Author Topic: Techart TZM-02 autofocus adapter / Nikon L/M adapter  (Read 1604 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Techart TZM-02 autofocus adapter / Nikon L/M adapter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2024, 11:13:21 »
Have a look at the Viltrox AF 16mm f/1.8 for Z cameras. No need for a stack of adapters and it even has a real aperture ring to play with -- which is working! Price is pretty competitive as well.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2024, 16:57:17 »
I am too, considering..

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2024, 15:46:09 »
I'm not surprised. These Viltrox designs are frequently  equally amazing quality-wise as their asking price is modest.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2024, 17:27:09 »
I ordered one through rollei.de.

Another review by Dustin Abbott, https://dustinabbott.net/2024/05/viltrox-af-16mm-f1-8-z-mount-review/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2024, 09:21:20 »
As the adapter (combo) is able to provide Autofocus to manual lenses I assume it will work similar to the TC16A (where a small focussing element is driven by a small motor) where you have to pre focus manually and the AF does the rest?
BTW Can't find my (modified) TC-16A for a significant amount of time so I had no chance so far to test whether it works with the FTZ adapter or not.
The TC-16A works like an AF-D and autofocus won't work with the FTZ adapter.  Manual focus does work.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2024, 12:37:21 »
Got my Viltrox 16mm f/1.8 this morning. Just 48 hrs from order to delivery, that is pretty fast :)

It looks quite similar to the Viltrox 75mm f/1.2 in build workmanship and heft. The latter lens certainly has stood up to some very serious abuse, including being dropped to frozen ground several times,  and continues to deliver high quality images on Z fc or Z9. Thus I expect the 16mm to perform likewise. The main difference is the 16mm is FX, whilst the 75mm is DX.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2024, 12:41:07 »
All the reviews suggest high expectations Birna!

seric

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2024, 19:01:42 »
The Viltrix 16mm is on my short list, I missed out on a good price in my country from Amazon during their recent sales event. The CV15 is a small/light travel lens for when I'd otherwise not be carrying anything so wide at all. The Viltrix appears to be a great purposeful tool, with the size that often goes along with that.

Back to the Techart TZM-02, my curiosity is if it could be used for short in-camera stacks with something like a 55 micro nikkor or CV65. Some searching makes me believe this is probably not currently possible.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2024, 22:54:05 »
The TC-16A works like an AF-D and autofocus won't work with the FTZ adapter.  Manual focus does work.
Thanks John for correcting me and helping me remind that TC-16A was actually driven by screwdriver AF- haven't used mine for years.
Nevertheless I'd like to adress that Screwdriver AF (where lenses exist with or without D characteristics) and AF-D is not the same.
Wolfgang Rehm