Author Topic: Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.2 and 26mm f/2.8  (Read 1869 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.2 and 26mm f/2.8
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2023, 08:51:01 »
It is interesting that Nikon chose a unique focal length of 26mm.

I'm not familiar with the situation outside Japane, but here in Japan, some market researches tells that there are a lot of people who become interested in the photography jump right into the full-frame world from the smartphone.  And the 26mm on FX offers the very angle-of-view that the "standard lens" of the smartphone camera.

It behaves as the equivalent of a 40mm lens on a DX body, which, of course makes the perfect sense, too.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 11:37:38 »

I'm not familiar with the situation outside Japane, but here in Japan, some market researches tells that there are a lot of people who become interested in the photography jump right into the full-frame world from the smartphone.  And the 26mm on FX offers the very angle-of-view that the "standard lens" of the smartphone camera.

It behaves as the equivalent of a 40mm lens on a DX body, which, of course makes the perfect sense, too.

It's certainly possible that Nikon thought of smartphone users and the most common smartphone lens angle of view when setting out to design the 26mm pancake. However, a major reason to purchase a dedicated camera is the possibilities offered by using *other* focal lengths and so I am not sure if these new ILC users would be keen on spending so much money on the lens which doesn't allow them to differentiate as much from the smartphone (though the depth of field wide open will be significantly shallower). I sure hope the image quality and larger aperture is enough to persuade them.

I suspect that a lot of people who purchase this lens will be buying it because of its very small size which is in stark contrast to what many of us are used to. And we'll be coming from all kinds of histories of photography involvement.

The 40mm equivalent field of view on DX is definitely useful as well; I really liked 80mm as the normal lens on 6x7 cm format and the size and shape of the lens would be a good match to the Zfc. However, then one might miss a wider angle if deciding to stick to DX.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 14:53:16 »
I see a price of €8740, wow! https://www.fotodevakman.nl/nikon-nikkor-z-portretlens-85-mm-f-1-2-s this shop must have got completely wrong. So i contacted them.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 19:02:09 »

Sometimes 24 is too short and 28 too long. I think this is a good compromise actually.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 21:11:06 »
Sometimes 24 is too short and 28 too long. I think this is a good compromise actually.
And sometimes 22mm or 30mm is just right too :o :)

In the rangefinder days, Nikon had a 2.5cm (25mm) lens, but they switched to 24mm for their F-mount lens to give better separation from their 28mm lens.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2023, 23:09:15 »
Regarding the 26 mm lens I was thinking myself, why I eventually should buy it (already owning the 28mm and 40 mm pancakes). It is more compact yes (but what about the camera it requires)
and then why should people buy it for this price having the other cheaper options

(It is not anamorphic as proposed), it has got a metal bayonet and three aspheric lens element (compared to two), so we have to see whether the latter makes an impact on IQ

Then I read Akira

and so far this is the most plausible explanation for Nikons choice I have read of.

then maybe add Nikons favor for offering unique focal lengths (such as the 58mm Noct and the 19 mm PC)
Wolfgang Rehm