Supporter
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 17:03:55 »
I had similar considerations before I bought my Z7 - here is some great advice from NG members you might find helpful:
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=10405.msg182809#msg182809

... I spend dozens of hours out shooting in nature and on photo safaris.

As for nature/safaris: I bought my Z7 from a friend who found the camera and AF too slow - he needed extra responsiveness for moving targets/birds and now have a Z9. So for moving targets the Z7 AF might not be fast enough for you and can also be tricky in low light - I've read that the Z7 II AF has better performance.

I like landscape/(slow)nature photography so the Z7 is perfect for me and I also use the extra pixels for cropping which IMO works well - also consider if the Z7 DX 20 MP mode might be useful for you. I use the Z7's  ISO 64 a lot (maybe because I'm a former Kodachrome 64 fan(atic) ;D) and rarely the high ISO settings so, like you, I might consider getting a cheaper Z6 for that and more casual photography.   

I agree with Hugh:
Large files and expensive memory cards was a small concern for me - I have a 128 GB QXD card that fills up a bit too quick with full resolution files and so does my SSD drives. I'm still waiting for prices to drop on CFExpress type b plus I'll need an additional card reader.
Make sure to check card compatibility. I've seen that one of Sandisk CFExpress type b cards is not compatible with the Z7 according to Nikon - don't know if that is the case with other memory card brands and a cheaper incompatible card is not of much use.         

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2024, 07:07:24 »
When i had the resources to get a Z camera, the Z6II and Z7II were the current offerings.
I have the Z7II because of the size.  D850 imager in a smaller package.  Z7 would be functionally the same for me:  The smallest possible "landscape camera".  I'm using the Z6II for softer lenses and when I shoot at f/11 and f/16.  Z6 would be functionally the same as Z6II for me also.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2024, 20:24:06 »
Given your comment "substantial crops" I would look for a great deal of a Z7 (like new with very low shutter counts now at around $1200).
If you need the latest AF performance, then the Z6III is the clear choice. Additional benefit of 96MP pics if required (stationary subjects though).
The Zf might be a good lower cost alternative to the Z6III, if you don't require the latest video features. Not for me though due to limited dexterity.

Personally I never looked into upgrading to the ZxII models, too little differences compared to investment IMHO. Perfectly fine for safari / wildlife pictures, just have to use it the right way...
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2024, 21:50:35 »
With the new Z6 III coming out, I'm finding some good prices on used Z6 and Z7 cameras.  I already own a Z6 and love it for both stills and 4K video.

I no longer make large sized prints, so I don't really "need" the higher resolution of the Z7, although I do sometimes make substantial crops.  Also, 2 card slots are not required.

I would prefer to "upgrade" rather than just buy another Z6 (existing Z6 would become the backup camera).  So that leaves the Z6II, Z7, and Z7II, as options.   The ZF looks interesting, but it is a bit expensive for me (and I already have "pixel shift" capability in my Pentax K-1).

If you have experience with Nikon Z6II, Z7, and/or Z7II cameras, I would love to hear your camera recommendation.

Thanks!

Why do you want to upgrade? The answer to that question may suggest the answer.
Anthony Macaulay

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2024, 23:44:32 »
Thanks all for your comments!  I ended up buying a used, Z7 for around $1200 USD  (https://www.ebay.com/itm/276517227192).

I didn't choose the Z7ii because:  1) it was about $600 more expensive than the Z7 I bought, and 2) the Z7ii really didn't have any additional features that were important to my style of photography.

Why upgrade?  I currently use my Z6 for both stills and videos.  I wanted higher resolution for some of my stills than the Z6 can provide.  Now that I have the Z7, I will exclusively use my Z6 to make YouTube videos in my studio.  The Z7 will be used only on a tripod for still images that require great detail. 

Why don't I use pixel shift (PS) to obtain greater detail?  I've owned various PS capable cameras since 2015 and still own one.  A few years ago, I was so excited about PS that I bought the domain "www.pixelshiftgallery.com".   But I've now completely given up on PS because most of what I shoot moves, and I'm tired of having pixel shift images ruined by subject movement.  So, out with PS for my detailed images, and in with the higher resolution Z7.