Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27643 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: So, the ZF …
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2023, 16:14:11 »
Are you asking how to activate it or which settings are preferred?

I'll answer my initial impression. You can select from the photo shooting menu the MF subject detection area (all, wide (L), wide (S), or off). Subject type is selected in a separate setting in the menu. I have set REC button to adjust AF area mode but it won't affect the MF area mode. So the photo shooting menu may be the only way to access this feature (so far). It can also be put My Menu but not i menu.

The MF subject detection box appears when turning the lens switch to M mode. Manual override in A mode won't activate the MF subject detection area selected. I will have to try this with a manual focus lens on a portrait subject. The camera will change the box color when in focus and show the smaller found subject with another box (ie. eye). There is also arrow indicators to show which way to turn the manual focus ring, but no rangefinder.

it wont work for me when i am using an adapted manual lens :o :o :o

additionally, i noticed that the sensor has a lot of play! shake the camera and you can even hear it rattle!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2023, 16:31:48 »
Does it rattle also with power on?

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2023, 16:46:37 »
Does it rattle also with power on?
no!  ::)

i just checked and sony does the same :o :o :o

might just be normal

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2023, 16:56:08 »

Rats!

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2023, 17:48:30 »
Daniel, talking of leg pulling, I see that you suffer from both model aeroplanism and model engineeringism.  These afflictions can never be cured you know - not even by getting a new Zf!  ;D

Three nice engines, BTW.
Hugh you're right - I like precise mechanics - also watches are interesting but I contend with window shopping
.. the most constant hobby has been photography
Daniel Diggelmann

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2023, 20:58:47 »
okay, i got the manual focus subject detection to work!!! you are right, i do have to dig into the menu, the i button does not work! ive added them into my shortcut :o :o :o

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2023, 21:28:43 »
The Zf forces us to use the two menus more than ever as there is a very reduced set of controls (the Df had way more including AF lever and mode butten, a lever for the exposure measuring method, flash control, bracketing, and last but not least a switch between single and  continuous shoooting - not to forget the usual custom settings bank and custom shooting banks- four each. (The Zf dials are better though than those of the Df expecially when it comes to the infamous front wheel). I will be forced to use the info menu which i am usually ignoring more or less. Whats getting on my nerves in general with these two menus is the inconsistency what Nikon enables to be present in each of them and even more when some of the settings are available in the info-menu only and not in general (where i could place it in "my menu"). Both of the cameras enable dialling the aperture only in 1/3 stops not in full stops (the Z6 has a similar problem but adding at leat 1/2 stop opion) less of the problem with the Df as it lets you dial aperture with aperture ring (not possible with CPU-lenses on the Zf).
Wolfgang Rehm

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2023, 22:07:38 »
So my first day with the Zf comes to an end but I just can't put it back to the cupboard. It certainly has a charm that my Z6ii doesn't have...
I used to shoot Fuji in parallel to Nikon but gave up on them. The Zf is a lovely camera. I believe this will be a top street and reporting camera with all the technology supporting this genre.
Superb low light AF and VR are stunning.

One improvement I can suggest is that the built-in grip (not small rig) extends too far up and makes turning the front wheel a bit hard. Just blending it in a bit lower would help.
Comparing to my D850 and Z6ii the D850 has the best (rubberized) command wheels, then the Z6ii and last the Zf. I guess ergonomy took a backseat in order to achieve a given design.
Actually I was thinking if a metal touch surface which is replacing both command wheels could be a future development.
That should work on all cameras and would better blend into the body and not let any sand or moisture in.

But I also know that one can adapt to these small hurdles over time.
Daniel Diggelmann

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2023, 22:31:27 »

additionally, i noticed that the sensor has a lot of play! shake the camera and you can even hear it rattle!

The Zf has a new implementation of in-camera VR which doesn't have the lock feature which previous Nikon implementations had. So the motors are the only thing keeping the sensor still. When the camera is off, the sensor can move about. I believe the reason they did this was because of the small size of the camera.

I like the sensor lock actually as it gives me confidence the sensor is exactly centered to the same place every time (I hope) and won't move by external forces applied to the camera.

Some videographers say that in cameras that have non-locking IBIS the sensor can move a little when the camera is moved during takes and they claim the sensor's residual responses to camera movement affects the image somehow in a way that they don't like. However, I am not sure if this is a real or imagined effect.

Anyway the Zf is as it is, no VR lock in the body.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2023, 22:43:43 »
I also noticed the sensor rattling when turning the camera. As I use to cycle with cameras in my backpack I hope this won't shorten the Zf life.  ::)
Daniel Diggelmann

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2023, 23:23:28 »

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2023, 05:02:47 »
This is brilliant Richard and your passion can really be felt - many thanks. Working in the aerospace industry I share some of your operational concerns and we engineers tend to get wound up  ;D

All in all I find it a joy to use and hope the camera is equally long lasting as the other Nikon Z & F cameras.

This summer I bought a second hand Z5 to go camping as I didn't want to bring an expensive camera. And guess what, this is the first camera which I dropped to the floor with a Voigtländer M mount lens adapted. It fell on the metal lens hood which got seriously bent. Neither lens nor camera show any signs of the impact and all works properly.  I would have really not expected such robustness and I always take really good care of my cameras.

Looking over the fence on how others do retro helps to see why this is so challenging - see the additional A position on the ISO dial and also grip shape.
Daniel Diggelmann

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2023, 05:46:11 »
that A implementation is both a blessing and a curse :o :o :o

still, i am hopeful for a real Df2 ::) with mirror, pentaprism and all 8)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2023, 05:46:43 »
watch the face detection in action on my review guys :o :o :o

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2023, 09:49:17 »
My Zf was delivered on Thursday - even included an embargo note to state that it was not for sale until after 12th Oct.

I've taken several pictures and set tone colour to HLG. BUT - no way of downloading the necessary CODEC01 as you need to give serial number of camera and they only allow Z8 and Z9...

Have to be patient and have reset tone colour away from HDR in the meantime