Author Topic: Nikon ceases to develop DSLRs.  (Read 3013 times)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon ceases to develop DSLRs.
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2022, 04:32:31 »
Lag? I remember lag! Remember those cute mini P&S cig. pack sized cameras? My wife and I had three, at least-a Pentax, a Sony and a Casio, all with postage sized TV screens and all with zoom viewfinders. They accompanied us on backpacking trips to Europe, and captured hundreds of postcard worthy prints, during their sometimes limited lives, but it's lucky that those cathedrals had stood waiting for us for five or six hundred years.They didn't care about half a second of lag. And nor did we, for it was our first immersion in digital photography, and well past our Nikon F2 35 mm days living in Europe. I have no doubts that you people remember similar experiences.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2022, 09:18:12 »
Life is about change, we often mistakenly call progress.
Paradise lost, paradise regained.
Now i have two systems, mirror and sans-mirror.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2022, 11:25:50 »
I welcomed the Z-System and aquired Z6;z9 and some lenses as well as I am happy with the compatibility to CPU/AF-S/VR lenses in F-mount. Nevertheless the vast majority of my lenses is still F-mount and SLRs. In many situations I prefer SLR viewfinders - not neglecting the benefits mirrorless finders offer in other situations. I am not amused with sitting in a system that wont be developed further (the 120-300 mm f/2,8 might have been the last released F-mount lenses), is already facing the first bricks due to discnontinuation and waning support can be expected sooner or later - together with being more difficult to find replacements (yes there is a huge second hand potential that will last for the rest of my lifetime).

Nikon has more limited development production capacity than say Canon and needs to focus this limited capacities on establishing the Z-system (and has its troubles to supply their new products in numbers and meet demand), market is shrinking and Nikon was more significantly affected by losses of revenue and market share, eroding the financial basis even more. SLR phase out appears to be a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy - Nikon has little choice I guess (until potential newly revived demand for "Classic" cameras). They announced to continuously support both systems but might not have the choice to do so. As already has been adressed, Nikon is not very clear and honest in its communication and has not been earlier (G-lenses becoming mainstream, not only for cheap starters lenses, DX to FX, ...). We will see
Wolfgang Rehm