Author Topic: Incredible Deals On Old Nikkor Lenses!  (Read 5305 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Incredible Deals On Old Nikkor Lenses!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2024, 11:15:49 »
A bit more technical info here and the adaption to the newer P-version:
https://www.nocsensei.com/camera/tecnica/marco-cavina/marcocavina/nikon-nikkor-ai-45mm-128-p/

A shame my Italy language reading is a bit limited.......but you always get something out of it....

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2024, 11:34:41 »
Was the 35/2 made in a GN-version?

I bit down the page there is an image of the 35/2 in a special "package" where GN-Nikkor is written on the "face":
https://www.nocsensei.com/camera/tecnica/marco-cavina/marcocavina/nikon-nikkor-35mm-12/

So......one more lens to search for. Probably more than $216 if I find one......but there should be incredible deals out there?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2024, 11:41:04 »
Ok, the GN Nikkor-O 35/2 seems to be a prototype so probably difficult to find on ebay as an incredible deal unless the seller does not know what he is selling:

https://www.nocsensei.com/camera/tecnica/marco-cavina/marcocavina/prototipi-nikon-nikkor-del-1967/

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2024, 17:04:42 »
I received my "new" GN-Nikkor today. Very nice looking. Close to mint condition.
The lens to the left is my "old" GN. I was looking for the speciel lens shade with F-logo and ended up with a lens + shade.
One image I focused at the aperture blades to conclude that the new one has 7-blades and the old 9.
One more difference is the coating which is purple on old and blue on new. 3rd image showing this. I have no idea why Nikon changed the coatings as both are single coated I assume.
Is the blue coating better than the purple?
I could test that now I have both types.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2024, 21:17:52 »
I tested the "new" lens a few min. ago with a short walk and took some images in dim light. 1. and 3. at aperture 8 and 2. at aperture 4.
Think lens is doing ok. Why all these lens elements when four is enough?
Each image has a 100% crop.

What is important using the F-Z adapter is to not just believe that infinity mark is spot on. That is not the case. It goes past infinity so focus by zooming in to 100% or more is the way to do it.
Probably the adapter is designed that way to be sure it can go to infinity with most lenses. I guess the GN was infinity adjusted from factory so it was spot on using a F-body.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2024, 21:25:02 »
One more example:

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2024, 23:22:07 »
I tested the "new" lens a few min. ago with a short walk and took some images in dim light. 1. and 3. at aperture 8 and 2. at aperture 4.
Think lens is doing ok. Why all these lens elements when four is enough?
Each image has a 100% crop.

What is important using the F-Z adapter is to not just believe that infinity mark is spot on. That is not the case. It goes past infinity so focus by zooming in to 100% or more is the way to do it.
Probably the adapter is designed that way to be sure it can go to infinity with most lenses. I guess the GN was infinity adjusted from factory so it was spot on using a F-body.

Lovely images, and nicely sharp at 100%.    I think it's a keeper lens, that's for sure.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2024, 23:43:51 »
Yes, and the $200 for the lens was not that bad. Then with shipping + tax from US to DK it added up to a bit more than $300.
But I have seen the HN-4 lens shade as standalone to $150 or more. The F-logo HN-4 to be the most expensive. Now I got both lens + shade.
Lens looks good on Z-body. The focus action is a bit strange. Especially at the long end. Lens has a 30m mark and from there a bit to go to infinity. Like a tele-lens. That has to do with the special GN-feature.
Even with only 4 lens elements the lens seems to be corrected for CA very well.

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2024, 15:42:24 »
nikon really need to develop DF II body :D

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2024, 20:50:40 »
Yes, but still a mirrorless :-)    .....but just designed for F-mount lenses and optimization for the old mechanical F-mount lenses with some smart focus-aid (maybe like part of viewfinder magnified that could be moved around like a focus point). I guess a very nice and compact camera could be made. Maybe this would cause a price raise on old Nikkor lenses :-)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2024, 07:13:29 »
Lloyd Chambers recently blogged that the world needs a D850E.  Mirrorless guts but with a flange-focal distance and mount for Nikon F lenses.  I'd be tempted, but not holding my breath, as they say. https://diglloyd.com/blog/2024/20240512_1000-NikonD850E-evolution.html
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2024, 07:28:35 »
the new gen Z or Sline lense is more or less lack of good design and quality feeling when you compare with old AUTO or AI lineup

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2024, 12:07:42 »
Optically most ofthem are far superior to the old lenses ..... good looks are not an overriding importance in the end.

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2024, 14:14:53 »
Optically most ofthem are far superior to the old lenses ..... good looks are not an overriding importance in the end.

optically yes, due to new advanced optial design, new process of manfufacturing the glass,coating, materials...

but from the industral design, old AUTO and AI are better

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2024, 16:40:16 »
It all boils down to what one should use the lenses for ...