Author Topic: New UV / IR Camera - Need Advice On Lenses & Filters  (Read 592 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
New UV / IR Camera - Need Advice On Lenses & Filters
« on: February 27, 2023, 05:39:54 »
I just purchased a Fujifilm IS Pro full spectrum digital camera (see photo).  It must be a somewhat rare camera as I could not find a single video on it in YouTube.

I already have minimal experience with IR photography and own an IR converted Nikon D200 camera.  The lens that I use on it is a Nikkor 28mm f/3.5.   I am quite pleased with the IR images this set up produces.

My understanding is that my new Fuji IS Pro is an even more capable IR camera than my IR converted D200.   

After doing a bit of research on my new Fuji IS Pro camera, I've found that one must use UV and IR filters on the lenses that you attach to the IS Pro.   So, before I go out and buy an assortment of IR and UV filters, I thought I'd ask you folks for recommendations on what types of these filters I might need?

Also, I'm happy with my Nikkor 28/3.5 lens and expect that it will perform well on my IS Pro, at least for IR photography.   

However, I have never shot UV photography before and would like to hear your suggestions on some good (but not too expensive) UV lenses that I should consider.  After reviewing Birna's old website, I went ahead and purchased a Novoflex Noflexar 35mm f3.5 lens in M42 mount for my first UV lens.  So hopefully that's a good start to my UV lenses.  Maybe my next UV lens will be a macro or a 105mm-ish lens.

Thank you, I look forward to your responses...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: New UV / IR Camera - Need Advice On Lenses & Filters
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 09:38:32 »
The Fuji IS Pro is a modified D200-clone, if memory serves. So quite similar to the Fuji S5 Pro. NB: The battery has the form factor from D200 unit, but they are not interchangeable even though you can use the charger for D200 :) Both Fuji and D200 can use the same GPS, remote controls, finder cups, and L-brackets.

For IR, any R72-class filter will do nicely and there is some residual colours present if you wish to experiment. The B+W 093 filter (approx. cut-off below 830nm) renders the scenes in monochrome and the IR "effect" is much stronger. Be aware that the RAF files will have a strong reddish cast straight off the camera, but they are easily cast into b/w.

The Noflexar is very good for IR and UV as well. The Baader U filter is recommended, but carries a steep price. You also need a step ring to mount it on the Noflexar (filter: 48mm, lens: 49mm).

For pointers to lenses for UV (and some for IR), meander over to our sister site https://ultravioletphotography.com and read the Stickies there.

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 19:27:00 »
Birna, thank you for the great advice on lenses and filters for UV and IR with the Fujifilm IS Pro full spectrum camera!

I am quite happy with my IR converted D200 camera body, and may keep it and leave the Nikkor 28/3.5 lens on it for my IR photography.

As for my UV photography,  I am considering using the Fujifilm IS Pro only for UV images.  Hopefully I'll find a lens or two that I like for UV photography, get a Baader U filter, and use those lenses and filter on the IS Pro just for UV photos.

I've always been an advocate of keeping my photography simple, and having one camera for IR and another for UV with a very limited number of lenses will simplify things for me, shorten the learning curve, and enable me to master my gear quicker.

You mentioned that many D200 accessories will work on the Fuji IS Pro.   Do you know if the D200 power grip will work on a Fuji IS Pro?  If so, would I be able to use D200 batteries in the grip, or would I need to run the Fuji IS Pro batteries in it?  If you don't know, I'll test this idea myself in the future and report back here with the results.

Birna, I reviewed many of your UV photos on your old website.   I particularly like the UV rendering of:  water/waves, reflections, trees, and water lilies.  While I do like how some flowers look in UV, so many seem to turn out with a bland white rendering which has little appeal to me.

I especially thank you for the referral to the UV photography blog.  I was not aware of that site, and plan to join and participate in their discussions.

I have a small/new YouTube channel and in time I'm sure that I will make and post a video to it that features this Fujifilm IS Pro camera and photos I take with it.  https://www.youtube.com/@AffordablePhotography

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 22:01:31 »
Do you know if the D200 power grip will work on a Fuji IS Pro?  If so, would I be able to use D200 batteries in the grip, or would I need to run the Fuji IS Pro batteries in it? 
The MB-D200 will work, but only with the NP-150,  the dedicated Fuji-battery.  The MB-D200 also offers the possibility to use 4 AA batteries. 

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 00:59:24 »
John, thank you for your response!

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 23:57:50 »
I'd like to add one small caution.  In the film era there were UV-pass filters that leaked some IR, but that typically didn't matter because only specialized films were sensitive to IR. 

With the transition to digital we now have to be concerned with IR leakage affecting images that are intended to be UV-only.  My point is to be cautious with any old inexpensive UV-pass filters you may find, because they may or may not be IR leakers.  Given the disparity between the amount of UV vs. near-IR in sunlight, even a modest IR leak can have an outsized effect on a UV image.  Birna's linked site discusses this in far more detail.

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 04:12:12 »
Bill, thank you for the advice.

In the past, I have owned some filters that were made by Kolari Vision.  I was very happy with their performance.

I am thinking of purchasing my UV-pass filter directly from the Kolari Vision website  -   https://kolarivision.com/product/uv-bandpass-lens-filter/