Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27657 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: So, the ZF …
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2023, 09:41:30 »
Placed an order at my dealer as well. The Zf promises to be significantly different than what we had so far (more so than the Z8 compared to the Z9). Other than the Df it does not have an AF-ON button. I hope that the pretty much useless AF-L/AE-l button can be reprogrammed to serve in this function, otherwise I'd better cancel it.
Yes the button can be programmed ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2023, 09:42:50 »
here, Nikon...let me help you fix that. :o :o :o

It's a really good retro looking camera IMHO - THX for the large image! Enjoy  8)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2023, 09:45:40 »
So, what is there to procrastinate about?? I just made an order for Z f at my local dealer.  The price without VAT is tolerable, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the Zf, it seems to tick most of your demands for functionality! Very worthy companion and I'm looking forward to your findings  ;D
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2023, 10:02:02 »
I do really like the Z fc, so pretty sure the same holds for the bigger sibling as well :) plus, I can finally sell off the Z6 which I have just lukewarm feelings about. My Z7 cameras are permanently tied up for macro work in the studio so they don't count in this regard. They work very well for their designated purpose and will never see daylight again.

In the final reckoning, getting Z f might save me the expense of adding the Z8 .... My Z9 is there anyway if I wish to use a dreadnought class of camera.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2023, 10:27:09 »
I just pre-ordered mine...
Airy Magnien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2023, 10:39:42 »
The more the merrier :)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2023, 11:16:27 »
Really gorgeous and sweet spot for me with 24mpx, 14fps, 10bit nlog internal video without the 30min limit.
I wonder about shutter lag. I haven't found information on any of the previews or release notes.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2023, 11:53:03 »

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2023, 14:54:06 »
"Inspired by the Nikon FM2 camera", as Nikon states on the European websites. Maybe that is the reason it doesn't come with a battery charger...  ;D

On a more serious note, they must have meant FE2. The front of the Zf EVF "prism" housing has the FE/FE2 shape. This in contrast to the Zfc, which has the FM/FM2 shape.

This year exactly 40 years ago, I bought a black FE2 at the moment it became available. Not sure this year about the Zf yet.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2023, 16:11:02 »
I don't mind if the Z f's prism is shaped differently, as long as I can avoid too much modification of my bespoke focusing adapter for the Rodenstock/Oude Delft lenses :) With the Z fc this would  be necessary so being lazy by nature, I use the Z 30 instead. Or the heavy Z9.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2023, 18:05:18 »
And can AutoISO also be controlled as easily? That it will require going into MENU is my fear. I never did get this work around in the fc.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2023, 19:17:20 »
Yes the button can be programmed ;)
That meets my expectations and one should expect that, but I didn't know and with other Nikon models I have also experienced some surprises in what can be programmed and what can't. Thanks for supporting my optimism ;-)
Wolfgang Rehm

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2023, 21:32:10 »
After reading the specs it could be tempting to get one.
I like the 8 stop IBIS function. I assume that is using a lens around 50mm without any VR in the lens itself.
Then the old Nikkors would be more fun to use for street photography. For that 24 MP is sufficient.
Then for macro work on tripod the hi-res mode could be interesting.
I wonder if using ISO below 100 in the extended mode if this setting gives less noise than the native ISO 100?

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2023, 22:37:38 »
No spot metering ???
Bruno Schröder

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2023, 23:09:30 »
No spot metering ???
The announcment I saw included Spot-Metering
I have seen a comparison table on Nikonrumors where this was missing but I guess that is wrong. There would be indeed something important missing.
Wolfgang Rehm