Author Topic: Rumor of the Z version of Df  (Read 2588 times)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Rumor of the Z version of Df
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2023, 01:06:18 »
In my Nikon dream, I get a phone call from Nikon asking me if will accept the new Df with an optical viewfinder(and mirror box,penta prism and shutter. . . )

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2023, 16:51:25 »
In my Nikon dream, I get a phone call from Nikon asking me if will accept the new Df with an optical viewfinder(and mirror box,penta prism and shutter. . . )

What a beautiful dream...(sigh).
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2023, 18:20:52 »

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2023, 20:41:53 »
Looks nice :) a refined and polished version of the Z fc ... however, Nikon started it all black instead of the Panda appearance, and FX instead of DX. This might be something for me, after all :) I only hope they didn't cut back on essentials in order to pinch a penny or two, like they did with Z fc.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2023, 01:04:07 »
Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2023, 12:12:32 »
Looks more and more legit - However still a rumor ;)
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2023, 13:50:49 »
Any way this turns out in the end, I have put aside adequate funds :) Just in case.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2023, 04:23:39 »
And following your example, Birna, or their own instincts, so will many others; at ages like eighty-four and over, it is not difficult to find the cost , compared with the difficulty of finding the things worthy of  spending it. I judge it as being  a worthy expenditure, despite no OV and no penta prism, and I will  buy one

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2023, 14:29:02 »
Looks nice :) a refined and polished version of the Z fc ... however, Nikon started it all black instead of the Panda appearance, and FX instead of DX. This might be something for me, after all :) I only hope they didn't cut back on essentials in order to pinch a penny or two, like they did with Z fc.

I'm sure it will have the insides of a Z8!!  ;) :o

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2023, 17:40:12 »
Even in your dream, there is no room for a mirror box... Sorry...   LZ

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2023, 21:29:04 »
Nice. but as a complement, or even alternative, I'd like an AI / non-AI lens adapter with aperture following. Dear Santa, ...
Airy Magnien

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2023, 22:07:24 »
Nice. but as a complement, or even alternative, I'd like an AI / non-AI lens adapter with aperture following. Dear Santa, ...
It's nice that Nikon creates retro-inspired cameras, but the support of retro lenses that is still somewhat lacking. An AI FTZ adapter would be a good move, I am a little surprised that no third party manufacturers (to my knowledge) have made one.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2023, 11:40:31 »
It's nice that Nikon creates retro-inspired cameras, but the support of retro lenses that is still somewhat lacking. An AI FTZ adapter would be a good move, I am a little surprised that no third party manufacturers (to my knowledge) have made one.

I believe that third-party manufacturers make lenses for Z mount that have aperture rings. I don't know how many of these are full-frame though.

Making an FTZ clone could prove out to be tricky.

A Df II could be made for F mount, but Nikon seem to have decided not to work on new DSLR cameras at least for the time being.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2023, 13:15:49 »
Slowly, we see the arrival of DX and FX-format third-party lenses that have "cracked" the communication protocol so they provide automated features on the Z-format Nikons.

Such lenses reduce the demand for AI-coupled adapters, perhaps? Still it would be nice to have them, but that would require mechanical solutions (not difficult) to the adapters, plus decoding/encoding electronic in the adapter itself (probably the biggest hurdle here). On F-mount systems, the latter stage occurred in the camera so didn't trouble the third-party makers to an equal degree.