Author Topic: EN-El3 vs EN-EL18 for Nikon D3, D4 and D5  (Read 1655 times)

kasperbergholt

• NG Member
    • Photography, Tubes & Art Projects ~ Kasper Bergholt
EN-El3 vs EN-EL18 for Nikon D3, D4 and D5
« on: June 05, 2024, 10:02:42 »
Clever people,

I have a Nikon D3  with three EN-EL4a batterieas and an MH-22 charger. The batteries are almost dead, so I need to get some new ones. Non-original ones seem to make the most sense price-wise.

In the longer run, I'm planning to upgrade to a D5 (perhaps with a D4 as an intermediate step - just to have a small collection of the D series from 3 and up).

Can EN-EL18 batteries be used in the D3 with the MH-22 charger? Or does the D3 only support -EL4a?

Thanks in advance for the help :)
-- Kasper Bergholt

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: EN-El3 vs EN-EL18 for Nikon D3, D4 and D5
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 12:29:09 »
If memory serves -- not entirely sure about that -- you need the EN-EL4x batteries.

Sometimes, running Calibration On with the charger can prolong battery life. However, batteries have a finite life span.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 12:53:03 »
I'd be curious to know of a third party en-el4/a battery thats good. Here i have 2 OTB 's, 11.1V 2600Ah 28.86Wh, one of them is already dead. I use them next to the original Nikon battery which still works!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 13:07:48 »
For me the 3. party batteries I have purchased has worked as good as the originals.
There are several brands of 3. party batteries and I try to select a brand with good quality. I use Google to find some reviews.
Probably all batteries (incl. original Nikon) are Made in China.
For Z50 I have two original Nikon and two 3. party branded "Cellonic". On the battery they write "Designed in Germany". They get reasonable good reviews and have worked well so far.
I think original Nikon spare batteries are priced a bit high.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2024, 15:41:40 »
I have a large collection of third party batteries for the D3, mainly because I have 4 D3 bodies.  They are a mix of various brand names, all made in China and possibly all from the same assembly line.  What I have found is that if they fit in the battery compartment properly and take a full charge on initial charging, they're likely reliable.  In long term use the third party batteries don't hold a charge as long as the original Nikon batteries but they cost a fraction as much. 
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

kasperbergholt

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2024, 17:56:09 »
Thank you for the replies, all :)

Any takes on whether EN-EL18 batteries can be used in the D3 (and with the MH-22 charger)?
-- Kasper Bergholt

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 18:18:55 »
Although the form factors look similar, the position of the battery contacts is different.  They sit on the other side. Thus, the answer is no.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 19:47:52 »
I have a large collection of third party batteries for the D3, mainly because I have 4 D3 bodies.  They are a mix of various brand names, all made in China and possibly all from the same assembly line.  What I have found is that if they fit in the battery compartment properly and take a full charge on initial charging, they're likely reliable.  In long term use the third party batteries don't hold a charge as long as the original Nikon batteries but they cost a fraction as much.
I have the same experience with the D2X. D3s and D3x batteries. 

BTW the Nikon Z9 can use all the batteries from the D4/s  D5 and D6

kasperbergholt

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 20:45:12 »
Although the form factors look similar, the position of the battery contacts is different.  They sit on the other side. Thus, the answer is no.

Thank you :)
-- Kasper Bergholt

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2024, 11:10:40 »
When my two D3-era EN-EL4a batteries died, I got a brand new Nikon one to continue to be able to use my D3X. I don't use it a lot, but do use it as my primary studio camera (all the settings are dialed in, so I just pick it up and shoot); the ergonomics are great, I shoot at ISO 100, and I don't need a newer camera for this purpose. I figured if I can get 5-8 more years out of it with the new battery, it can then be retired. ;-)

kasperbergholt

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2024, 14:22:08 »
For me the 3. party batteries I have purchased has worked as good as the originals.
There are several brands of 3. party batteries and I try to select a brand with good quality. I use Google to find some reviews.
Probably all batteries (incl. original Nikon) are Made in China.
For Z50 I have two original Nikon and two 3. party branded "Cellonic". On the battery they write "Designed in Germany". They get reasonable good reviews and have worked well so far.
I think original Nikon spare batteries are priced a bit high.

Thank you for the feedback :)

The two batteries I've got both have the text 'Made in Japan' on them. I thought they were identical, but one is a EN-EL4 and the other a EN-EL4A. The difference seems to be between 1900mAh and 2500mAH - and the text is placed slightly different.

Could there be different productions run from both Japan and China?

-- Kasper Bergholt

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2024, 18:57:17 »
I vague remember the EN-EL4a appeared with the D3S?

You can use either of them, but the 'a' lasts a little longer.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2024, 11:43:20 »
I vague remember the EN-EL4a appeared with the D3S?

You can use either of them, but the 'a' lasts a little longer.

My D3 also came with the EN-EL4a in January 2008.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2024, 21:28:23 »
A perhaps related question ... my D3X clock doesn't hold time any more, it resets itself to 2007. The main battery is good, but it seems the clock battery is not.

Is this something that can still be serviced?

Stephan

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon since 1977
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2024, 21:56:07 »