Author Topic: Incredible Deals On Old Nikkor Lenses!  (Read 5042 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Incredible Deals On Old Nikkor Lenses!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2024, 23:10:18 »
There is probably an element of "Lomography" in using the old Nikkors.
It is much easier to just use a Z-lens and I will do that most of the time.
I am still impressed how nice some of the old Nikkors renders. A bit lower contrast bot still "sharp enough". Colors maybe not as saturated.
It requires both lenses (F-lens against Z-lens) to really see the difference in rendering.
I was not able to find any CA from GN-Nikkor. I wonder if camera and/or NX-studio can correct it without knowing the lens.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2024, 06:54:13 »
I would settle for an FTZ adapter with an aperture follower ring and the appropriate firmware in the adapter and camera body to support legacy optics. 
And screwdriver AF would be "icing on the cake" - as one of the Sony adapters already has.

But then, I am just dreaming!  ;)

Some how I don't think that we will ever see such an adapter, or a D850 or a DF II. 
Moreover, none of the so-called Nikon Ambassadors are likely to be interested in such legacy support products and we on sites such as this one have no voice in respect of what Nikon develops.

Lloyd Chambers recently blogged that the world needs a D850E.  Mirrorless guts but with a flange-focal distance and mount for Nikon F lenses.  I'd be tempted, but not holding my breath, as they say. https://diglloyd.com/blog/2024/20240512_1000-NikonD850E-evolution.html
Hugh Gunn

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2024, 08:35:22 »
one point I keep in mind for a while

the Z/S line lens maybe the most restrict lense because of it's short flange distance, it can not adapt to any other camera body.

meanwhile, Z camera body is most flexible camera due to shortest flange distance

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2024, 14:04:28 »
the weakness of  year1970-2000 old Nikkor lense is the CA and focus speed

never thinking about the sharpness, resolution, color are not good enough, the color you can adjust in software :) WB from camera is more enssential factor

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2024, 14:07:02 »
the upper left corner of the picture

this is from D850 + nikkor 135/3.5 Ai-S aperture wide open

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2024, 14:19:25 »
color from lightroom ;D

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2024, 14:23:48 »
same lense

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2024, 01:00:25 »
the upper left corner of the picture

this is from D850 + nikkor 135/3.5 Ai-S aperture wide open
I ran some tests on my AI 135/3.5 recently and got the same results. The AI-S 135/2.8 is similar but the colour fringing is reddish instead of violet. Sharpness is pretty good though.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2024, 01:03:35 »
I would settle for an FTZ adapter with an aperture follower ring and the appropriate firmware in the adapter and camera body to support legacy optics.
Given all the third party Z adapters which support other lens mounts with AF and exif data, I am surprised none of them have developed an AI FTZ adapter. I'm sure there would be a good market for one.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2024, 06:00:32 »
I ran some tests on my AI 135/3.5 recently and got the same results. The AI-S 135/2.8 is similar but the colour fringing is reddish instead of violet. Sharpness is pretty good though.
I found, with my 135/3.5 Ai, that stopping down about 1/2 stop substantially reduces that CA/color flare effect around bright edges.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2024, 08:05:39 »
I will suggest giving the Nikkor-Q 200/4 a try. I tried it once (on DX-body) and to my eye it is better than its reputation with very nice blurred background at f/4:

https://imaging.nikon.com/imaging/information/story/0048/

Also I am sure there are incredible deals on this lens. Try to get the latest version (Q-C if possible).
The build quality is nice also. I think at f/4 the background blur would be similar to the 135mm at F/2.8.

I think it has less CA than the Nikkor-Q 135mm.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2024, 08:17:52 »
But generally I find using a DX body with vintage lenses is the way to go. Lenses appears to be much more "perfect" as you "cut" the edge performance. Often where to see the worst CA of vintage lenses.
Look forward to the rumored Z90. Hope it is more than a rumor.

bressong

• NG Member
  • a nikon user
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2024, 09:17:15 »
But generally I find using a DX body with vintage lenses is the way to go. Lenses appears to be much more "perfect" as you "cut" the edge performance. Often where to see the worst CA of vintage lenses.
Look forward to the rumored Z90. Hope it is more than a rumor.

corner is ok, not really matter, the FX gives better rendering  ;D
wating a light FX body, E or F, Z mount
the ZF is too heavy although looks nice

Gil Aegerter

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2024, 07:27:55 »
Soon after I got my first DSLR, a D50 in 2006, I got a hankering for some new lenses. I had several old film lenses, including a Nikkor 20mm f4 K, Nikkor-S 35mm f2.8 and Nikkor 85mm f1.8 K -- but only the 20mm would fit on the D50, and for a long time, that was my widest lens. Then I answered an ad for some Nikon film gear, and for $120 I came away with a Nikon F with Photomic and plain prisms, a 135mm f3.5 AI, Micro Nikkor 55mm 2.8 AIS and 50mm f1.2 AI. I sold the Nikon F body and its prisms for twice as much as I had paid, and just sold the 50mm after years of use -- great lens. I still have the 135mm and 55mm and won't ever give them up.

Since then, I've gotten other Nikkors for "free" -- if you don't count the time spent wheeling and dealing.

remlap

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear'23
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2024, 11:17:32 »
Kenko makes a 52-37mm step-down ring.  This and a 37mm filter with its glass removed should do the job.  Or, Canon ES-52 originally dedicated to its EF 40mm/f2.8 pancake lens should come handy.

Food for thoughts.   :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Has anyone tried it with an ES-52, I have an AI converted 45mm GN Nikkor-C coming over from America and to buy the hood it would nearly cost the price I paid for the lens, while an ES-52 clone is pennies.

I could buy another lens or two the prices people are charging for this hood.