Author Topic: Techart TZM-02 autofocus adapter / Nikon L/M adapter  (Read 1744 times)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
Techart TZM-02 autofocus adapter / Nikon L/M adapter
« on: May 30, 2024, 23:07:44 »
I bought this set. The lower Techart TZM-02 autofocus adapter makes it possible to use manual focus M-mount (Leica / Voigtländer) lenses WITH autofocus on a Z camera. The upper Nikon F to M-mount adapter, in combination with the TZM-02 adapter, makes it possible to use manual focus F-mount Nikon lenses WITH autofocus on a Z camera. I quickly tested it with both a M and F mount lens, it works. Not super fast, but it works and that is quite a feat of technology.

Scherm-afbeelding 2024-05-30 om 22.33.08 by Luc de Schepper, on Flickr

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Techart TZM-02 autofocus adapter / Nikon L/M adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 09:57:54 »
Looks like an interesting system.

Apparently, the F to M adapter is a simple adapter with its M mount being able to sit into the somewhat recessed M mount of TZM-02.  A heavy Nikon F-mount lens could be burdensome to the adapter, but mounting the lens on a tripod would mitigate the problem.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 08:45:23 »
Is any EXIF data transmitted to the camera?

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 09:08:54 »
The focal length is derived from the setting of a fictional aperture value on the camera. Techart provides a table for this. For 50mm the value is f1.8, hence 50mm f1.8 in the exif on my images on Flickr. The real aperture value is not transferred.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 10:39:47 »
Interesting solution but rather expensive.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 11:21:06 »
I agree, it is expensive Euro 523 in total but it breathes new life into manual focus lenses.

This is how the two stacked adapters look on a Z6.

_7140007 by Luc de Schepper, on Flickr

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2024, 16:21:00 »
The TT-Artisan M-Z 6-Bit Lens Adapter Ring for Leica M Mount Lenses to Nikon Z Mount cameras certainly does transmit EXIF data to the camera body and also it supports the Z camera's focus dot feature.

Alas, focus must still be done manually with this adapter, although it does support focus trapping. 

And older M-mount lenses need to have the appropriate 6-Bit code added to them (however not a particularly difficult DIY task).

I guess that with a Nikon F-mount to Leica M-mount adapter and some bogus 6-bit coding on the F to M mount adapter, one could trick the camera into recording EXIF data for non-Leica manual lenses......

EDIT: 

The TT-Artisan M-Z 6-Bit adapter can also record the taking aperture in much the same way as the Nikon Df body handles non-Ai lenses when its aperture follower tab is flipped up;  in this situation the Df requires the taking aperture on the lens to be set to that which is set on the body.

Given that the TT-Artisan M-Z 6-Bit adapter can now do this on a Z camera, it is a great shame that Nikon's own FTZ adapter cannot do the same.  Just some firmware needed?

Is any EXIF data transmitted to the camera?
Hugh Gunn

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2024, 17:37:45 »
As the adapter (combo) is able to provide Autofocus to manual lenses I assume it will work similar to the TC16A (where a small focussing element is driven by a small motor) where you have to pre focus manually and the AF does the rest?
BTW Can't find my (modified) TC-16A for a significant amount of time so I had no chance so far to test whether it works with the FTZ adapter or not.
Wolfgang Rehm

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2024, 18:49:50 »
The Techart does not require prefocus. Just set the lens to infinity, set the focus point and press the shutter to focus/shoot. The Techart is a smart adapter with four micro motors that move an inner tube to achieve focus with the attached lens.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2024, 18:53:42 »

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2024, 20:59:08 »
Video showing how it works https://youtu.be/4q_57pvfvPA?feature=shared

It is worth reading the comments under that video.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2024, 10:41:59 »
FWIW, I have configured the red movie button on my Z6 to record voice memos. So if I want the record the aperture value of an image I can use this. Not ideal, but a fine workaround.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2024, 12:25:38 »
Yes, I have done that also.  Sadly the Z7 does not support such voice clips.

FWIW, I have configured the red movie button on my Z6 to record voice memos. So if I want the record the aperture value of an image I can use this. Not ideal, but a fine workaround.
Hugh Gunn

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2024, 13:07:25 »
Yes, I have done that also.  Sadly the Z7 does not support such voice clips.

Strange, not good Nikon.

seric

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2024, 00:57:48 »
Does anyone know if any of these adapters are compatible with the built in focus bracketing?

I almost pulled the trigger on one of these to combine with a CV 15mm f4.5, I figured the solution would be very similar in size to the native Z mount lens. In the end, reliability reports (and filter support) convinced me to buy the native Z-mount lens instead. I'd still be interested in a solution for use with the CV20mm and CV55mm. My biggest wish list item is a screw-drive FTZ compatible with focus bracketing.