Author Topic: ZfC / Df Intuitive Learning  (Read 881 times)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
ZfC / Df Intuitive Learning
« on: September 30, 2022, 17:42:04 »
This last couple of weeks has been rather quiet on the NikonGear Forum and I wonder if it is in some measure indicative of the intuitive nature of these two cameras' intuitive natures of their menu composure. There is no shortage of positive criticism of the Df's intuitive menu system, which no doubt endears it to owners, but I don't think I have ever seen similar comments on the newer Nikon darling and its  intuitive nature, or lack there of. What do owners/users of both cameras think? Is the newer camera a worthy inheritor of the Df praise? The fact that one is a digital reflex system camera and the other a mirrorless camera system shouldn't come into it. I am interested in your evaluations. This is not a question demanding a comparison of the two systems' but of their  ease of use. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: ZfC / Df Intuitive Learning
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 21:20:14 »
Coming from the Df, handling of the Z fc is very easy and offer few surprises. There are video aspects of course, but these are easy to ignore if you don't intend to do video stuff. Z fc is lighter and somewhat smaller in size, which can be beneficial ever so often. For my hands both cameras handle with ease, as I don't have large hands.

The finder of Z fc is brighter and many might consider focusing manual lenses easier with the EVF. I'm not that enthusiastic as I find using in particular slower or wide lenses on the Z fc allows less precise focusing than the Df. To be fair, the latter has a split-image screen which is really helpful for such lenses.

The biggest difference for my use is that AF lenses can more easily  be integrated with Z fc operation, whilst Df is superb with manual lenses. For me it's not either-or, but both.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 22:44:12 »
I find them to be two completely different cameras.
I like the Df for its special rendering and indeed made for manual lenses.
The Zfc is a modern dx format mirrorless cam small size snappy with a very different output.
Somehow mirrorless always reminds me of smartphone cameras a bit one dimensional!
And so the "imperfection of dslr" seems to be more organic and therefore closer to the human nature.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 14:59:03 »
I find them to be two completely different cameras.
I like the Df for its special rendering and indeed made for manual lenses.
The Zfc is a modern dx format mirrorless cam small size snappy with a very different output.
Somehow mirrorless always reminds me of smartphone cameras a bit one dimensional!
And so the "imperfection of dslr" seems to be more organic and therefore closer to the human nature.
I have the exact same observations
Erik Lund