Author Topic: Do You Prefer Rendering Of "Vintage" Nikon Cameras To "Modern" Nikon Cameras?  (Read 5365 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
The second is also sharper, so that could be the Zf.  First one looks like the D1x

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Yes, 2nd has more resolution and less artifacts so must be Zf :-)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
D1x first, because of the jagged lines on the roof rails?

Ditto!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures

For many scenes, the difference isn't that great.

I'm concerned
For the last 5 months, nearly all the photos Birna has taken in Noway have contained snow.
Suddenly these don't.

Bright sunshine in each image seems suspicious!
 :P

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Yes, you are correct, Bruno. However, if such delibate attempt to disclose the nature of sensor had been avoided, telling the two cameras apart -- based on the sensor outcome - had been more difficult. Given they are separated by two decades of techology development, that is some food for thought.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Colin, we had the last snowfall three days ago .... however, any snow will very quickly disappear as night temperatures have climbed above the freezing point.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
I agree Birna, I had to look for a clue. Without the question, I would probably not have noticed the difference.
BTW, this thread, particularly the comments about the colors, made me look for a D1x, which I just found at 50€. I’m eagerly waiting to use it.
Bruno Schröder

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
You'll need a charger and working batteries as well :) I gave up finding my old MH-16 charger, only found a car charger, on first search. So purchased a MH-15 and 2*Li-Ion battery packs for a total of (equivalent) 120 Euro. I already had the camera, plus the various other D1/D2 versions. For the D2H/X I have chargers and batteries, just remains to test the packs are in working order. Hopes are not very high and if they fail to charge properly, I let my revival of the vintage Nikons end with the D1X.

It's interesting to put modern AFS/G lenses on the D1X and learn they work -- now, that is backwards compatibility !!

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
The body comes with a  charger which used to work till the battery died and I found another original charger and 3 batteries, one original declared dead by the seller but with two replacements working. Testing scheduled for next week, I’m visiting a friend in Provence this week.
Bruno Schröder