Author Topic: Z8 recall  (Read 2402 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Z8 recall
« on: July 01, 2023, 20:22:01 »
I am surprised that there has been no discussion on this.

Despite my comments in an earlier thread, I did buy a Z8 and find it an excellent, versatile camera.

I was away last week. On Thursday I took the Z8/24-70S out of my bag and found that the lens was disconnected. Having been offline for a few days, I logged into another website and learned of the recall. Checking on the Nikon UK website I found that my body was in the faulty batch, so I registered for the repair. Still waiting for a pickup date.

It is rather surprising that something so basic could go wrong (Nikon has been locking lenses to cameras for around 70 years), but at least they are dealing with this promptly (plus my Z8 will get an overall health check).
Anthony Macaulay

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Z8 recall
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 18:54:30 »
Today I bought my copy. My dealer had done the service up front ;)
I might not have affected any on Nikongear, therefore no comments ;)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 21:19:08 »
Mine is also among the potentially affected. But up to now, no problems with mounting and locking various lenses. So will wait and see before sending it in.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 09:47:45 »
Today I bought my copy. My dealer had done the service up front ;)
I might not have affected any on Nikongear, therefore no comments ;)

Excellent, enjoy this brilliant camera.
Anthony Macaulay

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 09:48:48 »
Mine is also among the potentially affected. But up to now, no problems with mounting and locking various lenses. So will wait and see before sending it in.

It could fall at any time, and an expensive lens could fall to the floor.
Anthony Macaulay

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 10:28:21 »
It could fall at any time, and an expensive lens could fall to the floor.

At least my Z lenses mount to tightly on the camera body I don't see how the lens could fall even if the locking mechanism fails. It requires some force to unmount the lens. I do not carry the lens attached to the camera in a bag, instead, I unmount the lens from the camera to prevent damage in transport. The service advisory link on nikon.fi pages doesn't work so I assume they're not keen on taking cameras in for this repair unless actually it has failed. I read that on the US pages one has to actually select "Z9" from a menu to proceed with the pickup. ;) I take it that Nikon wants to slow down the cameras coming in for this repair by having faulty web links. Once they're ready they will probably send e-mails to registered users of affected Z8's.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 11:14:31 »
At least my Z lenses mount to tightly on the camera body I don't see how the lens could fall even if the locking mechanism fails. It requires some force to unmount the lens. I do not carry the lens attached to the camera in a bag, instead, I unmount the lens from the camera to prevent damage in transport. The service advisory link on nikon.fi pages doesn't work so I assume they're not keen on taking cameras in for this repair unless actually it has failed. I read that on the US pages one has to actually select "Z9" from a menu to proceed with the pickup. ;) I take it that Nikon wants to slow down the cameras coming in for this repair by having faulty web links. Once they're ready they will probably send e-mails to registered users of affected Z8's.

Mine failed and it took several goes to remount the lens. I assumed it was my fault until I later learned about the recall. It was easy to register for the recall. The response was:

"In order to minimize your waiting time, your request has been placed in a queue to ensure that parts are available prior to the return of your camera.

When our Service Centre is ready to accept your camera, they will send you an email and will include instructions on how to return your product, no action is required until you receive the email from the Service Centre. You can continue to use the camera until it's ready to be sent."

I do not want to risk another lens disconnection, so I will use another camera until the Z8 has been returned.
Anthony Macaulay

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 22:23:31 »
I do not hope this is widespread. Hope this is only a few otherwise there may be a new recall.
https://nikonrumors.com/2023/07/17/several-nikon-z8-owners-report-separated-broken-strap-lugs.aspx/

janvaran

• NG Supporter
  • I am
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 08:45:36 »
I do not hope this is widespread. Hope this is only a few otherwise there may be a new recall.
https://nikonrumors.com/2023/07/17/several-nikon-z8-owners-report-separated-broken-strap-lugs.aspx/

I’m considering the Z8 as an addiction to my Z6, but I will wait and see Nikon’s response to this latest issue. From reports and images it looks that the lug has not been correctly secured to the body. And the separation has occurred without heavy load from the straps.

Nikon should, regardless of this issue, list what load these lugs are designed for on all of the current cameras.
/Jan

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 14:43:09 »
Recall updated with the broken strap issue :(

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisories-for-users-of-the-nikon-z-8-cameras.html

Thank you for this update.

My Z8 is also eligible for this repair. As I have been waiting almost two months for Nikon to ask for my Z8, at least both repairs should be done at the same time instead of my having to send it in twice.

I just wish Nikon would get on with it.
Anthony Macaulay

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 17:04:30 »
I just delivered my Z8 for repair/update.

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 21:38:59 »
I'm sure many of you have read the opinion piece on Tom Hogans site

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/second-z8-service-advisory.html

Interesting to digest that carrying the Z8 by a strap connected to the potentially risky lugs is basically not recommended till they're fixed.
I don't have a Z8 but have used a strap that attaches to the bottom plate/tripod socket of my D500 for some years.
I did this because I find it more usable than the traditional lugs, but that's pure coincidence.

I'm sure Z8 users are already taking steps on this, but it appears this recall might possibly take Nikon a little while to work through

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 09:21:54 »
I took my Z8 into service on Tuesday and got it back today (< 48 h turnaround). I guess in many ways I was lucky not to have to wait for a long time for a shipping label nor did I have to do two tours (I had not sent mine in for the first recall because my camera wasn't showing symptoms). The second one was scary as I do use and rely on the camera strap. I do hope there is no need for more recalls for this camera and that these problems don't repeat on future camera models. I do really like the Z8 very much and can't wait to get back shooting with it.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 21:10:55 »
UPS picked up my Z8 this afternoon.

Let's hope that it will come back still this year  ::)