Author Topic: Capture NX-D v1.6.5 Crashes on startup...  (Read 1700 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Capture NX-D v1.6.5 Crashes on startup...
« on: September 11, 2022, 02:31:10 »
I tried installing Nikon Capture NX-D v1.6.5 on my MacBook Pro M1 Monterey with Rosetta 2 update and it crashes on startup 100% of the time. Is this expected behavior on a MAC M1?

I'm trying to move my work in Capture NX-D saved in *.nxd files (save all settings) and then via *.nksc files in NX Studio save that work to *.nka files. I've been searching but have found no useful hits. In NX Studio when I try to "Load adjustments" the *.nxd files are grayed out while *.nka files are available.

Does anyone know if Nikon has offered a way to convert *.nxd files to *.nka files directly? It looks like Nikon doesn't give a DAMN about the work photographers have saved in the *.nxd files.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
Re: Capture NX-D v1.6.5 Crashes on startup...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 18:36:59 »
Hello!

Is anyone successfully running Nikon Capture NX-D on a MAC M1 running macOS Monterey (v12.6) with Rosetta 2 upgrade?

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 00:23:42 »
Do I understand that no one on this board is using a MacBook Pro M1 (Apple Silicon) with Nikon software?

Is there a good reason for this?

Dave

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 01:55:41 »
Dave, sorry about your problem.

I'm afraid it has been long since I had stopped using the Nikon editor, but would there be any reason to keep using CNX-D on a M1 MacBook when the latest NX Studio is compatible with Big Sur and Monterery?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 02:42:48 »
Dave - see other post on NX Studio
NX-D works fine as well on my M1 MBP 14”

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 20:54:07 »
... would there be any reason to keep using CNX-D on a M1 MacBook when the latest NX Studio is compatible with Big Sur and Monterery?
I can't speak for Dave on this Akira, but there's little I actually enjoy using about NX Studio and much that I miss about CNX-D
To me, the usability and performance of the later "Studio" iteration of Nikon's editor leave much to be desired on my Win 10 16Gb machine compared to the earlier CNX-D

I'm sure this is a lost cause though and also may have nothing to do with Dave's mission.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 01:03:51 »
I'm sure this is a lost cause though and also may have nothing to do with Dave's mission.

I like the organization of NX Studio better than Capture NX-D but making fine adjustments in NX Studio pallets is quite difficult. I notice this consistently when using LCH. I would like to see numeric inputs and the ability to use the arrow key to nudge settings as I'm used to in Photoshop. I used to occasionally undock the Master Lightness in CNX-D to get better fine control. That functionality is lost in NX Studio.

Dave

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 03:27:07 »
Just looked through the manual for Sutudio NX, and found that the core function hasn't been changed from NXD that I used to use when I had D750.  NXD was not particularly fast software on my Haswell i5 16GB Win10 machine, but Adobe CC is not particularly faster even on my current 10th gen i7 32GB Win10 machine compared to my previous i5.

I used LCH editor mostly for tweaking my UV/IR images, so the color accuracy and the ability for the fine adjustment is not all that important.  I was satisfied with C NXD and unsbscribed Adobe CC while I was using it.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

chitragya

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear'23
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 06:23:20 »
Switch to NX Studio, which has more options and is more compatible with newer cameras.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 00:29:08 »
Switch to NX Studio, which has more options and is more compatible with newer cameras.
It's too late now, but NX studio was a backwards step from Capture NX in usability