Author Topic: Wedding photography NEF or JPEG etc.?  (Read 1777 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Wedding photography NEF or JPEG etc.?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2024, 06:26:56 »
When I worked in a film lab, I learned from the wedding photographers that the three most important pictures from a wedding are:
1. Bride and groom
2. Bride and groom with the bride's parents
3. Bride and groom with the groom's parents.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2024, 08:06:01 »
In this case there is only one parent left.

I need to get used to the SB-910 flash.
It has a TTL-BL mode. Assume that is a nice setting for outdoor fill-in flash.
I should probably have the flash head pointing direct at the persons?

The diffuser that can be attached is not very high so not much light will get through the side of it if head is angled 45 degrees.

Bernard Delley

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 09:55:52 »
Very nice group image.

Body will be Z50 which has only space for one card.
I have always used SanDisk cards and never had a failure. I will keep using them until at see a problem.
I once used a Duracell branded card. I never do that again :-)    .....that brand is on my "blacklist".

I will probably use one card for the outdoor wedding pair images which is my main task and then put this card away and use other cards for the other images.
I have purchased 2 x 3rd party batteries for the Z50. Cellonic brand (designed in Germany :-) ). Those are 1180 mAH. Almost same as Nikon EL25 (1120 mAH). So 4 batteries should do it (2 x Nikon, 2 x Cellonic).

I also just received the funny small 12-28mm VR DX zoom. Made for video I think but reviews found it very usable for still images also. A quite cheap zoom. I found a new one for a good price. Just used it and seems to be a very nice lens. Ready for use without need for turn the zoom ring first to "unlock". It is a PD-type zoom. Also got another SB-910 where zoom head works as it should. The other one "Kenneth" was able to fix the head at 24mm and everything works. I think if you use the flash with diffuser it it fine that it is set to 24mm (widest).
I was in doubt if I should invest in more DX-lenses but I like the DX format and think I will get the next DX body offering from Nikon. For me 12mm (18mm FX) is fine. I am not a wide angle "freak".
I also got 36 x AA Panasonic Eneloop and a charger that can take 16 at a time.

For the weeding pair portraits I currently have those lenses in my mind:
Z 50-250/4.5-6.3 VR
Z 50/1.8
Z 40/2
Z 24-70/4 S

The 50-250 is pretty good and has VR and very light weight. But not a "pro" lens.
The 50/1.8 and 24-70 is more "pro" like. the 40/2 very portable and fine lens also.
But for wide open with shallow DOF I prefer the 50/1.8 as it is sharper wide open.

Will see how much I like to carry. I am a but tempted with the 50-250 which is also very nice for inside the church.

Too much equipment can be a hindrance and risks you busy with the contents of your bag. Usually, I take two cameras and perhaps a third lens.

For the event below, I just took the Z7ii with the Z 24-120 f/4 , a 1kg tripod (and the SB-700 flash not used), a 32 GB XQD card (overflow card SD 32 GB not used). The main challenge was to get the big group focused, every head in line of sight, sunglasses off. - It was a partial success... Another photographer and I  took the same scene. I did ~30 interval shots 1s . He did self-timer with multiple exposures .

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2024, 20:40:25 »
Also a nice image.

If I should travel very light I could just put on the 16-50 VR kit zoom.
Set to 50 (75mm equivalent) it could make nice images of the pair. It is a really nice lens.
If 50-250 is used it should be for using it at around 80-100mm for the wedding pair for better background isolation.
The 50/1.8 and 24-70/4 zoom are better lenses but I wonder if the lack of VR cases the the final result will be better using a VR lens.
It is not the plan to bring a tripod.

Bernard Delley

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 23:13:26 »
Also a nice image.

If I should travel very light I could just put on the 16-50 VR kit zoom.
Set to 50 (75mm equivalent) it could make nice images of the pair. It is a really nice lens.
If 50-250 is used it should be for using it at around 80-100mm for the wedding pair for better background isolation.
The 50/1.8 and 24-70/4 zoom are better lenses but I wonder if the lack of VR cases the the final result will be better using a VR lens.
It is not the plan to bring a tripod.
I have often the impression that weddings deteriorate to a photo shooting event - with a professional photographer taking fully dressed images of the couple taken before the actual wedding.
I believe understanding, that you are guest with second duty as amateur photog for this wedding. In this case the 16-50 DX (24-70 FX equivalent) may well be good for all situations. It is good to have a bit wide reserve with 16 for big group images - but, try to avoid that wide, if you can.
The tripod is a must, if you are to be shown with everybody in the group image. Improvising is too limiting or tedious for that.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2024, 08:38:43 »
When I worked in a film lab, I learned from the wedding photographers that the three most important pictures from a wedding are:
1. Bride and groom
2. Bride and groom with the bride's parents
3. Bride and groom with the groom's parents.

very true!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2024, 08:44:09 »
Too much equipment can be a hindrance and risks you busy with the contents of your bag. Usually, I take two cameras and perhaps a third lens.

For the event below, I just took the Z7ii with the Z 24-120 f/4 , a 1kg tripod (and the SB-700 flash not used), a 32 GB XQD card (overflow card SD 32 GB not used). The main challenge was to get the big group focused, every head in line of sight, sunglasses off. - It was a partial success... Another photographer and I  took the same scene. I did ~30 interval shots 1s . He did self-timer with multiple exposures .

Very good. Depending on my clients budget I shot with two bodies and two primes alone 85 on FX, 20 on DX.

If there was more money I brought my own light plus a second photographer with a third camera and a zoom.

Scouting is important. You should anticipate where you will take the shots and where the light will come from at the planned time and what happens when in rains

PS: unedited frame with an example of how my own light will change the scene on an otherwise dark spot with the most important scene in a Dokostyle: exchange of rings.

PPS: very important: Speak to the priest on what you are allowed and what not. You do not want the priest as your enemy

PPPS: I will look in the archives to find the edited shot (13 years ago)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2024, 08:54:15 »
The wedding pair promised that it will not rain that day.

It will be a good idea to take a look at the place they pointed out they want the "pair-images" to be taken.
A green area with a very small lake (Americans will probably just call it a "waterhole").
Will see how I can organize things in my camerabag.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2024, 09:20:48 »
The wedding pair promised that it will not rain that day.

It will be a good idea to take a look at the place they pointed out they want the "pair-images" to be taken.
A green area with a very small lake (Americans will probably just call it a "waterhole").
Will see how I can organize things in my camerabag.

I have to dig through the photos again. One important thing I learned in the job: my own choice of poictures was competely different from the couples choice. It would have been a good idea to make a preselection based on technical quality (which I did not) and then let the customers choose. In the end I delivered 20 big prints. 10 from their choice. 10 from my choice, plus a backupdrive with the originals for later revision...
The attached picture would not have passed my "technical culling". It was a bit daring to shot the scene with 50mm f/2.0 and 1/125 s ... the focus point is on the priest's face

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2024, 11:01:34 »
Very nice!
I think the Z 50-250 would be good to have in church for long distance shooting.
I am quite sure many will take photographs.
For the wedding pair shooting I am the only photographer. So this will be the most important for me.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2024, 15:08:29 »
Very nice!
I think the Z 50-250 would be good to have in church for long distance shooting.
I am quite sure many will take photographs.
For the wedding pair shooting I am the only photographer. So this will be the most important for me.

Good luck

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2024, 18:56:20 »
I have looked at various pair-images.
I will try to make a mix of where the wedding pair looks at the camera and some where they looks at each other.
Then there can be a mix of how the pair is "linked together". If they stand besides each other, hold hand, hold arms etc.....
It is good there are a lot of images to look at online so I can take some notes. Maybe print some so I can show them as an example.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2024, 19:27:52 »
Just a suggestion but it might be a good idea to take a couple of friends to the chosen spot and do a Practice Run?
You could try out different lenses and settings so that you know exactly what works when the wedding day arrives.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2024, 21:58:17 »
Yes, a very good idea.
I should be able to estimate the time of day and a couple of days before I should know a little bit about the weather (rain, overcase, sun etc.).

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2024, 10:16:08 »
a little bit of inspiration (from the mobile studio that we built into the banquet room)