Author Topic: WR-R10 and HDMI cable simultaneously attached to Z7 not possible?  (Read 1044 times)

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
It seems impossible to have both the WR-R10 and an HDMI cable mounted simultaneously on my Z7 II. I tried with 3 different cables with no success. There is simply not enough space between the 2 ports.

I tried to attach the WR-10 to the GP-1A which has input for the same type of connector (DC-2), but it did not work.

Does anyone have a workaround for this problem?

P.S. I posted the same question on DPREVIEW, but so far, I got very little response - mainly suggesting angled HDMI cables, which I am not sure will solve the problem.

Kim

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: WR-R10 and HDMI cable simultaneously attached to Z7 not possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 07:41:17 »
It seems impossible to have both the WR-R10 and an HDMI cable mounted simultaneously on my Z7 II. I tried with 3 different cables with no success. There is simply not enough space between the 2 ports.

How much extra space would you need?

Can I ask what your application is? Are you trying to activate video recording from the remote while storing the data on an external recorder?

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 08:00:52 »
How much extra space would you need?

Can I ask what your application is? Are you trying to activate video recording from the remote while storing the data on an external recorder?

I need about 4 (5) mm extra space.

I want to use the WR-R10 for Radio AWL (control of flashes) and the HDMI for an external monitor.
Kim

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 08:49:37 »
I need about 4 (5) mm extra space.

I want to use the WR-R10 for Radio AWL (control of flashes) and the HDMI for an external monitor.

I am not sure if the WR-R10b has sufficiently different shape from the WR-R10 that the HDMI cable would fit, and I know these are expensive bits, but it's a possibility that it might work. I would not buy the WR-R10b just to test it but if you can ask Nikon about this issue they might be able to say if it would fit better or not.

One alternative would be to use wifi to connect to a mobile device and display the live view on that. Software such as qdslrdashboard or Snapbridge should allow this (with quirks) via wifi. Also they let you remote trigger the camera but there is a longer delay than when using the WR-R10 and WR-T10.

Another approach would be to use the USB cable to tether to a laptop and there you could use Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 or third-party software to display the live view, control the camera settings, trigger the shot and store the images. Other tethering software is also available but probably CCP2 has the most comprehensive control of camera settings.

There is also the Manfrotto Digital Director which allows one to use USB cable to attach to the camera and display the live view on an iPad. The product comes with a holder for the iPad (of different sizes). I am not sure if this product is still current. I think it's mainly intended for videography.

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 09:06:46 »
Thanks for your thoughts Ilkka. I want to use this setup in a tent blind. I have the camera low to the ground and therefore a small external monitor is very useful.

I have had no luck with SnapBridge and I would not like a delay. I have Camera Control Pro, which is probably the best option, but it requires a laptop, which is not so convenient in the field.

I could also have the monitor attached, skip the Nikon AWL, and trigger the flashes from a radio trigger in the hot shoe.

The new WR-11b looks like being just at big.
Kim

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 14:54:48 »
Cut/dremel 2mm material of each of the plastic plug ends where they have interference
Erik Lund

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 09:03:16 »
I wonder whether it would be possible to get LiveView output to the monitor via the USB-C port and a USB C to HDMI adapter?
Kim