Author Topic: Nikon Z8 is here  (Read 6391 times)

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
Re: Nikon Z8 is here
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2023, 11:49:53 »
at the moment Hamer and Calumet
Thomas Stellwag

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2023, 19:53:08 »
A Z8 kit is available (that is, pre-orderable) with Z8 + 24-120/4 Z-Nikkor S @ 5549€, that is you get the 24-120/4  for 950€ (RRP=1329€, not bad!)

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2023, 20:33:38 »
The Z8 seems to be an awesome can do everything camera.

Personally I prefer a compact body with a custom combined arca plate / grip extender over a big pro body so would prefer the Z8 over the Z9 knowing they share the majority of key features (don't care about gps myself).

With the USB-C port you can top off the battery almost anywhere during a break where there is a USB, 12v sigaret or wall socket so the smaller battery is a complete non issue for me.

For now I am completely settled with the A7IV, 35/1.4GM and 200-600G but it's good to see Nikon is slowly filling in the blanks for a possible return to Nikon in the future :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 10:37:34 »
Looks really like a D800- D850 series sister camera - Very nicely done Nikon!
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 12:03:21 »
Size wise the Z8 is also closer to the D850 than the Z7II.

Cheers,
Jan Anne

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2023, 17:51:15 »
This camera ticks all the boxes for me. Perhaps a tiny bit heavy for my liking.
There’s only one small problem and there’re 4600 of them. :(
Chris Dees

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2023, 19:45:10 »
RIP canon :o :o :o

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2023, 20:03:15 »
I suppose its too much to hope they'll do a DX stablemate?

There was much to be said for the days of the D3/D700/D300 trio...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2023, 21:34:50 »
The omission of mechanical shutter units will be a major trend started by SIGMA.  :P
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2023, 06:03:55 »
Now the only moving part is the VR-enabled sensor, instead of having a shutter life spec (for pro D series: 400K shots, Z9: ∞ ), maybe they'll introduce a sensor life spec... ;)

I read that sensor goes into a safe, parked mode when you turn off the camera, one will have to remember to turn it off before caroming down a mountain ;D

As for the size comparison, looks like I could do without an extra grip with the Z8, I added an extra grip to D70, D100, D200, D300, D600, D500, D7000, D810, Z6, Z7: they fit my hands better. Z8 seems about right for my hands as is.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2023, 08:17:19 »
Now the only moving part is the VR-enabled sensor, instead of having a shutter life spec (for pro D series: 400K shots, Z9: ∞ ), maybe they'll introduce a sensor life spec... ;)

Ciao from Massimo

My wild guess is that an APS-C camera with a full frame sensor can even eliminate the IBIS mechanism.  The electric image stabilization itself has long been inplemented.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2023, 20:17:54 »
I saw Thom Hogan do an on-line presentation on the Nikon Z8 that was sponsored by the Creative Photo Academy yesterday (Friday) afternoon (Alaska time).
What I perceive as the biggest game changer from this presentation is the use of 10-bit HEIF files instead of jpegs (which are 8-bit). He shot an example (live) of a small high contrast set-up. The camera was wired so that we could watch the VF images; most importantly the histograms. What had been blown (highlights) for the jpeg was not blown for the HEIF. Keep in mind that he was using a pre-production camera body. The implication is that in the future we may be able to chimp 10-bit images rather than 8-bit that has been the digital standard until now. This will make a chimped image much more realistic exposure-wise when shooting raw files.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2023, 10:10:21 »
Now there's a Z8 entry in downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com, but there's only the 3D LUT manual, no reference manual yet.

Meanwhile, the FW update 1.40 for the Zfc has been published!

Ciao from Massimo

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2023, 11:15:03 »
I saw Thom Hogan do an on-line presentation on the Nikon Z8 that was sponsored by the Creative Photo Academy yesterday (Friday) afternoon (Alaska time).
What I perceive as the biggest game changer from this presentation is the use of 10-bit HEIF files instead of jpegs (which are 8-bit). He shot an example (live) of a small high contrast set-up. The camera was wired so that we could watch the VF images; most importantly the histograms. What had been blown (highlights) for the jpeg was not blown for the HEIF. Keep in mind that he was using a pre-production camera body. The implication is that in the future we may be able to chimp 10-bit images rather than 8-bit that has been the digital standard until now. This will make a chimped image much more realistic exposure-wise when shooting raw files.

Link to the recording here as long as it stays up (posted by someone at DPreview, which is still tagging along...) :
https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/j-zTdhJ-Y9CpzNPnQadko0IOYcM0fVUQZo1gu8-fNFaO500ufQuJSq0XL1so39EL.E68FW3HXAzM0G2Uz]

He also pointed out the similarity in size to the D500...
Øivind Tøien

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2023, 18:16:10 »
I am really tempted, must sell a kidney or just most of the not very often used equipment ??? (D500, D800 some lenses and the Df  :-\ )
It should nice replace a D500, just put it in DX mode, and you have the "reach" of the D500 and nearly the same pixel dimensions. (as with D500 and D850).