Author Topic: Response to the Future of NikonGear.net/.com/.org  (Read 6454 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Response to the Future of NikonGear.net/.com/.org
« on: April 09, 2023, 09:06:39 »
In response to Birna's post on the future of NikonGear, I'd like to comment. With DPreview gone, and Luminous Landscape (IMO) moribund, we are fast losing some important photography forum sites. I don't want to see that happen, especially with NikonGear. And so, thanks to Birna for bringing this to our attention.

Can someone please remind me of how we contribute now? I thought we were automatically debited some amount each year? Please remind me. And let's raise the amount we contribute so there is not a burden on Birna who has given us so much over the years.

Let's figure this out please.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Response to the Future of NikonGear.net/.com/.org
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 09:27:58 »
Birna and all other friends we will not like to see Nikon gear go!
Simply put what would a new annual contribution mean per person to at least cover expenses?
Thank you, happy Easter holidays.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 09:33:02 »
It might also help to know
- how many NG Supporters we currently have
- how many NG Members we have who have made a post in the last (say) 6 months

Contributions could potentially come from people currently in either group

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 10:19:29 »
The last count of supporters = 72.

(subscribers are debited an annual subscriber fee of 20 Euros or equivalent, done through Paypal)

Registered members = approx. 2500

Running costs = approx. $2200 and climbing

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Response to the Future of NikonGear.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 10:52:29 »
The last count of supporters = 72.

(subscribers are debited an annual subscriber fee of 20 Euros or equivalent, done through Paypal)

Registered members = approx. 2500

Running costs = approx. $2200 and climbing

What plans do we have to continue? If the 72 members paid $30 per year we still are short. How about $35 per year or $40?

DPreview is gone, LuLa is not active, Lloyd Chambers is pretty much Medium Format, Thom Hogan is very active and helpful, and Nikon Rumors is useful.

what other forum sites do folks visit and find useful?

And what about the 2500 members? How do we get them to contribute?

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 13:20:14 »
This sounds scary, if all pays only a few euros would be needed.
As many other sites are closing, some sort of information campaign might give the needed paying supporters.
This is a place that must not go away.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 13:54:57 »
I'm talking to people I konw personally, members but not supporters, that I know can, to give a try to the 20€/year subscription. Awareness about the special community, the no coockies/no advertising policies (thanks!!!!) and the many generous contributions of everybody here. The sense safe heaven. It is not free but it is very close...

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 14:00:36 »
Raising the number of supporters should be the goal. If we can even decrease the amount needed from everyone the awareness will be there.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 14:44:41 »
it makes not much sense to discuss here, why most people do not understand, that everything they get for free, is paid by someone else
one the other hand, it is a must that Birna and her team do not pay one cent, for creating this excellent platform and knowlegde base
people, who are financially healthy enough to cover cost, should clearly rethink their actual membership
on the other hand, out of the 2500 mentioned members are for sure some, that just seeked an answer to a problem and then forget about the forum until their next problem occurs
my immediate action proposal is: NG team announces cost of 2023 soon and for the following years alway in the autum in advance
for the running period 2 indicator bars are shown  beside the logo, which give everybody a clear view, how much of the running cost is existing and how much is covered.
this will increase the awareness of the situation. My hope is, then the 2 following reactions will take place:
1) after a nice meeting, a super support, or any other help form the forum, you may be willing to make extra donation
2) all those who do not want to become supporting member, or are only occassional here, got help, advanced in theirs skills, can give a small donation related to their benefit

Thomas Stellwag

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 15:07:38 »
$2200 is extortionate!

I run https://nikondslr.uk for about £25 per year - the cost of the domain registration.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 15:39:11 »
OK.  I'm in.  I have two questions:

1--I don't use PayPal.  Can I pay using a credit/debit card?

2--How?  How do I contribute?  I don't see a link to any method of paying (but I'm dense and may just be missing it).
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 16:34:08 »
On 18 March I posted this inquiry in the Site Issues section in the thread Re: Supporter - Membership of Nikon Gear :

I no longer maintain a PayPal account.

I'd very much like to retain my subscriber status at NikonGear.

Is there any alternative to the use of PayPal for supporting Nikon Gear?

Bob

Birna very promptly replied:

I sent a PM to Jan Anne and he should be able to help.

After thanking Birna on that thread I've checked both the "My Messages" section of the board daily as well as looking for an e-mail from Jan Anne or any other of the powers that be here at Nikon Gear.

Truly, I'd like maintain my subscriber status in order to contribute to the upkeep of this site. I became a subscriber due to the civility practiced by members and guests alike as well as the quality of the posted images and depth of technical discussion.

Is an alternative to PayPal available? If not can some other means of payment be arranged?

Thank you,

Bob Foster

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023, 16:50:54 »
OK.  I'm in.  I have two questions:

1--I don't use PayPal.  Can I pay using a credit/debit card?

2--How?  How do I contribute?  I don't see a link to any method of paying (but I'm dense and may just be missing it).

When you have logged in, look at the bottom of the yellow banner. You will see assorted options including Home, Search, My Messages, etc.

Click on Profile and select Summary.

Just below the banner you will now see three options, one of which is Profile Actions. Click on that and the top option is Paid Subscriptions.

Payment might be made through PayPal but you do not need an account; a credit card will do nicely.

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2023, 17:29:47 »
Thank you Ian.

Despite the "button" being labeled "Order with PayPal" I was able to renew my subscription for another year. Yes, PayPal is the agent/means of making the payment but apparently maintaining a PayPal account is not necessary.

Bob

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2023, 18:53:20 »
Thank, Ian. 

I am now a subscriber!
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/