Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27662 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: So, the ZF …
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2023, 10:01:15 »
Question: what do you guys stick as flash on your Z cameras? I have two SB-5000 but feel them unbalanced on say Z6ii and even more on Zf. They fit well my D850.
Is the SB-500 any good? I guess with the more sensitive sensors an SB-500 could be enough for event work.

For on-camera flash I often use the SB-700. It can act as (optical CLS) commander, master, or remote but has some limitations on how the flashes can set up compared to the SB-5000. All flashes are in TTL or Manual mode if they're being commanded by the SB-700. This might seem a logical way of using the flashes but it can be problematic to have multiple TTL groups as the flash system can be hard to control that way. Usually my remotes are in manual mode and the on-camera flash in TTL. This can make it easier to keep some sanity in the lighting setup sometimes. ;-)

Anyway, if the SB-5000 feels too large then the SB-700 can be considered. I think for sure on the Z8 with vertical grip both are OK to use, but any Z camera without vertical grip can feel unbalanced with a big flash head on the hot shoe, especially for verticals.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2023, 20:07:03 »
AR-2 release cable, apparently.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2023, 23:39:58 »
Somewhat strange, in MF mode the viewfinder focus indicator works with FTZ adapted CPU Nikkors but not with AI type non CPU Nikkors (same thing with the active AF field giving a short turn into green  when correctly focussed) when switched to focus peaking this works with adapted non CPU lenses as well - can't understand this different  behavior as anything else than on purpose rather than a technical necessity. This dragged my attention with the Zf but isn't just a Zf issue but also valid for other Z-bodies (like Z6, Z9).
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2023, 00:32:50 »
AR-2 is a 'soft release' button -- not a cable release.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2023, 02:27:45 »
AR-2 is a 'soft release' button -- not a cable release.

Ah!

AR-ii vs AR-11 :-(
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2023, 06:10:44 »
Somewhat strange, in MF mode the viewfinder focus indicator works with FTZ adapted CPU Nikkors but not with AI type non CPU Nikkors (same thing with the active AF field giving a short turn into green  when correctly focussed) when switched to focus peaking this works with adapted non CPU lenses as well - can't understand this different  behavior as anything else than on purpose rather than a technical necessity. This dragged my attention with the Zf but isn't just a Zf issue but also valid for other Z-bodies (like Z6, Z9).

Yes Wolfgang I have discovered this with my Z6ii and adapting manual lenses like an AIs 24mm Nikkor or Leica M mount lens.
I can't think of why this couldn't be changed in software.
Daniel Diggelmann

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #171 on: October 19, 2023, 06:20:27 »
eh? AR-2 is a cable release :o :o :o

ive fixed a "bug". if you are in starlight view, you wont get the picture profile preview on your screen. stupid UX ::)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2023, 08:57:52 »
Sorry, AR-11 it is.  But soft release button it is, anyway. You know, those handy gadgets that all of a sudden disappear from your gear :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-on-review/things-we-love-nikon-ar-11-soft-shutter-release

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2023, 10:24:31 »
Then we just need an external power source for the USB-C ..... Not sure the gain -- if any -- is worth it.

Yes and No...

If one has a car with a USB-C charging port and you are charging on the go it's a gain. If one is charging on your desk it means more wires on the desk from a computer's USB ports or a power block in a power strip. I hope Nikon continues to sell the mains powered chargers.

---

I'm not a great fan of USB-C ports and cables. I have an Android phone with a USB-C that only accepts charging cables when inserted one way. When a USB-C cable is plugged in if charging doesn't start then I turn the cable over and charging always starts. This holds for multiple cables, three of four, so the defect is in the phone. The phone is not a beater. Thought the phone is older it has been well cared for. The USB-C port is simply worn out.

Off the topic some: I believe the Apple Lighting Port is more robust.

---

If one is looking for a small, portable charger I've had success with a Anker 120W USB-C Charger model 737 GaNPrime. It will charge a 16" MacBook Pro 2021 and my Android phone at the same time. It has two USB-C ports and one USB-A port. It could charge a tablet (all at the same time) if I owned a tablet. I don't work for Anker. I'm a satisfied customer of several if their products.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2023, 11:59:59 »
I'm not a great fan of USB-C ports and cables. I have an Android phone with a USB-C that only accepts charging cables when inserted one way. When a USB-C cable is plugged in if charging doesn't start then I turn the cable over and charging always starts. This holds for multiple cables, three of four, so the defect is in the phone. The phone is not a beater. Thought the phone is older it has been well cared for. The USB-C port is simply worn out.

I haven't yet damaged an USB-C port but that's probably because I rarely use it. Most of the USB ports on my computers are USB-A, and USB-C ports are still the exception rather than the norm.  However, over time this may be changing.

I think charging batteries in large cameras via the camera is not a good idea because frequent use of the port will eventually damage it and over time the camera becomes unserviceable before the end of its otherwise useful life. I prefer taking out the battery and charging it separately because then if I drop something it'll only be the charger and battery, not the (expensive) camera.

I think the EU is simply assuming that all portable devices are short-lived and disposable and somehow the chargers have become the source of environmental damage - which is curious, as I'd think the short life of the phones and other devices would be more of a problem. With dedicated cameras, the expected lifetime of the camera is much longer than that of the USB-C connector and so while it can be convenient for some situations, the separate battery chargers should continue to be available. I hope that the chargers don't become so rare that Nikon stops manufacturing them. That would probably mean a camera's lifetime is reduced, and there may be more pollution in the end.

Off the topic some: I believe the Apple Lighting Port is more robust.

Be that as it may, it's going to be history.

I've found Apples lighting charging cables to be quite short-lived and I periodically have to buy new cables. Hopefully the USB-C cables for future iPhones will be more rugged.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2023, 13:33:30 »
Agree - separate chargers are still very desirable for your stated reasons.

I haven't yet damaged an USB-C port but that's probably because I rarely use it. Most of the USB ports on my computers are USB-A, and USB-C ports are still the exception rather than the norm.  However, over time this may be changing.

I think charging batteries in large cameras via the camera is not a good idea because frequent use of the port will eventually damage it and over time the camera becomes unserviceable before the end of its otherwise useful life. I prefer taking out the battery and charging it separately because then if I drop something it'll only be the charger and battery, not the (expensive) camera.

I think the EU is simply assuming that all portable devices are short-lived and disposable and somehow the chargers have become the source of environmental damage - which is curious, as I'd think the short life of the phones and other devices would be more of a problem. With dedicated cameras, the expected lifetime of the camera is much longer than that of the USB-C connector and so while it can be convenient for some situations, the separate battery chargers should continue to be available. I hope that the chargers don't become so rare that Nikon stops manufacturing them. That would probably mean a camera's lifetime is reduced, and there may be more pollution in the end.

Be that as it may, it's going to be history.

I've found Apples lighting charging cables to be quite short-lived and I periodically have to buy new cables. Hopefully the USB-C cables for future iPhones will be more rugged.
Hugh Gunn

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2023, 18:17:37 »
Sorry, AR-11 it is.  But soft release button it is, anyway. You know, those handy gadgets that all of a sudden disappear from your gear :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-on-review/things-we-love-nikon-ar-11-soft-shutter-release

I had read That as AR-II in the chart - as latin number. So a soft shutter release like the AR-1 for Leica-Glocke which was present in the Nikon F and F2 bodies and Nikkormat cameras such as my FTN (and i remember that I liked this part very mucH9, the AR2 then was the mechanical cable release and the AR3 the one ot use for FM2, FE2, FA etc.

The AR-3 works with the Df but (just tested) it does NOT fit to the Zf (well you can screw it in but it does NOT release because the wire is too thick), had similar experience with another old cable release of this sort. seeing the retro design of the shutter button and the screw in mount there i was quite sure that it is made following the same classic standards - just to find out now that it is NOT. I see no reasonable justification for that - despite just the wish to sell new gadgets and there ist not even a new type of mechanical cable release available.
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2023, 19:46:26 »
Perhaps you can treat the AR-3 with a Dremel to make the wire slimmer?

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2023, 21:12:04 »
Perhaps you can treat the AR-3 with a Dremel to make the wire slimmer?
Might be possible, as it was my guess that this is the problem I should order An AR-11 first to have a comparison whats needed.
And I should fnally buy a Dremel tool (after years of planning to do so) ;-)
Wolfgang Rehm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2023, 21:38:39 »
Might be possible, as it was my guess that this is the problem I should order An AR-11 first to have a comparison whats needed.
And I should fnally buy a Dremel tool (after years of planning to do so) ;-)

Diamonds are a girl's best friend -- Dremel, K-rings, and epoxy glue, are a photographer's best friends :)