Author Topic: Nikon ceases to develop DSLRs.  (Read 3012 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Nikon ceases to develop DSLRs.
« on: July 12, 2022, 12:10:18 »
This article Nikkei (the Japanese newspaper for the economy) says that Nikon has (officially) ceased to develop DSLRs.

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUC219V60R20C22A6000000/

I admit that there still are advantages of DSLRs over mirrorless cameras, but I would think it is an outdated system.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Nikon ceases to develop DSLRs.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 14:55:59 »
Probably an inevitable outcome and not too surprising given the capability and success of the Z9.

Thanks for the link Akira - even if I cannot read Japanese!  :)
Hugh Gunn

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 15:19:01 »
It was a question of when Nikon (and other Camera makers) will give all its effort to its mirrorless models. This maybe the start of its full transition to mirrorless and hopefully becomes more accessible and affordable.
Keep shooting,
Bern

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 16:58:12 »

The story plot thickens:

Nikon denies the news....

https://www.nikon.com/news/2022/0712_01.htm
Keep shooting,
Bern

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 17:08:32 »
Does this announcement  herald the appearance of a full frame (24X36) Z fc? You know, some  mechanical linkages, dials and wheels, a minimum of buttons, no video, no flash, intuitive menu system. . . .

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 17:12:00 »
Have a look at Thom Hogan’s view on the article. The title says it all.   :)
https://bythom.com/newsviews/nikkei-needs-new-staff.html
Chris Dees

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 17:34:19 »
Let us hope!  ;D
Does this announcement  herald the appearance of a full frame (24X36) Z fc? You know, some  mechanical linkages, dials and wheels, a minimum of buttons, no video, no flash, intuitive menu system. . . .
Hugh Gunn

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 23:57:11 »
At this time I have about a dozen Nikon DSLRs (DX and FX) and maybe 30 Nikkor lenses plus other brands.  Others here probably have more gear than I do.  So, at my age and with my specific photographic interests, I really cannot envision ever needing--or wanting--another new camera of any type in the remainder of my lifetime.  I'm obviously not part of the target audience for Nikon's new camera line that seems aimed at video more than stills. 

Being out of step is actually not a Bad Thing, you know.   ;D
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 00:32:20 »
Folks, thank you for the follow-ups and comments.

Yes, I realized that Nikon officially denies the news posted by Nikkei.  Although Nikkei is a leading paper dealing with the economy, it sometimes makes a false start, possibly to go for the scoop.  (Like me?  :-[ )

Chris, thank you for the link to Thom Hogan's sane article.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 09:45:06 »
Just a correction:

Nikkei didn't say that Nikon ceases to "make" DSLRs.  It said that Nikon ceases to "develop" them.  Although the situation makes no big difference, the translation that Thom Hogan saw was not quite accurate.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 10:51:51 »
It’s got crazy out of hand here in Japan! Top news story!

One thing though - it shows the deep position Nikon has in the psyche of Japan, and even this dubious story is newsworthy.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 12:55:23 »
It’s got crazy out of hand here in Japan! Top news story!

One thing though - it shows the deep position Nikon has in the psyche of Japan, and even this dubious story is newsworthy.

I guess it's because the Japanese mass-media is afraid of dealing with the negative sides of the political administration.  Hence they are trying to make big noises with the not-so-essential, non-political topics.

That said, I'm well aware that discussing politics is not the raison d'être of this forum.  I hope the thread to stay on the initial topic.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 17:34:07 »
Maybe it could be instructive to recall how Nikon phased itself out of film camera production and AiS lens production.

In the case of film SLRs it left the bottom of the range entry level film FM10 (made for Nikon by Cosina) and the flagship F6 on the books for many years and they have only recently dropped the selected sub set of the AiS lens line that they sold for a decade or more.  Whether Nikon built up large warehouse stocks of these two film bodies and the AiS lenses that kept them going for ages or just occassionally built them in small batches to meet orders I am not sure.

So maybe some selected DSLRs to cover bottom, mid, and upper ends of the market for the next two or three years, plus a selected sub-set of F-Mount G Series lenses for perhaps a little longer?

However the day will come when Nikon DSLRs and F-Mount lenses will cease to be produced by Nikon.
Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 08:31:04 »
Thank you all for looking into the story, or should i say non-story  :o ;D
Erik Lund

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2022, 11:10:04 »
It is a Non-Story
But Nikons behavior the last months shows that there is some inner truth behind.  Lots of F-mount lenses and SLR cameras were discontinued (without even having proper replacement in the Z-line) - even the D500. Not too long ago Nikon promised to support both lines. Sad story but the shrinking market and Nikons limited capacities (all used up to establish the Z-lines) lead to evident outcome- even though mirrorless cant fully replace SLRs. I hope they will sell existing stuff for a long time and provide support.
With several SLRs and lots of F-mount lenses, plus two Z-bodies and a few selected lenses plus FTZ adapters I will be fine hopefully.
Wolfgang Rehm