Author Topic: Nikon Z8 is here  (Read 6392 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Nikon Z8 is here
« on: May 10, 2023, 15:35:46 »
I'll make this thread a placeholder for any contributions on the long rumoured, now official 'baby Z9'.

Meanwhile, enjoy the official video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmICzTiHO88

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Nikon Z8 is here
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 17:01:18 »
€4.599,00

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 17:08:47 »
You guessed right, Birna! This release should adversely affect Z9 sales. . . and a rising price of future Z8 sales. My predictions.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 17:09:17 »
Seems to be a reversion to the D3/D700 relationship which Nikon abandoned long ago.
Anthony Macaulay

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 17:21:30 »
People will be selling their Z9's for the lighter, smaller Z8, and Nikon has increased their prices at the right moment?!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 18:13:07 »
You guessed right, Birna! This release should adversely affect Z9 sales. . . and a rising price of future Z8 sales. My predictions.

I doubt it. The Z8 is so close to the Z9 price and yet with small battery (so you have to frequently swap batteries) and no built-in vertical grip. The accessory grip doesn't accept the EN-EL18. What's more, with the accessory grip, the Z8 is significantly larger than the Z9. The second slot is SD so one has to carry two sets of cards and likely using it for backup causes a significant slowdown.  It's like the Z8 was designed to boost Z9 sales. As far as I am concerned, they are succeeding.

The D700 was 43% cheaper than the D3. The Z8 is only about 20% cheaper than the Z9.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 19:13:58 »
Well, the Z8 introductory price here is $A6,999 versus $7,999 for the now slightly discounted Z9 street price.  The hand grip for the Z8 is another $A675, so the Z9 for an extra $A325 looks like a better value proposition to me unless of course the Z8 street prices fall really quickly.

The D700 was 43% cheaper than the D3. The Z8 is only about 20% cheaper than the Z9.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 19:44:41 »
While we wait for a Z8 to land on out shores, why not enjoy the crisp product photos Nikon UK provided? They are reduced size-wise here to fit NG guidelines. The originals were super crisp, though. Very enticing.

The Norwegian pricing level for the Z8 is set very high, nearly 80% of the Z9. Or at least the Z9 price before the recent price hike.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 19:51:58 »
The Z8 carries over two important Z9 features; an electronic shutter thus no shutter curtains; and the protection shield to prevent ingress of dust and dirt to the sensor.

Apparently no built-in GPS, however there are independent units that can plug into the 10-pin port for acquiring geospatial coordinates.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 20:40:37 »
Many thanks for the picture Birna - it looks very carefully designed. Compared to the D850 we can see the huge advancements in technology
Daniel Diggelmann

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 21:21:39 »
GPS - Smartphone apps and pp synchronisation work so well that the absence of GPS on the Z8 is irrelevant.

I have a Z9 and two Z7II bodies.

I have pre-ordered the Z8, but I am having second thoughts.

If the Z9 and Z8 had been released at the same time, I would have gone for the Z8.

But they weren't.

Mrs A, an artist, sometimes uses the Z7II, but tends to find it rather heavy.

The Z8 is even heavier.

The Z7II image quality is stunning, and, as I have shown in the Thomas Heaton Iceland thread, can take excellent action photos. As it is quite light, it is more useful to me whenever I do not need the superb Z9 AF.

If I sell the Z9 I will raise enough cash to pay for a Z8. But lose the advantages of the pro body.

My current thinking is that I should have a superb action and wildlife camera (Z9) and a lighter body for general use. The weight advantage is not enough to make me swap a Z9 for Z8 at roughly no cost or financial benefit.

So I think I will stick with what I have and cancel my preorder.

I reserve the right to change my mind.

YMMV.
Anthony Macaulay

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 22:01:14 »
No immediate plans for any Z8 myself. I happen to like the Z9 -- and the black Z fc. For special purposes [UV, IR, studio close-ups and photomacrography] there are Z5, Z6, and Z7 cameras. Plus the tiny Z 30 which I can share with Ruth on travels if it isn't occupied hosting a Rodenstock lens :)

First samples of the Z8 should be available in the next weeks. I'll have a look at it then, but have no plans for a full in-depth review.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2023, 11:08:59 »
Mamma Mia !

Here we go again...

How can I resist it?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

mmmmmmh, most sites say Available: (official Nikon store) nikonstore.it says so, but you'll end up in a waiting line for a preordered item, btw price in Italy is 4599€

There's not going to be any Z8 around until there's an entry in the downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com (and there isn't...), so the manual can be downloaded.

I'll be waiting until Z8 is really out, and see if they implement the Z9 (easy prediction, but maybe not immediately -another easy prediction-) with Z8 novelties...

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2023, 11:17:31 »
in Germany some bigger dealers start Z8 campain and offer direct upgrade prices for Z6II and 7II
Thomas Stellwag

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 11:48:35 »
in Germany some bigger dealers start Z8 campain and offer direct upgrade prices for Z6II and 7II

Which shops Thomas?