Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27642 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: So, the ZF …
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2023, 22:37:29 »
Still enjoy the look and feel of the camera. Yes it feels heavy like a metal body and thats what a kind of remake of an FM2 is to be expected- besides the "classical" dials. On the downside there is limited function buttons (so more use of the menus) and limited connectivity (attributes which won't change with coming firmware update) . Due to its higher "complementarity" (less pixes on the sensor but pixel-shift) I found it more useful to add to the Z9 than a Z8. (I see still uses for the Df by the way).

As there is always something to critisize: I just found out that the menu for the Non-CPU lenses is built the way we became used to throughout the years- unfortunately it is not on the level of Z9s 4.01 Firmware update. but here we can hopefully look forward to future updates.
Wolfgang Rehm

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2023, 23:38:10 »
Still enjoy the look and feel of the camera. Yes it feels heavy like a metal body and thats what a kind of remake of an FM2 is to be expected- besides the "classical" dials.

The FM2 isn't/wasn't that heavy, especially compared to the EL2 of the previous generation that weights nearly 800g and has much more the dimensions of the Zf.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2023, 00:08:58 »
The FM2 isn't/wasn't that heavy, especially compared to the EL2 of the previous generation that weights nearly 800g and has much more the dimensions of the Zf.
Yes correct, the FM2 hat 540g the Zf is not only heavier (710g) but - as said - also larger. (The FM2 followed the FM which was the first smaller camera in the line, which actually followed the Nikkormat FT3 (not The EL2 leading to the FE(2)- nitpicking i know. Did not do a size comparison of the Zf with these earlier models so far. Nikon said they got the design inspiration for the Zf following the FM2 (they could have mentioned the FM3a instead).
Wolfgang Rehm

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2023, 01:21:08 »
how do you guys set the manual focus subject detection :o :o :o

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2023, 02:21:18 »
I also ordered the Nikon grip, but have to wait until the 27th for it to ship :-(

The latter part of this video shows the grip in use.

https://youtu.be/eQofjHMaAPI?si=rEF0kZNzsPfme274

It’s EXPENSIVE!, but maybe a better match than the Smallrig one.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2023, 07:56:12 »
Yes correct, the FM2 hat 540g the Zf is not only heavier (710g) but - as said - also larger. (The FM2 followed the FM which was the first smaller camera in the line, which actually followed the Nikkormat FT3 (not The EL2 leading to the FE(2)- nitpicking i know. Did not do a size comparison of the Zf with these earlier models so far. Nikon said they got the design inspiration for the Zf following the FM2 (they could have mentioned the FM3a instead).

The Zf seems to have taken inspiration from several models so Nikon probably mention FM2 because that model somehow is the most often mentioned in customer requests. But the small grip seems to be inspired by the F3, the PASM switch by the FA and maybe also the F4, there was no clearly similar exposure compensation dial on any of the old Nikons but maybe the F4 again. There is no one camera of the past which is clearly the one source of the "traditional" parts of the camera or even the design of the exterior. The FM2 has no automatic exposure, no PASM, no exposure compensation, and no grip, the camera is flat around the part where the right hand grips it so even purely from the shape point of view it is not a match. The viewfinder ocular area is similar to other Z FX cameras and not a manual focus SLR.

The FM2's mythical status I could never understand. I couldn't use it because of the viewfinder design there was no way I could see the outer areas of the image with glasses on. With the Zf there is no such problem. Again, not so much similarity to the FM2 (fortunately). F3 HP was a revelation with its viewfinder. Zf weight is similar to that as well.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2023, 07:58:51 »
how do you guys set the manual focus subject detection :o :o :o

Are you asking how to activate it or which settings are preferred?

I'll answer my initial impression. You can select from the photo shooting menu the MF subject detection area (all, wide (L), wide (S), or off). Subject type is selected in a separate setting in the menu. I have set REC button to adjust AF area mode but it won't affect the MF area mode. So the photo shooting menu may be the only way to access this feature (so far). It can also be put My Menu but not i menu.

The MF subject detection box appears when turning the lens switch to M mode. Manual override in A mode won't activate the MF subject detection area selected. I will have to try this with a manual focus lens on a portrait subject. The camera will change the box color when in focus and show the smaller found subject with another box (ie. eye). There is also arrow indicators to show which way to turn the manual focus ring, but no rangefinder.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2023, 10:13:06 »

Yes the EL2 is predecessor of FE/FE2. I mentioned it because I have one still around and can compare it to my FM2. Must replace the battery soon, that is located in the bottom of the mirror housing  :-[

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2023, 10:14:17 »
A moment with a coffee before the fun starts…
scrubby hands are happy but still scrubby  :)
Daniel Diggelmann

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2023, 10:51:31 »
[edited]

Iinitially I noticed that the in-focus indicators did not appear when using an adapted manual focus lens (FTZ-II, Milvus 50/1.4) so there was no focus confirmation. Peaking does work but in my opinion in many situations it's just not precise enough (focusing on the eye). It could also be an issue related to the use of a third party lens.

I'm wondering if native MF lenses such as the Z Noct do display manual focus assist in the form of the +o- indicators and box changing color when in focus? What about third-party manual focus Z lenses?

However, when I turned subject detection off, it started showing a regular focus box and then the color did change when the subject was in focus, and this also translated to the subject detection once I turned it back on. I'm wondering if there is some kind of a glitch in the implementation.  It could also be that I was not able to set the focus so precisely that it would change the color of the box.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2023, 12:08:45 »
I absolutely love the ability to guide the focus point with part of the touch screen - have set it to use the left thumb on the left half screen area
Daniel Diggelmann

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2023, 14:50:29 »
[edited]

Iinitially I noticed that the in-focus indicators did not appear when using an adapted manual focus lens (FTZ-II, Milvus 50/1.4) so there was no focus confirmation. Peaking does work but in my opinion in many situations it's just not precise enough (focusing on the eye). It could also be an issue related to the use of a third party lens.

Havent tried non Z lenses so far

I'm wondering if native MF lenses such as the Z Noct do display manual focus assist in the form of the +o- indicators and box changing color when in focus? What about third-party manual focus Z lenses?

I can confirm that with the Z Noct, yes it does

and...
So far I do not see too much use for subject detection in MF

BTW two subject detections categories were added with the latest Z9 update, birds and airplanes. Zf subject detection (as of firmware 1.0) contains airplanes but not the special bird category
Wolfgang Rehm

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2023, 15:56:01 »
Daniel, talking of leg pulling, I see that you suffer from both model aeroplanism and model engineeringism.  These afflictions can never be cured you know - not even by getting a new Zf!  ;D

Three nice engines, BTW.

Just pulling your leg - should get my scrubby hands on one tomorrow...
Hugh Gunn

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2023, 15:56:40 »
Do the indicators appear when using a lens without a chip?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2023, 16:10:24 »
Interesting also to hear about the hires modes how it works and if tripod mount is needed.