Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27641 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Re: So, the ZF ...
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2023, 02:20:13 »
Getting a grip on the ZF …

The Nikon ZF-GR1 is nice, and provides an almost adequate depth of grip. But in conjunction with the SpiderPro hand strap v2 they are an ideal combination. Comfortable, secure, and easy access to the top controls.

The v1 spiderpro grip was not ideal with the ZF ‘top’ shutter button, and neither is the Peak Design.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2023, 04:31:04 »
Nice solution Richard - can you please show us the Zf with the Nikon grip only
Daniel Diggelmann

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2023, 11:52:16 »
local Saturday morning market - ZF & 35mm
Daniel Diggelmann

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2023, 13:24:38 »
I'll pick up my own Zf on Monday :) perhaps I like it too??

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2023, 14:56:55 »
I'm certain Birna - it's a joy to use  :)
Daniel Diggelmann

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: November 04, 2023, 16:13:43 »
I'm certain Birna - it's a joy to use  :)

That is what my initial thoughts about the Zf were. I do like the Z9, but sometimes it is simply too heavy since my HRT (hormone replacement treatment) has made me less strong (physically).

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #216 on: November 04, 2023, 21:13:34 »
Nice solution Richard - can you please show us the Zf with the Nikon grip only

Sorry for the delay - I’ll do that later today.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2023, 00:15:24 »
The Nikon grip. I have no complaints, other than wishing the grip was twice as deep! The thumb grip nodule on the back is subtle, but helpful.

(The small bracket on the camera is for the SpiderPro hand grip.)

The top of the grip does not interfere with the use of the front dial - something I saw complained about with the Smallrig grip.

My fingers naturally fall far away from the front function button - something I saw complained about when using the ZF with no grip.

There are MANY online services in Japan now which enable overseas buyers to purchase ‘Japan only’ products. It might be worth looking into them. Not sure if Nikon Japan ‘delivers’ to the Japan based agents for these companies, but the grip is available from multiple shops here. There are even ‘used’ ones on Mercari Japan - for which there are many solutions for overseas buyers.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2023, 06:49:42 »
Many thanks Richard,

It seems better shaped than the Small Rig one and it also optically better matches the leatherette.
I hope this grip isn't only available in Japan. Maybe B&H Photo will take it on stock.
Daniel Diggelmann

Michael Hopferwieser

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2023, 19:51:42 »
Dear Nikon Gear,

I have always been a fan of small, handy camera lens combinations. The fascination of being able to carry the second lens in my pocket was great. I'm often in the mountains, small and handy is a joy. My favorite combination is F3 (SW) or Df and Nikkor 50mm 1.2 and 24mm 2.0.

F Lenses with FTZ adapters appear to me on Zf? Hmmm.

Maybe Nikon has come up with an interesting alternative with Zf mirrorless. The combination with small rangefinder lenses?

@ Dr Lens Erik Lund: In former Diskussion you mentioned that M Summilux lenses have Problems with other digital bodies especially wider lenses. Last week a Leica Trader told me that this problems with the newest generation summilux with other systems are solved. Do you have the same opinion especially with Summilux M 50mm 1.4 and 21mm 1.4 (Leica) on Nikon Zf?

@ Birna The combination with Nikkor RF 50 mm 1.4 and 35 mm 1.8 also seems very interesting to me. Or are there other options? What would you say to that?

In expecting an exciting discussion.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Cheers Michael

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2023, 19:56:24 »
Another alternative is Voigtländer lenses for Z. Even though most are manual focus, they have the electronics to integrate perfectly with their Z host(s). Vilrox is another option, although most offerings are DX, but they do AF.

I certainly will experiment with lenses for the Zf.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #221 on: November 05, 2023, 20:22:58 »
I’m keen to learn about how Dandelion chipped lenses do, particularly non ai-s.

My earlier attempts to chip lenses failed dismally, as they fell off or got crushed :-( But I’d be willing to try again if the gains are worth it.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #222 on: November 05, 2023, 20:29:52 »

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: November 05, 2023, 20:36:34 »
I have just a few Dandelion-chipped lenses, mostly because I preferred my own CPU approach, and also due to the fragile nature of the Dandelions.

Non-AI and AI lenses will potentially be troublesome given their non-linear aperture mechanism. However, the severity of this varies between lenses, and using M mode instead of A (or S(/P) can help as well.

I plan on using my 24/2 and 105/2.5 Nikkors with the Zf of course, if handling on this body is acceptable. Both are CPU-enabled  and works flawlessly with my Df.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2023, 09:54:56 »
Dear Nikon Gear,

I have always been a fan of small, handy camera lens combinations. The fascination of being able to carry the second lens in my pocket was great. I'm often in the mountains, small and handy is a joy. My favorite combination is F3 (SW) or Df and Nikkor 50mm 1.2 and 24mm 2.0.

F Lenses with FTZ adapters appear to me on Zf? Hmmm.

Maybe Nikon has come up with an interesting alternative with Zf mirrorless. The combination with small rangefinder lenses?

@ Dr Lens Erik Lund: In former Diskussion you mentioned that M Summilux lenses have Problems with other digital bodies especially wider lenses. Last week a Leica Trader told me that this problems with the newest generation summilux with other systems are solved. Do you have the same opinion especially with Summilux M 50mm 1.4 and 21mm 1.4 (Leica) on Nikon Zf?

@ Birna The combination with Nikkor RF 50 mm 1.4 and 35 mm 1.8 also seems very interesting to me. Or are there other options? What would you say to that?

In expecting an exciting discussion.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Cheers Michael
I don't own a ZF unfortunately, my best guess would be that all new'is Leica M lenses are just fine on the Z series cameras
Erik Lund